Most valuable parts on a 94? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I picked up a 94 fzj 80 for back up of Beast Mode(my 93 locked LC). I got it mostly for a couple interior trim pieces and the rims for snow tires, and hopefully for a birf to replace my clicker (is there a way to check this without having a running engine?)
Anyway, the exterior is pretty messed up (all the unboltable body panels are dented, other than the rear hatch and tailgate. I am going to strip it and need to know what mechanical parts are the most valuable or ones I should keep around in case I need to replace some stuff.
If there is a tread that covers this, I would gladly look there. All in, it was about 1k, delivered, so I hope I made a wise decision. The engine and peripherals are mostly intact as well.

Keep the axles, both of them. Rob the trans solenoids. Starter and alt as trail spares are good to have. I would keep the cluster as the early dash is known for the Speedo going out. Knock sensors are expensive if needed down the road. The maf is crazy expensive... So much you could keep.

Keep the axles, both of them. Rob the trans solenoids. Starter and alt as trail spares are good to have. I would keep the cluster as the early dash is known for the Speedo going out. Knock sensors are expensive if needed down the road. The maf is crazy expensive... So much you could keep.
Lol, the MAF IS literally the only thing missing under the hood. Sigh...

Yeah, they sell so fast when I get one. Sitting on two spares now for my 93 and 94 if needed down the road. Do you have space to keep the whole truck?

Keep the whole damn truck. I rolled My 94 14 months ago and bought a 93 to replace it. I am now disassembling the 94 bolt by bolt and storing most everything for my future use. OEM parts are being discontinued every month. Strip it, store the parts, especially electrical stuff and try to sell body and frame for someone else's off-road monster project or just recycle it.

X2...keep the whole thing! Also believe the 94 has a VAF vs. the MAF on later trucks.

X2...keep the whole thing! Also believe the 94 has a VAF vs. the MAF on later trucks.
Whatever piece is between the air box and the Aluminum Intake is missing, probably the VAF if it's like my 93

Engine ECU if the part number is 89661-60221. Igniter, distributor, fuel pump relay, cruise ECU, transmission ECU, cruise servo, ABS ECU, transmission ECU.

If you have the room, park/drag it somewhere the Mrs isn't staring at it, keep & use parts as needed.

Engine ECU if the part number is 89661-60221. Igniter, distributor, fuel pump relay, cruise
ECU, transmission ECU, cruise servo, ABS ECU, transmission ECU.
I agree with CDan on This!!!!!! With age, Heat, cold, dust, and vibration, the electronics on our trucks may become a weak link, so it'll pay big time, to have extra's sitting on your shelf.

Engine ECU if the part number is 89661-60221. Igniter, distributor, fuel pump relay, cruise ECU, transmission ECU, cruise servo, ABS ECU, transmission ECU.

For the curious minds, what is the ECU difference on that PN compared to others?

there were different p/n for cali and fed emission and I think that was an updated number since those vintage computers couldn't be reflashed for updates

there were different p/n for cali and fed emission and I think that was an updated number since those vintage computers couldn't be reflashed for updates

Early 1993 Cruiser ECUs often throw codes 83, 84 and 85 (engine and transmission ECU communications issues) with a 21 or a 28 sometimes along with them. The repair is to replace the ECU as they are not "repairable". The early federal number is 89661-60170 and the California number is 89661-60220. To correct this problem you replace the ECU with an 89661-60221 which works for both earlier units.

A used 60170 or 60220 will almost certainly be problematic at some point (that is if it isn't already as it hit the used shelf instead of the bushes off to the side of the carport). Better to find a 60221 for the spares box.

To confirm this applies to 193/4 only.

If you have the room, park/drag it somewhere the Mrs isn't staring at it, keep & use parts as needed.

Save the one your kid rolls coming home from college.
tmp_13677-20161125_140621688909040.jpg

Early 1993 Cruiser ECUs often throw codes 83, 84 and 85 (engine and transmission ECU communications issues) with a 21 or a 28 sometimes along with them. The repair is to replace the ECU as they are not "repairable". The early federal number is 89661-60170 and the California number is 89661-60220. To correct this problem you replace the ECU with an 89661-60221 which works for both earlier units.

A used 60170 or 60220 will almost certainly be problematic at some point (that is if it isn't already as it hit the used shelf instead of the bushes off to the side of the carport). Better to find a 60221 for the spares box.

To confirm this applies to 193/4 only.

We are fighting a '93 that sets those codes, has the 89661-60221, swapped another 89661-60221 and it still does it.:bang: Now pretty much ignoring it.

The '80 parts that are most coveted around here are locking axles, close second is steering, most notably steering boxes.

That stuff is still good on "Flatso" in the carport. :doh:

Well, this weekend, I am going to be digging into it and tagging/ bagging as many parts as possible. I think I will eventually get the entire rig stripped, literally taking of every single thing that is bolted on, and use the frame for various welding projects. Storing it in the basement of the house.... we will see how the wife likes that idea. I guess asking forgiveness is easier than permission, right?

The best part is the truck gave it's life keeping my son alive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom