Most essential mods on LX470 for rock crawling blue trails (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ll put my money on traction enhancements for my vehile, ARB air lockers front and rear and stick with 33s.

For rocks would one consider the trail tailor creeper skid or the slee intermediate/belly skid?
There's a very substantial weight difference between the two. I went from Slee to TT for the weight loss. On my next wheeling trip, I totally smashed the exhaust to the point it was vibrating against the undercarriage. That OEM crossover/flex pipe is quite expensive too. And now, with all the Catalytic Converters getting stolen, I kinda wish I kept the skid plates.

I run the Dissent aluminum skids. I've come down hard more than a few times and figured they bent, but other than some scars they show no signs of damage. They're reinforced in all the right spots.

I don't worry about my cats so much now. Instead I worry about some tweaker stealing my aluminum skids.

I vote you break out the grinder with cutoff wheel and stuff 37s.

I actually cracked my Dissent front skid plate where the inner bracing is. Had to re-weld it. No big deal though, If it wasn’t there I can’t imagine what the underbody would look like.

How does that work? Does it just keep it in high mode always? Or do you actually gain some clearance in high mode over the regular high mode?
Start here... 2-2.5" AHC Lift Using King Coils & Shock Spacers - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/2-2-5-ahc-lift-using-king-coils-shock-spacers.945879/#post-10534795
Installing the Japan 4x4 spacers allows you to keep the travel the same. And the sensor lift gives you some height. But I would not go past 2".
You can still go into high/low mode.

Last edited:
How does that work? Does it just keep it in high mode always? Or do you actually gain some clearance in high mode over the regular high mode?

Good compromise between 33 and 35 is running 295/70/18 tires with a 30mm offset wheel. Pinch weld plastic mod and maybe the washer reservoir cover needs to be removed and you should clear it. If I were to do it again that’s what I would run. XD Heist in 18x9 et 30mm is just 27lbs. Pair that with duratracs in 295s that weighs 59 lbs and you’ve got a legit setup that’s not too heavy. This combo weigh less than my current 33s

Thanks man, excellent advice. Do you think 35s would be worth doing with what I’m assuming is a lot of trimming?
Yes worth it. I went from 33 to 35 tires and the larger tires do make it nicer climbing up rough roads. And since I drive real easy on roads and freeways the stock gearing is fine.

Sleep 2.5 heavy lift. 1" body lift. Zero cutting to fenders. I did trim a rock slider and a small, really small piece of plastic near the rocker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom