Most likely to be voted best PM perf gain? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
ive put about 15k on my 80 in two years. Did not find mud until last year. Learned so much here! Thank you. I've done most of the greasing and oil. No trans service. Clean motor, 180k, no leaks. Have done 5 oil changes, Mobil 1, K&n filers (air and oil). I know these things are dawgs on highway grades, but man, mine can't get out of its own way.

Stock gears and 35s don't help the matter, though I only have a rack, and no armor. Do you think plugs, wires, and a new cap will make a noticable difference? It's time anyway, and I have no idea how old they are, but I did pull a couple plugs on inspection before buying and they looked normal color etc...

I know this is a random, and perhaps even a stupid question, but wondering what PMs are most likely to improve performance on a motor/ drivetrain of this age? 180k

Thanks, Mark

I got a tremendouse gain after plugs, wire, cap, rotor.
Also consider checking & or advancing your timing.
Runing mid grade gas & bumping timing up rather than low grade gas.
There are some good timing advance threads here on mud.

I could here the difference. It had a zipper sound, it zings.

I get 10 mpg in town & 15 on open road. Lexi has 315s & 4;10s

Turn your power button on. On hills, turn the OD off and downshift if necessary to keep your RPMs over 3k. You're overgeared with 315s. It'll really show on hills.

Thanks for the tips and advice here asnd by PM! I felt silly even asking to be honest, but I guess I had not noticed people mentioning changing the timing, and frankly except for dirt bikes, I don't think I've ever pumped a anything but regular in my life!

I have used the power button, which didn't seem to make ANY difference in my Taco, but you can really feel in this truck! I love it off road as geared with 35s, which is no rock gardens, so I'm good there so far, but would it be worth dropping one size just for highways?

Could the charcoal canister rob power? Diff oil?

Thanks for the tips and advice here asnd by PM! I felt silly even asking to be honest, but I guess I had not noticed people mentioning changing the timing, and frankly except for dirt bikes, I don't think I've ever pumped a anything but regular in my life!

I have used the power button, which didn't seem to make ANY difference in my Taco, but you can really feel in this truck! I love it off road as geared with 35s, which is no rock gardens, so I'm good there so far, but would it be worth dropping one size just for highways?

Doubtful, I've never run 33s but my brother said his tended to fish for gears. 35s put you roughly one gear up which is manageable. Stick with regular, premium is a waste of money.

First I would ditch the k&n air filter for an oem or wix, many threads stating the disadvantages of them.
Plugs, wires, cap and rotor will help and maybe a new fuel filter.
Another thing often overlooked is throttle cable adjustment. I snugged mine up and the rig is much more responsive.

Thank you for further suggestions! I'm going to do them all! For a 21 year old truck, everything is so clean and dry, even after two years of my ownership as an off road hunting rig. K&N is a local company, and they used to sponsor me as a desert racer. I like the oil filter for several reasons including the large canister size and about half a quart of added capacity, it's heavy construction, and, well, I like the extraction nut too..a sir filters CAN be as problem if not used correctly. I was trained on their cleaning, oiling and care by their engineers. I guess I still have some loyalty from back in the day too. Never had a failure, and they took good care of me... FWIW.

Would you guys advise a tranny service? The shifting seems a little soft, and since I've always driven manual transmissions, they intimidate me a bit. I'm almost afraid to futz with something that seems to be working fine otherwise. Fluid looks and smells new to me??

You want your power back? Buy a YellowBox plug and play. And calibrate your speed correctly. Your transmission is relying on bad Input to configure its shift patterns and your engine is suffering from your transmissions bad input. Correct your speed calibration, you'll notice a big difference, I sure did.

Never heard of Yellowbox until now! Doesn't look so plug and play tho....

yellow box eh? Hmmm stock gears on 35's and I'm not seeing all the "nightmares" people talk about with stock gears, sure it's a dog but it isn't like it was a greyhound before 35's either!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom