Most MPG from a 62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just checked my milage with my GPS.

I went to Costco and filled up at pump #8(topping off). I then drove to see a friend in S. San Jose. When I returned, I went back to the same Costco and pump #8 and filled up the same way. GPS indicated 90.4 miles on trip. Fuel used is 4.62 gallons.

Thats better than 19.5 miles to the gallon!! I drove at a steady 63 mph((+/- 2), any slower around here, and you'll be rear ended.

I'm running 30" BFG AT at 32 psi, and I've painted my rig with Herculiner truck bed paint(in grey).

I know the dimples on a golfball give a 30 % boost in flight time.

Do any of you all think I'm getting a similar effect from the textured paint?:hmm:

And I did add a FlowMaster SUV 50 Series, a few days ago.

Last edited:
I think I got 11 one time.

I guess 19 could be done in optimal conditions in a short period, but even that would a challenge for mine.

That's pretty amazing, but maybe a well-kept, youthful 3FE could do it. Most people regard my best freeway mpg of about 16.5 pretty good. I also have an excellent aftermarket cruise control on my FJ62 that does a great job (but I have to disengage and accept a lower speed if the hills get steep).

Another factor is your speed. 60-65 mph is very fuel efficient. It is a fairly dramatic difference from 80mph in even a newer vehicle. I don't propose going back to the mandated 55mph of the '70s, but if we wanted to save billions on oil consumption, 65mph would do it.

I don't want to be a negative voice, but I don't think that 90 miles is enough to make any conclusions. There is too much inaccuracy at the filling up of the tank that small variations (+/- a half a gallon) make big differences in the results. If you keep track of your mileage and gas over several tanks, you'll get a much more accurate number. Remember, mileage is the other thing that men like to brag about how big their's is.

I don't want to be a negative voice, but I don't think that 90 miles is enough to make any conclusions. There is too much inaccuracy at the filling up of the tank that small variations (+/- a half a gallon) make big differences in the results. If you keep track of your mileage and gas over several tanks, you'll get a much more accurate number. Remember, mileage is the other thing that men like to brag about how big their's is.

I knew someone would say that! But I fill them the same way. Holding back the vapor catch until the fuel came to cap area, and it cant get anymore full then that!

Just drove between Banff and Jasper with a couple sidetrips in between. Odometer showed 186+ miles when I filled up with 41 liters. The truck is running 31's, which are approximately 10% larger than stock, so using 200 miles as a guesstimate for actual miles, that's over 18MPG. The speed limit is 90KM/HR, which I never exceeded and usually was under, so that helped. It's not a flat route by any means, however. I've also recorded over 17MPG on other stretches of this extended road trip.

getting 14.5 city/highway mix in mine.....at highway I drive about 65 to 70 anymore than 70 car dont drive nice enough...

Golf ball comparison is awesome! lol If it make my Cruiser get 19 a gallon I'm gonna take a 7 iron to it and have dimples from head to toe.

This is where I track mine..

www.fuelly.com

woodscustom-albums-fj-picture19773-78493.png

WC

Must have had a tailwind both ways to get that kind of fuel mileage!

For the sake of the rest of us that get 10 to 12 MPG, tell us a little bit about your rig and what you have done to tune it up including any mods. The sticker that came in the window when these were new boasted 12 city and 14 highway MPG. Those numbers were usually fudged a little as well. So to get over 15 MPG is quite fantastic. We want to know your secrets.

that is seriously awesome. its wierd to be praising 19mpg. My buick lesabre used to get 32 on the highway, but now my standards are so low (10 mpg) 19 sounds like a miracle!!!

Actually I do my mileage calculation everytime i fill up, usually I do 10-12 in the city and 14 highway on my old 2f. But yesterday I did 17! I guess all that tinkering with the carb finally paid off, either that or 55mph did it...

I've been consistently getting 11 (+/- 1) from mine on 31's but when I built my rear bumper (mostly highway miles) it was around 14-15 which was a pleasant surprise.

In the event any of the requests were directed to me, rather than Benjamin, my truck has no relevant modifications, other than I've removed the AC apparatus and belt. I was told by the previous owner, 8 years ago, that the engine had been rebuilt by his previous owner, but he had no documents to prove it. I do know that my engine didn't burn a drop of oil in this recent 3300 mile road trip. I'm sure no stoplights, properly aired tires and moderate speeds help a great deal. If you look at the FJ62 specs displayed at TLC landcruisers, they show mileage best estimates of 12/19 city/highway. In theory our manual hubs and lighter vehicle weights could allow our vehicles to surpass the 80 and 100 series in highway fuel consumption numbers.
cruiser cassiar0001.jpg

I got 18-19 on several long trips a couple of years ago, now I get 16 highway.

Johnny hits a Pro V1 with a 7 iron about 155-160 yards. His swing speed is about 95-100 mph with a Driver. His GHIN handicap index is a 8.9. He plays "ready golf".

If Johnny drives 14 miles to the golf course in his FJ62 with a full tank, walks the 7100 yard course and shoots a 81 in under 4 hours, how many miles per gallon will he get on the way home?

:D

I average about 13mpg in my 1988 FJ62. Anything over 13 and I am happy.

Expanded fuel volume from driving and warmer daytime temps vs. lower morning temps when the truck was filled up can easily account for a perceived higher MPG. If you fill up in the morning, drive the 90 miles then fill up again the next morning, the results would have probably been somewhat different.

My worthless .02

Of course, if that's what you did....:meh:

Although keeping that into account, you probably still got a lot better MPG than the average.

Gotta love a 3fe that seems to be on a diet! :)

I was seeing 17-19 at best when I was at 4000ft or above, and about 16 at low altitude. I think the truck was used to where it grew up. As tires got to 33s it dropped 1-2mpg. Then I added weight but that didn't affect it as much as tire size. I suspect part of the early mileage was freak of nature stuff and regular engine maintenance (I got it at 175k and it went down hill from there!!)

Back up to 20-24 with the 1HZ swap.. does that count? (my thing is range in the boonies, not mpg per say)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom