More Trailer talk (1 Viewer)

Okay, time for a new trailer.

Last year I used my 16' Rainbow low deck. It's got a 8600lb payload (with 5200lb axles). Hauled about 7000lb of truck, motorcycle, gear on it and it worked awesome. Total load was probably about 9000lbs.

This year I used my Dad's 18' Oasis low deck. It's got a 8200lb payload on the same axles (heavier trailer). Hauled about 6000lb of stuff for a total load of 8500lbs. Worked awesome.

I NEED a 20' deck.
- My Excursion is only rated to tow 11000lbs (which I would not exceed if travelling afar, but locally wouldn't think twice about going over)
- Obviously, I need a bumper pull trailer.
- I don't ever plan to load the trailer with more than a 5500lb truck, a 1000lb motorcycle, and 1000lb of gear and parts. Total of 7500lbs.

OPTIONS
1 - Buy a 5200lb axled trailer again. A fully loaded trailer would be about 10600lbs.
PROS
Lighter (2200-2500lbs depending on brand)
Cheaper
Can haul 8000-8400 lbs (depending on brand)
CONS
Will not be able to short haul big loads over 8000lb (Think giant Ford Dually broken down on the highway or huge load of construction supplies)
Planned load will be 90-95% of trailer's capacity

2 - Get a 7000lb axled trailer.
PROS
Will handle any load I would ever want to throw on it.... ever.
Planned load will be 60-65% of trailer's capacity
CONS
More expensive (typically $800-1200 more)
Heavier and therefore less payload capacity to my trucks maximum of 11k lbs. 11k - 3klbs trailer = 8000lbs (which is still higher than my planned load)

3 - Look harder for a mid capacity trailer.... like a 6000lb axled trailer. Only problem is, these are so much less common. I wonder if bearings and brake parts will be harder to find.

What does a person do?

RockDoc

I'll take Bruce Vilanch for the block.
Are you looking at new, used or both? Is there any extra red tape for a heavier trailer in AB? Here in MB, apparently you need a class 3 license for trailers over 4530kg GVWR.

Have you been left wishing you could haul the dually or heavy building supply loads in the past? Does the odd time you'll need to haul over 4 tons justify passing up a good deal on 5200lb axles? For my needs I don't think so, though I wouldn't have said no to the same deal with 7000lb axles instead ;)

Three things I like in mine are the adjustable coupler since it's a gooseneck, the frame is rectangular tube rather than channel and it has 16" rims which I understand are uncommon with 5200# axles now.

Last edited:
Used or new.... doesn't matter.... in fact, if I can find used, that would be awesome. Tires, brakes and bearings are easy to deal with.

There are no restrictions on owning/using larger trailers AFAIK. There will be times where I'll want to overload the trailer.... it will happen. but not often. I could give this up for a lower capacity trailer.

However, I'm more worried about using the trailer at 80-95% of it's capacity all of the time vs 55-65% of it's capacity. Just seems like the trailer will last longer when it's loaded a smaller percentage of it's capacity.... maybe not though.

My trailer (and my Dad's), have handled the loads fine so far with only tire wear (brakes and bearings have held up fine) but the loads are creeping up.

I'm pretty sold on a little bit lighter trailer.... even though I always give others the advice to go heavier. The problem I have is the tow rig has a lower tow rating then most people's truck. So they don't have that restriction.

arnott1t

SILVER Star
I'd go for the larger. The 7k axles are common place and super burly. That added weight of that trailer isn't much in the long run. The tow rating you speak of may not be mandated anyway. Often GCVW is a recommendation and is not enforceable by a road cop. What they can ticket is GVW and Tire and axle ratings. Tow to what your comfortable. I bet the excursion handled 9k easy and would haul much more comfortably.

I'd go big axles and good 14 ply tires. Then never worry about it again.

As I understand the 5200lb axles are identical in bearing size to the 3500lb axles but simply have larger brakes.

Food for thought.

We ended up snagging the gooseneck we borrowed from Char's dad permanently and have another mega trailer in the works....

I'll be adding a 3rd 7000lb axle to our goose to give it some margin. When we scaled on the way home I was within 500lbs of the trailer axles rating. and grossed at 25 000 lbs with all our gear people and fuel. With and extra axle I be a little more comfortable.

Cool Tyler.

The 5200lb axles are not all the same. The ones on my 16' trailer use smaller tubes than the ones on my Dad's 18' (different brands too). I didn't just repack my bearings, but I did his, and I'm pretty sure they are larger than the 3500lb axles.... but the ones on mine might not be. They are both definitely lighter than the 7k axles though.

It would be good to know whether the GCVW is enforceable by anyone, cause I'd hate to be overloaded and have to cut a trip short. I'm gonna check with BC traffic and see what they enforce (unless someone else knows).... cause I've heard they are pretty strict there. In fact, I think they actually pick on the tow rating.

Good idea with the third axle. Would it also be possible to just do dually axles (I can't remember the config of your frame around the axles)?

arnott1t

SILVER Star
I've heard the dually axle pull heavy. I also like the redundancy of 3 axles. You can lose one and limp or even 2 and really limp. Thinking bearings wise and what not. I also am not sure dually axles can be set up for torsion and are often spring axles. My adopted trailer expert say springs are higher maintenance and less reliable.

Trump this, bitches. Say hello to the Peteharlyler hauler. Ok - it needs a better name....

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom