More Tranny Fun! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cruiser_Nerd

That 25 Guy.
Threads
I'm working on Mike's '59 tranny..
Here's first gear on the countershaft. Makes me cringe when people think "low mileage" plow trucks are a good thing. :doh:
teeeth.jpg

Well maybe after 47 years it was about time for a new seal..................
input.jpg

foxfab said:
its just a flesh wound!!:D

Chips or pits..................you choose. :flipoff2: Since it's first gear it could last another thirty or forty years as a driver, but it looks like the tooth behind it is starting to wear funny from half of this tooth missing.

Anyone have a good spare countershaft with bearings? :frown:

zebrabeefj40 said:
Weld it up and grind it back to shape...

It'll probably still be on the bench when you get here. I think maybe a file would be better though. :D

IIRC, the countershaft is....oh never mind, I'll go check in the morning....

Jim, this could be your huckleberry...good bearing surfaces, 1st gear shows some wear but no chips...bad bad second...maybe press 2,3,4 off of this shaft and put Fox's 2 on, then the best 3,4....only parts you would need to find would be the four rods that key the gears to the shaft, Mcmaster Carr? The rods from the pre-sm420 would be too short....

Let me know soon, they may make me go to work someday....
P3210010-1.JPG

Yes, that's perfect. I can send it back to you with the bad first gear on it so you've got a matched set. :D

I believe first is the shaft itself. Our other gears are fine so I'd just use them.

Cruiser_Nerd said:
I believe first is the shaft itself.
That it is....going to see if the pins/rods, maybe gears, are still available from Toyota?:rolleyes:

FJnotCJ said:
That it is....going to see if the pins/rods, maybe gears, are still available from Toyota?:rolleyes:

0 - zip - nothing - nada

Only thing available for the tranny and transfer is the input oil seal, transfer oil seals, and the output and intermediate shaft bearings in the transfer. Input and output bearings in the transmission are a standard ball bearing, as well as the front drive bearings in the transfer. I'll post up the numbers later.

I was stumped by the rollers on the countershaft. I was going to turn down the ends of the shaft to use a standard bearing with race. Did the originals measure exactly the same as the Chevy? ;)

Care to throw a mic on the needle bearings in the input shaft of that Chevy tranny?

I need to check what exactly comes in this kit: Chevy Kit
But if the rollers are the same it's worth the price right there. If everything is the same..........it's about the same price as the restocking fee at the bearing supply house. :rolleyes:

Countershaft diameters, cshaft bearing diameters and depths are the same, construction a little bit different...needles between input and main are way off...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom