Most Comfortable Suspension Set Up FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fzj80 1997

SILVER Star
Threads
I have an LS swapped FJ62 that was restored by TLC 4X4. The truck has sliders, front ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, and kaymar rear bumper with dual swing outs.

The ride on the truck feels like a slammed civic. There’s pretty much no compliance at all. In defense of the current set up, the shocks are definitely toast.

Current set up:
-Spector offroad leaf springs
-Shackles that I haven’t seen before
-Rancho shocks

I want this truck to ride as comfortable as possible to take over daily driving duty. Does anyone have some advice as to what setup I should go with? I would like the height to remain the same as where it Is now.

F7A3862E-098D-4D99-A079-2C7677AB0CA8.jpeg

AE601ECD-9D91-40A0-A796-2A5890932AF8.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a xhd set up on mine. CS005F front and rear with CS005R A/B in the rear.

Up front is a bumper/winch, extra battery and on board air.

Rear is a heavy tire carrier. If you don’t load down with a lot of gear, I would use a CS004 spring in the rear. My truck doesn’t level out unless it’s FULLY loaded. It has a rake unloaded.

I’m using the OME shackles and pins.

I run Bilstein shocks. They aren’t an application specific shock, but they work for me. I’ve wheeled them at max flex without issue. I’ve ridden in trucks with OME shocks and the bilsteins are light years ahead.

Front 33-230368

Rear 33-185606

I see you’re in Houston. You’re welcome to drive my truck and see.

DE1D7A0E-DE67-44A9-959B-938F7B09D06E.jpeg

Thanks for the reply man. I’ve definitely seen you around town. PM incoming

I have a xhd set up on mine. CS005F front and rear with CS005R A/B in the rear.

Up front is a bumper/winch, extra battery and on board air.

Rear is a heavy tire carrier. If you don’t load down with a lot of gear, I would use a CS004 spring in the rear. My truck doesn’t level out unless it’s FULLY loaded. It has a rake unloaded.

I’m using the OME shackles and pins.

I run Bilstein shocks. They aren’t an application specific shock, but they work for me. I’ve wheeled them at max flex without issue. I’ve ridden in trucks with OME shocks and the bilsteins are light years ahead.

Front 33-230368

Rear 33-185606

I see you’re in Houston. You’re welcome to drive my truck and see.

View attachment 2785927

I'm running a similar OME setup with heavy springs front and rear. Rear springs are the same designation both sides. I forget if they are A/A or B/B. Initially I put in the lower arch springs but swapped them out for the higher arch after year. I carry a lot of weight in rear cargo area. ARB and M12 winch on the front. FJ60 sits level and rides well.

Also running the Bilststeins. Bilsteins >> OME.

Dobinson suspension is another one to consider. I have no experience with it but have good things.

Thanks for mentioning the coil conversion. I completely forgot about that option. I’ll reach out to them later this week.

Shock absorbers should control the pogo effect but won't make a ride softer.
When I removed my rear shocks entirely and drove the cruiser around for a week, the ride was the most comfortable it had ever been. Really cushy (and bouncy). It wasn't safe a speed because the axle could bounce around too much, but man it sure was comfy cruising at slower speeds

My fj62 rides better then 95% of 80’s, but most aren’t going to want to go to that effort

I’m very interested to hear what your set up is as well
What suspension are you running?
Everything is in this thread

Everything is in this thread
Yeah, literally everything 🙄. Maybe a brief synopsis on components?
F866944E-F199-4492-A01F-B75C106BA430.jpeg

Suspension seats from a JDM or Eurospec 60 series would also help. I have OME heavy/heavy and it rides a little stiff but the seats make it a lot softer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom