Builds Mo's 2014 Sequoia Build Thread ... Already In Progress (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am surprised there are not more 2nd generation Sequoia builds with Sequoias being reasonably priced on the secondary market. I wanted to post some pictures to assist my fellow Sequoia owners who are pondering new ideas about what they can do to customize their rides. Feel free to ask me any questions about the mods I have already added or plan to add.

So far, the following has been installed:

EXTERIOR:
-ICI Magnum RT front bumper for a Tundra (fit like a charm after adding the Tundra grill, and I have had great experience working with ICI),
-Tundra color matched 2012 Rock Warrior grill (I did not have to replace the stock brackets to add this grill),
-Headlights with LED light bars (look good, but not as bright as I would prefer),
-PIAA 510 SMR driving lights (these definitely supplement the headlights output),
-Generic fog lights from Aliexpress (match my headlights),
-D rings painted matte black to match front bumper,
-Toyota emblems and D ring guards color matched to exterior paint color,
-Plastidipped rear Sequoia emblem and underneath the rear Toyota emblem,
-LED taillight/brake lights to replace the rear reflectors (definitely increase light output),
-Rear taillight guards I had powdercoated matte black, and
-Wellvisors Offroad Window Visors.

WHEELS, TIRES, and SUSPENSION:
-17" Tundra Rock Warrior Wheels which I had the rings powdercoated matte black (bought off Craigslist for $500),
-Nitto Terra Grappler 305 70 17,
-ReadyLift 3, 1 spacers, and
-Bilstein 5100 front struts set at lowest setting (to offset weight of front bumper).

INTERIOR:
-Ivory leather seats and console lid cover with black borders from Leatherseats.com (installation is not for the faint of heart, my hands were brutalized while installing the kit),
-Seat warmers,
-White LED lights,
-TRD shift knob,
-Leather steering wheel cover from Aliexpress,
-Molded floor black leather looking floormats with white stitching from Aliexpress,
-Tint on front windows to match rear windows,
-Pioneer AVIC 8100 NEX head unit (definitely improved the sound quality),
-HDMI and USB extension to the console charger position,
-Monitors behind the front headrests,
-Rear hatch cover,
-Black lining in change holders and other nooks and crannies to reduce vibration held in place with double sided tape(my arts and craft project), and
-Ivory leather inserts for cupholders and other nooks and crannies (sounds stupid to add leather to an area which will get wet, but I had a couple round shaped leather samples lying around that fit perfectly there and some rectangle pieces for other areas).

MISCELLANEOUS:
-Volant Cold Air Intake.

Added AFTER first posting:
-Stainless steel strips to fit in the side indention that I had powdercoated matte black (bought from eBay),
-Maglite mount,
-ICI Magnum RT Steps for a Tundra Double Cab (6 out of the 8 brackets lined up, except the rear brackets, but I do not believe that will compromise the rigidity of the steps unless someone over 200 pounds jumps on the back step for an hour),
-ICI Magnum Tundra Skid Plate,
-PIAA LP530 LED backup lights and bracket, and
-Ditch light mounts with PIAA LP530 LED driving lights.
-Hitch receive D ring Mount and D ring.

I am pondering adding the following:
-Divine 1 Custom rear bumper with spare tire carrier,
-Gobi roof rack,
-Maybe a winch (but this truck will not see much offroad action, I use my built GX470 for that),
-Snorkel, and
-Whatever else sounds cool.

Posted are a few pictures of the exterior in chronological order.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Awesome build. Which engine does it have?

Looks great - I wish the aftermarket was bigger for both 1st and 2nd Gen Sequoias...

Looks great - I wish the aftermarket was bigger for both 1st and 2nd Gen Sequoias...

My first foray into customization of a SUV was a Lexus GX470 sport. The GX470 has a much more limited market as to certain aftermarket parts. I feel there's more available at a reasonable price for a Sequoia. Problem is, most of these parts were designed for a Tundra and many of these manufacturers claim the parts won't fit even though they do. I guess it's less liability to the manufacturers to say the Tundra parts will not fit, then leaving the door open, and having a customer complain if the parts end up not working out perfectly.

Last edited:
I have been continuing to work on my truck, and attached some new pics. Recently I installed PIAA LP530 led lights on CBI ditch light mounts.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I also recently installed PIAA LP530 backup lights using a hitch mount I ordered from China, which I modified. I may even modify it more so the lights can rest flush with the bumper or recessed.

Man, that Sequoia is looking stout! Great lookin truck! Where did you get that hitch-light mount? I've been needing to upgrade my reverse light situation, have a couple LED pods that I haven't figured out how I was going to mount. Were you going to have a quick detach on the wiring harness to the lights? And I saw a Sequoia the other day with a TRD Pro grill that looked so badass, have you considered that? Not saying yours looks bad haha

Man, that Sequoia is looking stout! Great lookin truck! Where did you get that hitch-light mount? I've been needing to upgrade my reverse light situation, have a couple LED pods that I haven't figured out how I was going to mount. Were you going to have a quick detach on the wiring harness to the lights? And I saw a Sequoia the other day with a TRD Pro grill that looked so badass, have you considered that? Not saying yours looks bad haha
Thank you! I'm enjoying the Sequoia more than I thought I would. It's been fun trying out some mods I've never seen before on a Tundra or Sequoia.

Regarding the lights, I used the factory PIAA harness which can be quickly disconnected within hands reach of the lights. In the next post, I'll repost a posting I made on TundraSolutions about the mount and lights, that goes into greater detail.

Regarding the Tundra Pro Grill on a Sequoia. The only ones I've seen have been a complete front end and hood change between a second generation Sequoia and a third generation Tundra. Ha, I don't think I'll take my mods to that level.

Here's the repost regarding the mounting bracket and lights:

I installed my PIAA LP530 backup lights and bracket recently.

The install went smoothly but just took some time. I was pondering just splicing them into the trailer wiring harness under the truck to simplify the install, but if I did this, then they'd only turn on when I'm backing up. Ultimately I decided to install them as intended, with an on off on switch, so I can choose to have them turn on automatically when I back up, turn them off completely, or flip a switch and they stay on.

For wiring, I followed the PIAA included wiring diagram. I ran wires from the battery, through the conduit at the driver's side footwell into the cabin. Then up to the switch. I then ran the positive wire from the switch to the reverse wire leading to my radio. I then ran the wires to my lights under the plastic sill plates along the driver's side. I next removed the plastic bin along the back of the the cargo area attached by four bolts. I placed the wires up into this area, then chose to run the wires underneath the truck through the rubber round conduit on the driver's side in this cargo area after cutting a hole into it. There are three conduits to choose from. I then sealed the hole with silicone sealant. Now that I had wires leading underneath the truck, I grounded the wires leading to the lights on two different bolts attaching the bumper to the frame after sanding them down and adding a large washer. Afterwards, I added tubing around the wires for protection.

In regards to the mount, I purchased a Chinese hitch mount that you can find on eBay and Aliexpress. I had to widen the holes to fit the PIAA mounting bolts. I also spray painted the brackets with textured spray paint and matte finished paint, because I didn't like the glossy factory finish. I then mounted the lights onto the bracket using Lightforce keyed nuts for some security. I also added some supposedly tamper proof bolts to the lights.

With this mount installed, I believe I can still use the hitch. The spring loaded covers on the wiring harnesses for a trailer can still open and are accessible. As for ground clearance, I do not believe it is reduced any because these lights do not extend any further than the spare tire does already.

I definitely need to adjust the direction of the lights. They are bright! Right now, with them focused in the same direction, it looks like a white fireball when I look through my backup camera.

Regarding the position of the lights, I may change things up. Right now, they stick about a half inch past the bumper. I am not worried I'll back them into anything. If I did, then I would have bigger things to worry about, because that would likely have meant I probably hit something with my bumper too. But I am pondering adding some metal plates extending from the bracket, so that the lights will sit flush with the bumper or slightly recessed.

Regardless of having some more fine tuning to do, I like them. Well, at least definitely more than other backup light options I've seen.

image.jpeg
Here's a picture with the backup lights on. I need to reposition them. They're really bright.

Last edited:
Ahh makes sense about the grill then, I just passed one parked in Atlanta and didn't have the chance to inspect it too much, that's quite the conversion haha. Lights look good, definitely bright! Perfect for night maneuvering and solid camp lights.

Ahh makes sense about the grill then, I just passed one parked in Atlanta and didn't have the chance to inspect it too much, that's quite the conversion haha. Lights look good, definitely bright! Perfect for night maneuvering and solid camp lights.
I bought the PIAA backup lights after I realized one night trying to maneuver around parked cars where there weren't street lights, that stock backup lights are inadequate for anything but backing up straight in areas where there is another light source. These aftermarket lights are definitely an improvement.

Attached is a picture (NOT my truck) of a second gen Sequoia after a third gen Tundra front end conversion. I think the front end looks awesome. But when you see it from the side, the size and shape of the wheel well arches between the front and back contrast too greatly for my taste. But it's still an awesome modification and I definitely applaud those with the guts to try something that different and innovative.

image.png

Last edited:
image.jpeg

(Again NOT my truck, just a picture I found posted online)

Last edited:
Ah I can definitely see what you meant about wheel-well arches. Looks mean from the front, but so does your truck haha.

Ha. And mine costs much less for just the front bumper and install. I read someone's post, who priced the necessary parts for just the third gen Tundra front end conversion. If I remember correctly, parts alone came in at about $5,000. I believe with all of my modifications, including the bumper, lights, lift, tires, wheels, radio, leather seats, labor to install bumper and lift, and everything else, the grand total for cost is somewhere in the neighborhood of $6,000. All money was well spent if you ask me and not my wife.

Last edited:
Mo, Just wanted to thank you for your original post. I found this a few weeks ago while searching for a bumper for my 08 Sequoia SR5. I just put on the same ICI bumper and steps along with a color matched tundra grille.

Toytec front coilovers - TTFCS-207AH-700RED (specs say 1"-3" lift, I adjusted almost all the way down)
Magnum bumper - FBM42TYN-RT
Magnum RT Steps - RTS73TY
Tundra 2010 Rock Warrior Grille
Tundra 2015 20" wheels
Genssi 21" light bar

Still need:
Tires
Spot and Fog lights to fill these 4" holes.

20161014_095541-01.jpeg

Mo, Just wanted to thank you for your original post. I found this a few weeks ago while searching for a bumper for my 08 Sequoia SR5. I just put on the same ICI bumper and steps along with a color matched tundra grille.

Toytec front coilovers - TTFCS-207AH-700RED (specs say 1"-3" lift, I adjusted almost all the way down)
Magnum bumper - FBM42TYN-RT
Magnum RT Steps - RTS73TY
Tundra 2010 Rock Warrior Grille
Tundra 2015 20" wheels
Genssi 21" light bar

Still need:
Tires
Spot and Fog lights to fill these 4" holes.

View attachment 1336452

That's a sweet ride! It'd be great to see more pictures when you're done. At least now I know I helped somebody with my build thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom