Most Desirable Year of Fj60-62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Just sold off the fj40, looking at possibly getting an fj60 or 62. Whats the most desirable year? Is the 3f a much better engine vs the 2f? Any major changes throughout the years?

I'll be using it as a daily truck around town for work related items.

I missed one today here in Denver - a '90 that looked rust free for 1800 asking..

Any other thoughts?

So a 60 not a 62? Whats the difference? Cant you get the 3f as a manual trans?

Most common in the states is a 3FE with an auto for the 62 series. I've driven a bunch and hated them all. I'm not anti fuel injection nor anti auto, I have a 97 LX450 which is the best year (96-97) for Landcruisers IMHO. But I also have an 84 Fj60. It has issues but I'd never give mine up over the 3FE with an auto. There are many more people to get good advice from on here, I'm just one opinion.

Keep looking - check the classifieds here. You can get one with a SBC for not much more than a stocker that'll get better mileage & leave a stocker in its dust, but you run the risk of inheriting a hack job. Same is true of a stock rig, but much easier to put right.

The "hot OEM" setup IMHO is a 62 with an H55 5-speed, or a 2FE (2F with 3FE head/manifolds) 60 with a 5-speed. None of this was stock, but quite a few folks have done it.

The later 60s are easier to swap a 5-speed into. Prior to '84 there were no headlight squirters. Other than that, all 60s are the same IMHO.

Go for an 87. They started putting the larger 38mm idler shaft in the t-cases which is a tad stronger, in production year 86.

1987 FJ60 is the best. I used to have one and I am pissed everyday I dont have it anymore.....

1987 FJ60 is the best. I used to have one and I am pissed everyday I dont have it anymore.....

I agree. :)

Read the FAQ... Body Styles looks the same, but FJ60 with 2F, manual, and manual windows. FJ62 with 3 FE, Automatic, electric windows. In Theory more "refined" for the urban driver, but if you want EFI, Automatic, and Power Options.... the '95-'97 FJ80 make much more sense as a 'comfortable daily driver'.

I had plans to do all sorts of stuff to 'ol Blue (the '87 FJ60), but it is simple and straight forward.

Tom

Yup, 1987 is the last True-to-it's-Roots Land Cruiser offered in the United States. Strip off the smog junk and run it untill the wheels fall off. It will probably out live you.

Gotta go 87

I personally like the looks of the rounded head lights.
The 87 has pre-62 changes.
- Spacer for a straight forward H55 5-speed
- I think Jim C mentioned at one time the later 2F engines were a stronger (material-wise) than earlier F & 2F
- Who needs creature comforts like auto windows?

Personally go for a 87 Fj60 because of the standard transmisson. The fj62 is a good truck but it comes down to personal taste and preference on carberated or efi standard or auto trans. I drove several 60 and 62 and I found for what I needed it came down to what I could get a deal on.

Whats a good price to pay for either?

My boss loves the idea of us picking one up as my daily driven work truck.

Looking for something that is rust free or close to it, and has a very reliable strong engine in it - basically something that wont be too much of a project. Whats a good price??

Whats a good price to pay for either?

My boss loves the idea of us picking one up as my daily driven work truck.

Looking for something that is rust free or close to it, and has a very reliable strong engine in it - basically something that wont be too much of a project. Whats a good price??

depends alot on where you live and how soon you want to pick one up.

around here, $3,000-6,000 for a decent rig, try and get any maintenance records. any of these rigs will have 150,000 + miles, they are 20 years old.

I live in Denver. Does that make much difference??

Are these good daily drivable trucks or should I look elsewhere? My boss really liked his fj40 that we just sold, and thought one of these might make a nice replacement/work truck.

I would agree with the FJ-62 with the H55 behind it the 3fe has more horsepower and runs smoother and starts up easier with the fuel injection.

The main complaint about the 62's is the power sucking automatic.

personally a well tuned 3fe even with the auto will out run a 2f with the 4 speed from start to finish.

most 3fe's are not tuned right and most autos are not adjusted right.

cam

Ron at Rocky Mountain Cruisers told me to try to avoid an fj62 because its sooo hard to make them pass emissions, and said the weak point is the trans if something should go wrong.

I would agree with the FJ-62 with the H55 behind it the 3fe has more horsepower and runs smoother and starts up easier with the fuel injection.

The main complaint about the 62's is the power sucking automatic.

personally a well tuned 3fe even with the auto will out run a 2f with the 4 speed from start to finish.

most 3fe's are not tuned right and most autos are not adjusted right.

cam

I'll second this. The 3fe with a manual behind it is considerably more powerful and responsive than the 2f. If we're really nit picking, the trussed axles, thicker spring packs, and subtle frame differences also make a fj62 a little more stout. Whether or not you'll ever notice the difference is another matter. Some like the round headlights, some like the modern dash... it's up to you. I just finished putting a pristine strong blue 60 body with the 62 dash/harness on a 62 frame and drivetrain with an h55 and OME suspension. I think it's pretty much the best all around (gas) sixty series you can build.

I like the 1987 fj-60 or any of the fj-62s.62s if in a lot of commuting where its a slow go. Mike

FJ60 W/RamJet 350

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No connection to the sale of this FJ60.

Sure is pretty though.......

I think this solves the 2F and 3F engine debate problem.

I live in Washington (the state). My son has had my 1984 FJ60 in Boulder while attending CU. It’s been a great vehicle for college and getting him to the slopes. He graduated in December and now wants to buy his own new car. Rather than ship the FJ60 back to Washington to sell it, thought I’d sell it locally in Colorado. Wondering if you have a forum to sell cruisers on? Pictures attached. We put in a 350V8 Ramjet and OME lift kit on it. Runs good. 4x4 works fine. New tires. WA title is free and clear. I have more pictures and a list of all the improvements if requested. Any suggestions as to where to advertise this would be helpful. Thank you for any help. – Rob Bernardi (503)-209-0735

Price is $8,000 OBO, if your interested give him a call!
Attached Images
red2.jpg
Red.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom