More Timing Belt Qs, Alternator Mounting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Doing a timing belt change in 100°+ weather, and not trusting my eyes. Guys that have done a number of the these...is this crank seal seated? I just made a poor man's press from PVC pipe and the crank pulley bolt, and I'm not trusting it. Mostly worried about the bottom.
20200803_130657.jpg
20200803_130702.jpg
20200803_130711.jpg
20200803_130726.jpg

Probably should have looked at the pictures before I posted, looking at them now I think they answered my own question. Looks fine to me 🤷‍♂️

Send it

I think its fine. Only takes finger pressure to seat. Looking at it can be deceiving. Feel by hand and if it feels the same "depth " all the way around you are good. If you haven't done the cam seals yet, careful with those. Real easy to roll the inner part of the seal. Don't ask me how I know.

Did my crank seal last year and your's looks just like it. And no leaks! I think you're golden.

+1 to looks fine.

So, no making this sound better than it is, I wasn't paying enough attention when I took everything down yesterday and now I need help putting it back, lol. This can't be right for the alternator can it? Talking about all that exposed shank on the bolt there...was there a spacer or something? Or do I have it in the wrong spot?
20200804_155749.jpg
20200804_163507.jpg

Last edited:
That's a brown crank seal....they shouldn't be brown. It means all the plasticizer is gone. Replace it while you're in there.

That's a brown crank seal....they shouldn't be brown. It means all the plasticizer is gone. Replace it while you're in there.

Hmm, it's new from Cruiser Outfitters, maybe the photo caught the color funny. That's an interesting tip though, thanks for the heads up! 👍

Crank seals (brand new) come in two colors, black and brown.

Your statement tends to hold true with hard plastics (but not rubber, butyl, etc products).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom