Most frequently needed parts for HJ47 trope (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm buying an HJ47 Troopie and have the possibility of having some parts shipped in a container from Australia thru austousa. I know parts are not nearly as available in the US as for an FJ40 and was wondering from the owners of HJ47s what parts I should think about trying to get and have shipped along with other things. The exchange rate with the Aussie $ is very good right now and parts are far more available there than here. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Here's a whole lot of pictures of the rig (the two videos have to be downloaded to be seen--at least on my computer): Video by austousa2014

Spares (new/used/remanfauctured):

Alternator
Starter
PS Pump
Injectors
Vacuum pump
Brake master
Brake booster
Tie rods/TRE's
injection pump

I would say grab a couple h55s if you don't use them you can probably sell them. I would say anything that is unique to the troopie. Maybe a full float rear axle and split t case with drum parking brake.

Getting spare parts in advance is great idea. I always keep spare filters like 2-3 of them at a time. (air, oil, and fuel). I believe Beno nailed it. Most parts that are needed are hard to source or are obsolete. I have either rebuilt them myself or figured out if it something I can modify with another Toyota part. If you can get H55 tranny for a 45 or 40 will be even better. All the h55's you can get are for 60's. A power steering gear box would nice too.

Thanks everyone for piping in. I appreciate the suggestions. If anyone else has any, feel free to add.

oh, and enjoy it. what year, colour and so on is it?

It's a 1982, white, complete with a gecko and gecko prints on the side and a zebra pattern on a very dirty looking headliner. Some previous owner must have been a nature lover. :)

Video by austousa2014

Do you have a recommended source of parts in Australia? I see on the internet there's "drag" something and "panel house" and a couple of others (quick sales). Any recommended AC unit for an HJ47. I've looked in ih8mud but there doesn't seem to be any real consensus. Thanks for any suggestions!

The key thing is to get right hand drive specific parts. If you decide to add power steering, A/C, or even if your fenders need to be replaced (they have a cut out for the steering arm), these will not be found easily here. There are new no A/C units for RHD in the US. My 2 cents.

The key thing is to get right hand drive specific parts. If you decide to add power steering, A/C, or even if your fenders need to be replaced (they have a cut out for the steering arm), these will not be found easily here. There are new no A/C units for RHD in the US. My 2 cents.

Thanks for the advice. so the Oldair Hurricane systems can't be fit in a RHD HJ47? Custom Aftermarket A/C Systems & Replacement Parts for Hot Rod, Classic, & Vintage Cars/Trucks - HURRICANE A/C Systems

I'm not sure about the hurricane systems (I would contact them). It looks like it could work, but many of the other brands designed for fj40s are made to fit in the LHD passenger side. I haven't looked into this in a while as I have been working on other things. eBay Australia sometimes has used parts for sale but they rarely offer shipping, much less international shipping. Let me know if you find, choose or install something as I hope to do this one day.

I'm not sure about the hurricane systems (I would contact them). It looks like it could work, but many of the other brands designed for fj40s are made to fit in the LHD passenger side. I haven't looked into this in a while as I have been working on other things. eBay Australia sometimes has used parts for sale but they rarely offer shipping, much less international shipping. Let me know if you find, choose or install something as I hope to do this one day.

Sorry it's been so long. The guy at Old Air products, John Price, told me their system should work on an HJ47 as long as there's space under the dash. Didn't matter that it's a RHD. He gave me the name of a place in Orange County (closest tome in Southern California) that could install it. I'm waiting to pick up my HJ47 in Washington and do the 5-speed swap before I pursue it, but when I do, I'll recontact John Price to ask him more about the guy he recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom