For Sale Morro Bay, California 1997 40th Anniversary 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
Color
rgb(67, 41, 2)
SOLD 05/02/2020

Hey everyone,

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser
Antique Sage
40 Year anniversary
Clean California title in hand in my name
Passed smog and ready for transfer
Clean Carfax report
Clean Autocheck report
Old Man Emu lift 2.5
ARB front bumper
Superwinch X9
ARB Air lockers front and rear
ARB air compressor
256,XXX miles

Asking price is $9400 or best offer.

From what I can tell on the service records, carfax records and autocheck records I’m the 4th owner.
I purchased it June 2019.

It came from Virginia. 2003-2019 it was in Virginia and before that it was in New York.

It does have superficial surface rust on the undercarriage. Not as bad as some but I know how people are on buying these things...

The issues I can tell

Needs tires, current set are 10 years old. Plenty of tread but they are cracked old and dangerous.

Needs rear brakes

Radio antenna mast doesn’t work Motor works but mast is bad.

Both driver and passenger mirrors jiggle when driving (very common and lots of write ups here on mud how to fix)

Drivers door has a piece of weatherstripping in the window run missing so it constantly howls inexpensive repair just an annoying thing to hear at 50mph and above.

Tripometer doesn’t work odometer works fine
Undercarriage has slight surface rust it’s not bad but it does have some.

Passenger side front inner fender has once rust patch. Easy to replace if need be just time.... not welded only assembled by bolts.

Rear upper has has a tiny rust bubble forming the size of a dime....

Drivers sun visor sags down a bit won’t stay all the way up

Huge file full of maintenance records but doesn’t have anything significant like a head gasket job or a transmission... lots of service records though.

Google photo link

Original plan was to have the girlfriend get a bit more comfortable driving trails with this rig because it’s a automatic. (We have had and still own a few landcruisers). She is in a nursing program for about 2 years now so trips away are on a hold. Didn’t want to see it sit for that long.

When I got it out to California here I cleaned it up replaced both oxygen sensors the battery and have driven it probably 2000 miles now... Drives great and passed smog with flying colors.

I have another set of tires I bought for it the other day that I can included in the sale.

315/75/16 Toyo all terrains with 70% 5 tires. Read Less

If text or a call is preferred my cell is 92569980nine3

Cheers,
-Joe

Last edited:
It does have superficial surface rust on the undercarriage. Not as bad as some but I know how people are on buying these things...

Being that you are in CA now you may want to rethink your description of Superficial surface rust as the pictures you have posted would make most potential buyers think otherwise. I was one such person as I thought it sounded like a great buy and then went through your pictures and I would not consider the rust you are showing on the body, seams, suspension etc superficial.

Kudos for posting pictures that show it though saved me a trip

IMG_2317.JPG

IMG_2743.JPG

IMG_2746.JPG

IMG_2747.JPG

Being that you are in CA now you may want to rethink your description of Superficial surface rust as the pictures you have posted would make most potential buyers think otherwise. I was one such person as I thought it sounded like a great buy and then went through your pictures and I would not consider the rust you are showing on the body, seams, suspension etc superficial.

Kudos for posting pictures that show it though saved me a trip

View attachment 2274433

View attachment 2274434

View attachment 2274435

View attachment 2274436

Thanks.

You see in the ad description that I mention this one specific section of rust right? The front passenger side inner fender. That is easily replaceable....

A lot of people can have different opinions on amounts of rust rigs might have so I want to post as much as I can.

Definitely not trying to fluff this post here with rainbows and unicorns it’s a 23 year old car that spent its life on the east coast.

I also post where it came from. Obviously not California.

I picked up this 80

Can confirm seller is a good dude and knowledgeable about cruisers in general.The rust also concerned me and put me off for a few months but I ended up talking to the local mechanic who had the truck there at the time and he confirmed the rust was not a big issue, just some surface rust that can be addressed and the couple bad patches were in non-important and easily replaceable areas (so I consider the description in the post to be accurate). After learning this it was an easy buy and seller was super helpful and quick in getting smog and new tires mounted so I could enjoy ownership right away. Drove it down to San Diego and it’s a champ.

Just thought I’d back the integrity of the seller. I know he’s got a few other cruisers so if he’s selling again I definitely recommend buying from him.

Cheers

Rust is always a issue, and if you can stick your hand through the rusting hole it's important. That rubber thing that right next to the big hole is called a body mount and supports the front of the body, I would say it pretty important.
I glad your happy with your purchase, But that not surface rust. I would start looking for some inner front fender wells soon !!
As a Long time Morro Bay Local, I like to know what Mechanic said that the rust was not a big issue.

Rust is always a issue, and if you can stick your hand through the rusting hole it's important. That rubber thing that right next to the big hole is called a body mount and supports the front of the body, I would say it pretty important.
I glad your happy with your purchase, But that not surface rust. I would start looking for some inner front fender wells soon !!
As a Long time Morro Bay Local, I like to know what Mechanic said that the rust was not a big issue.

I am fully aware rust is always an issue, that’s why I said it wasn’t a BIG issue lol. This car is the newest of my three, the oldest being a 70s car that has already given me much more rust trouble than this ever will.

The vast majority of the rust is surface rust. I’ll take a weekend with a wire brush, some rust inhibitor and plastic film to contain the problem. I’ll look into the fender well at that time. I know what the body mount is but the bad rust patch is on the thin part of the fender not on the body mount or frame, I think the photos make it look worse than it is.

I forgot the shop name but I looked it up at the time and they definitely seemed like a respectable shop in the area. Mechanic had the car in his possession and confirmed it is mostly surface rust and I mentioned specifically this bad patch. He literally went out to the truck and looked at it right then and there while on the phone with me. He assured me it is not a big deal because it was just on the fender that could be replaced or dealt and that structurally the car was actually pretty healthy.

I’ll tackle the rust issue sometime next week and just spot treat on occasion and apply film every year. Don’t see why this truck won’t last me another 20 years easy. My shop in San Diego also said it was a solid truck that would last me a long time.

Again glad your happy. That mount holds up all the front sheet metal and everything attached to it including the radiator. Just sayin ;)

Again glad your happy. That mount holds up all the front sheet metal and everything attached to it including the radiator. Just sayin ;)

Youre consideration has been noted and when I end up posting to the tech forums about how to deal with the rust after putting in too much blood sweat and tears I’ll tag you in it 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom