Most Miles on Gates Timing Belt/kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had a buddy snap his timing belt about a week ago while on the road. It's a fairly new to him 2001 lx470 with records indicating the belt was done around 120k. Current mileage 196k. I popped off the passenger side timing cover to confirm my suspicions of the belt being the issue.
IMG_20201116_115315.jpg

Fast forward to this last weekend, we had all the parts in and went to town on the timing belt job. Thanks to @carlosfj80 for the assist. Used the Aisin TKT-021 kit on this job. Got the new belt on and everything aligned with no issues.
IMG_20201120_170529.jpg

IMG_20201120_170534.jpg

When we removed the broken timing belt, to my surprise it was a Gates. The Gates version of the timing belt kit doesn't seem to be all too popular on here and maybe rightfully so. How many of you guys are running the Gates kit and how many miles you have on your belt? This one apparently only lasted about 76k.
IMG_20201120_164850.jpg

Contact Gates. Many years ago I worked for a company that did durability testing for Gates. We had belts that went over 250,000 miles and beyond. That is a surprise to see.

Agreed, these 2uz-fe motors are pretty notorious for being easy on timing belts with several reports of folks going well outside of the service interval. Whether by accident or by choice. It wouldn't do much for me to contact Gates though. I'm just a friend of the owner who bought it from some guy who probably did the job(or paid someone to do it).

When we removed the broken timing belt, to my surprise it was a Gates. The Gates version of the timing belt kit doesn't seem to be all too popular on here and maybe rightfully so. How many of you guys are running the Gates kit and how many miles you have on your belt? This one apparently only lasted about 76k.

Were the tensional and idler pulleys replaced at 120k too? Did any of them seize?

Unsure if they were. They looked OE so my guess is that they were either bought from the dealer and put in during the 120k service or they were original. They spun freely. And given the amount of folks that exceed their timing belt service interval without issue, I doubt they caused the failure even if they were original to the truck.

Looks like the belt physically snapped? Usually when it is a failure of the timing belt due to age/miles, it is the teeth that fail or the belt skips a few teeth. When a belt breaks like that, it is because something seized. You say the pulleys turn freely, have to tried spinning the engine with the new belt? Was the water pump changed?

Thanks for the mention, Baggar. I am curious as to why Toyota used FIPG and the Gates kit has a gasket from the water pump to thermostat housing. Wondering if Toyota made a gasket for this application?

have to tried spinning the engine with the new belt? Was the water pump changed?

I may not be following you on this. If it was said before, the timing belt job is done and the rig is back on the road. I used the Aisin kit that included the belt, pulleys and water pump. Used a Toyota thermostat from the dealer. If you're asking about prior, it's unknown. Timing belt job was done before my buddy bought the rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom