Mort's 76 FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have you checked for boost leaks yet?

Finished reading through your thread and first off nice build, your rig looks beautiful. For my preference I'd want decent all around bumper/slider protection living out in Moab with all those tempting trails nearby, unless you've got some other rig for trail duty than this one can stay clean. I missed what gear ratio is in your diffs?

As for smoke I'll echo what I shared in my PM. The 5x.014s are too big and likely your biggest culprit to all the smoke. The other reason it may seem more smokey now is probably due to the elevation difference from where you were to where you are now. When I ran a set of 5x.014s I just couldn't get them to clean up enough for my liking. For me a puff of black on hard acceleration to a light haze is acceptable for me. Playing the sizing game I currently play with 5x.012 in both the SAC and VCO tips. Running bigger injectors cleanly (that's relative since there will always be a haze with the older mechanical diesels and that's normal) is about tuning and driving style. It means adding throttle as you accelerate and not just smashing it to the floor. I would not run anything bigger for a 4bt driven daily on the street than 5x.012. I echo @J Mack in that the next injector set up would be smaller in the 5x.010 or 5x.011 size range. I've got more full power screw left on my pump to recover some power lost by going to a smaller injector. The smaller hole size would theoretically atomize a little better for a cleaner burn and a little better mileage (again that varies on the right foot).

There are a whole host of different adjustments possible on the VE. The main ones are the ones you are playing with: full power screw, smoke screw, star wheel, timing. I too have found that I can back out the full power screw too far where it won't start and drivability really suffers (becomes a turd). Do you know what kind of fuel pin (brand/model) is in the AFC housing? The fuel pin slope determines how fuel gets added depending on the boost generated. Some fuel too much too soon and that causes black smoke since the turbo can't create boost fast enough to clean up the fuel.

For timing, the best way is to use a dial indicator to get a reading. That's the only way you'll really know where you are at. Once you get a baseline reading on the timing you can accurately adjust as needed. For me, even running higher timing (18 degrees static setting) it would not clean up those bigger injectors.

Last edited:
I'm running 4:10 gears but when I get home from work next time I have 3:73s waiting to go in. Plus I'm thinking about doing the over and under gears for the transfer case which will get me 8% overdrive I think.
I think it's the original fuel pin but turned to the side with the bigger slope.
I'll have to get a dial Indicator and see where the timing is. I'm not sure I'll be able to get one in town so it may be a while before I can get one.

Thanks for the advice. I'll start with timing as soon as I can get the dial indicator and injectors and that sounds like it'll clean up my smoke problem.

I'm running 4:10 gears but when I get home from work next time I have 3:73s waiting to go in. Plus I'm thinking about doing the over and under gears for the transfer case which will get me 8% overdrive I think.
FYI I'm running the "over/under" gears 8%/44% with 4:10 gears and I feel they are about right with my 35" tires.

FYI I'm running the "over/under" gears 8%/44% with 4:10 gears and I feel they are about right with my 35" tires.
Interesting. I knew you ran the over/under gear but couldn't find what gear ratio you were running in your axles. I'm running 34" tire which looks like a 3% difference from the 35" tires. I'll leave the axles alone then and do the transfer case gears first.

The injectors are far too large my man. I've got stock injectors in my engine with a Super HX30w and I can get it to smoke. I am not convinced you would gain power over the stock injectors with a single turbo such as the Super HX30w.

Go ahead and verify your timing, but order a set of injectors. I'd recommend starting with 5x.010s, but ideally get a set of stock injectors.

I'm about to head out of town on Tuesday for work for a couple months, unfortunately. I tried to see if I could get injectors before then but the places I checked were at least a week out before shipping. I'll have to order the injectors and a magnetic dial indicator while I'm gone and get the timing figured out and injectors when I get back home.
When you say stock injectors do you mean Bosch I injectors or the stock size?

I tried to see if I could get injectors before then but the places I checked were at least a week out before shipping.
You have several good injector shops in Utah have them change your nozzles while you’re out of town and pick them up when you return.

I got the injectors shipped off and started working on the interior a little more.
My handles are in good shape but kind of faded. What have you guys done to clean them up or is there a good alternative out there?

83F60C2F-7F7F-4F6B-BA5F-E3DD5687F8DD.jpeg

332C7D39-8F77-4A22-AC04-87AE1B34B3A9.jpeg

How do you guys stay motivated on your projects? I've been working a ton this year and haven't had much time to work on the 55. I'm having some electrical issues that I can't seem to get past. I can drive it and do every time I get home but it needs a lot to get to the point I could jump in it and drive more than 10 miles at a time. I got home to a dead battery because when my alternator is left plugged in it drains my battery. I'm pretty sure it's wired correctly. There's only 3 wires including A ground. I guess I'm just venting and realizing I haven't made much progress on it this year except get it home to Moab.

Motivation, inspiration, incentive, threat from the better half, whatever you want to call it is the hardest thing to hang on to. I've done a few of these type projects and know from my past to keep moving forward each day or I'd get involved with another. I tried to do something no matter how small every day in order to keep my mind thinking about it and excited about the next day. I really had to play head games with myself to keep going. No time and cost are two big killers of motivation and why a lot of builds stall.

Try writing down a "to do" list. Think about what's up next and how to complete it. If I don't have a plan for the next day, I'll stumble around in the shop and waste time with not getting anything done.

Small bites!

Now get out there and good luck! :clap:

I work on it and drive it most days that I'm home but I'm not home a lot. Driving it is definitely motivational for me. The electrical, not so much. Watching people's projects on here helps.

How do you guys stay motivated on your projects? I've been working a ton this year and haven't had much time to work on the 55. I'm having some electrical issues that I can't seem to get past. I can drive it and do every time I get home but it needs a lot to get to the point I could jump in it and drive more than 10 miles at a time. I got home to a dead battery because when my alternator is left plugged in it drains my battery. I'm pretty sure it's wired correctly. There's only 3 wires including A ground. I guess I'm just venting and realizing I haven't made much progress on it this year except get it home to Moab.

Hang in there Mate!

And feel free to vent away! Such a great group in here...

One of my favorite instructors used to say to me, "Nothing to it, but to do it!"

I know for me, I tend to think about my projects a lot before I get to do them (free time is a scarcity sometimes). So sometimes I make the project to be bigger in my mind than it actually is. Does that make sense?

But then once I get started, I really enjoy the process of doing the work. And if I actually fix something - even better!

Keep venting my man, we will prop you back up!

PS: At one point I was so frustrated with my Pig I listed it for sale. Glad that didn't go anywhere...

Motivation, inspiration, incentive, threat from the better half, whatever you want to call it is the hardest thing to hang on to. I've done a few of these type projects and know from my past to keep moving forward each day or I'd get involved with another. I tried to do something no matter how small every day in order to keep my mind thinking about it and excited about the next day. I really had to play head games with myself to keep going. No time and cost are two big killers of motivation and why a lot of builds stall.

Try writing down a "to do" list. Think about what's up next and how to complete it. If I don't have a plan for the next day, I'll stumble around in the shop and waste time with not getting anything done.

Small bites!

Now get out there and good luck! :clap:

Now that I am on the job search this is a big part of my process - doing something every darn day. It might be a small goal, like tweak a section on the resume, and then that usually snowballs into more and more activity. I will go online and see things that give me more ideas and next thing you know I have done a few things I feel proud of.

So yes, try to do something Every Darn Day! Even if just revising the To Do list!

I work on it and drive it most days that I'm home but I'm not home a lot. Driving it is definitely motivational for me. The electrical, not so much. Watching people's projects on here helps.

Electrical can throw a lot of people off!

Maybe the rectifier is fried, allowing current to flow back into the alternator.

Just pull it and take it into the local parts store for testing! You might come away with a new alternator and a happy pep in your step! Then you might be thinking, darn, I should have done that sooner!

Just a few weeks ago I got finally got the heat to turn off in one daily driver, now fixing another DD so the AC will turn on. Now that it is almost Dec it is important to get these things going, right?

Nothing to it, but to do it...

Was just thinking about you and your 55 the other day @mtnmort - how is that 4BT running? I’ve come across several for sale in the last few weeks.
The 4bt runs well. I got the smoke problem mostly fixed I just need to go back and adjust it again. It's got a good amount of power and once I get a little more sound deadening in it I'll be able to have a conversation in the cab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom