Mostly new System from Carb to tail pipe. Classic stumbling. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Norcal, not on fire but it was darn close.
1985 FJ60

I replaced if not all EGR valves, muffler, carb, Idle solenoid, cat, plugs, wires, vacuum lines.
It now does not smoke, and yes EGR valves had deposits and were replaced.

Where do I start? Try the golf tee trick? Get a PDF of the lines?
Sadly Im so far in the country and no one wants new work on old cars that Id have to drive down to the bay area.
I have been taken advantage by 3 mechanics. So far new parts helped but its "Something" else.

Symptoms are starts up fine, drives nice. stalls at stop lights.
Turns back on, drives fine all day.

Take foot off pedal and it dies.

I had to hack in a new carb solenoid as the plug did not fit.
I have a buddy over right now he said he can use a tester to check the solenoid plastic connector might be cracked or not making connection.

He asked for a vacuum diagram.

Thanks.

1985 FJ60

Connect a vacuum gauge hose to a manifold intake port and lead it into the cab. See what it does when it's wanting to stall.
Over the years I collected 6 used EGR valves and all of them performed poorly even after cleaning. They were all over 20 years old - since new valves aren't available. I installed the best of the batch but it didn't behave like a new one.

Have you adjusted the idle mixture? Attached is the lean drop method, This is done to "meet" the smog requirements. maybe first try the adjustments without the drop at the end (step (g)). Or adjust the mixture to give maximum manifold vacuum at idle speed (650-700rpm).

Attachments

• Lean Drop.pdf
    29.2 KB · Views: 65
My experience with malfunctioning EGR valves on the 60 is they get stuck open after driving for a while on the freeway. Then when you slow down at a stop sign or whatever, the valve doesn't shut tight completely which creates a huge vacuum leak and the engine won't idle. It's easy to see it on a vacuum gauge.
The fear at the smog test is the valve will get stuck open during the test and won't idle when the tech returns the engine back to idle.
That scenario never happened to me - but I've had it stick open on the way to the test center. Doesn't exactly instill much confidence that the test will go well.
Seeing that all my EGR valves were unreliable, I'd save the best one for test day and test with it, then remove it after the test to keep it clean for the next test two years later.

One thing you could do to help narrow this down would be to bypass the EGR and see if the stalling/stumbling goes away. I have had all kinds if stumbling issues with EGR but never stalling at idle. Which makes me think it could be something else, like the ICS.

Pull the vac line btw the EGR vac modulator and the EGR valve, and put a golf tee in it. Then swap the two lines at the distributor vacuum advance. Take it for a drive and see how it runs. Quick and easy test.

As far as smog goes - if the EGR is causing a stumble, often the tech won’t be able to hold a steady 1500/2500 rpms on the rollers and will abort the test.

I had the same problem with mine.
and it turned out to be the Emissions computer connector. Check that it is not too loose and making good contact.
It is located at the drivers side behind the kick panel trim.
I switched mine out and so far has been running fine.

I had the same problem with mine.
and it turned out to be the Emissions computer connector. Check that it is not too loose and making good contact.

X2. I ended up taking my EC board out re-flowing the solder joints on the connector on the board that the wiring harness plugs into. My issues went away. See details here:

1984 FJ60 Engine Sputtering, Bucking - FIXED!!! - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1984-fj60-engine-sputtering-bucking-fixed.992783/post-11851122.

Or as @RodrigzCrzr mentions just get a different EC. GL and HTH.

@Engineer8000

Engineer8000 offers a service (no one else does this) where he will go through your Emissions Box and get it working like new. He also does the A/C Amplifier and any other Circuit Boards.

This is really really an important thing for those of us in Kalifornia or NY or anyplace with strict smog regs. There's a lot of things this little black bastid of a box controls and when it fails it causes all kinds of grief.

@Engineer8000

Engineer8000 offers a service (no one else does this) where he will go through your Emissions Box and get it working like new. He also does the A/C Amplifier and any other Circuit Boards.

This is really really an important thing for those of us in Kalifornia or NY or anyplace with strict smog regs. There's a lot of things this little black bastid of a box controls and when it fails it causes all kinds of grief.

Man, great info @Spike Strip. I had no idea on this. Bookmark added. Thanks again for this info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom