more steering cancer....... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been plagued with steering issues. Seems that if you fix one thing it screws up another. Anyone following my saga knows that the OME cc bushings had me at zero degrees of caster and the truck wandered the road pretty bad with my 33’s. So I opted to press out the CC bushings and put new OEM bushings in place with Slee’s caster plates. Now I seem to be noticing two things. First, I think it’s called the track bar, is coming in contact with the control arms. As a side note I have not welded the plates yet but plan on doing so. I am noticing some movement because some times if I look under the truck I have an inch clearance from the control arms. Other times when I look under the truck they are touching (as the pic shows). Second, on full droop my front drive shaft hits my sway bar. I believe this can be remedied by purchasing slee’s drop blocks for the front sway bar.

So, what’s up with the hitting? Will adding the Mr. Gasket spacers rotate the axle enough to get the track bar off the control arms? And secondly, will welding the plates eliminate the movement I seem to be noticing?
steering cancer 002 (Small).jpg
steering cancer 001 (Small).jpg
steering cancer 003 (Small).jpg

isn't that why Christo warns that some grinding may be needed? (from memory)

OK, sorry guys, i've been under a ton of stress lately. So that is what everyone was talking about earlier as far as grinding goes. I thought the only grinding needed was to get the plates to fit, but apparenlty i need to take a little off the arms. Dang, i swear one thing leads to another to another to another.

Advice to all who plan on lifting their truck, DO NOT CUT CORNERS! Do it all the first time and do it right.

Some time in the future i plan on going with the 6 inch lift. When i do so, i will be sure to order the ENTIRE package and put it all on at the same time. Hopefully i will not have any issues then.

the reason I remembered this is because I really don't like the idea of grinding the arms... Enough to get me to consider the drop down brackets...

The pictures are nice. However if you wish to keep that driveshaft long, lower the sway bar links as soon as possible.

Darwood said:
The pictures are nice. However if you wish to keep that driveshaft long, lower the sway bar links as soon as possible.

Yea, that's about to be happy birthday to me. :D

concretejungle said:
OK, sorry guys, i've been under a ton of stress lately. So that is what everyone was talking about earlier as far as grinding goes. I thought the only grinding needed was to get the plates to fit, but apparenlty i need to take a little off the arms. Dang, i swear one thing leads to another to another to another.

Advice to all who plan on lifting their truck, DO NOT CUT CORNERS! Do it all the first time and do it right.

Some time in the future i plan on going with the 6 inch lift. When i do so, i will be sure to order the ENTIRE package and put it all on at the same time. Hopefully i will not have any issues then.

Ain't that the truth CJ....

-o-

There was a pretty big thread where I discovered most of this the hard way.

Build yourself some damn drop blocks. takes an hour and $10 of material. You will do driveshaft damage if you do not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom