More sound deadening progress (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Well it's way quieter after all the dynamat-ing and with the new carpet padding. I'm going to get another small pack of dynamat Xtreme to put on the floor over where my muffler is, and some high temp Lytherm Zero Clearance to put on the underside of my floor in the same area. That should pretty much get rid of (or drastically reduce) the interior noise from my exhaust. After that I need to give my wheel wells a good hard scrubbing so I can apply the spray on Dynamat; then when my hood is repainted I'll put on the hoodliner I have sitting at my folks' place. After that I'll take my "after" readings with the sound meter and I'll post my results with a bunch of pics I've been taking along the way. It's getting closer and closer...

sl33py said:
what did it start off at w/ the sound meter? xxxdb?

At idle, I got 84db; acceleration (going up to 30MPH from a stop) was 94db; and highway cruising without accelerating was 102db. I'm waiting until I'm completely done before taking new readings, so I can see how much of a difference everything together makes.

These were also taken with dry roads. Obviously, wet pavement/blacktop is much louder :doh:

Wow. 84db @ idle is pretty loud, IMHO...

How did you set up your meter? I've got an SPL from the Shack, I may check out my readings...

zcruiser said:
Wow. 84db @ idle is pretty loud, IMHO...

How did you set up your meter? I've got an SPL from the Shack, I may check out my readings...

I held it above the transmission hump, just forward of the console with the pickup facing forward. This was also done with my windows closed.

sl33py, my exhaust is 2.5" from the Y pipe back with a Flowmaster 50 series muffler. My cats were replaced with straight pipes though, and that made it considerably louder. Sure sounds good on the outside though :D

Did you take a new reading after you had completed the install?

Nice! I measured mine going 60-65 on I-90, on a smooth section. I got 90-100db.

I have an older analog SPL meter from the shack as well. I held it just above my tuffy facing forward ( so about the same placement).

I can't wait to get mine completed and see how big of a difference i've made. It better be a HUGE difference... hehehe. I just tore out my headliner and am starting to dampen it.

where are the pics Spook?!

:cheers:

rob

Did you take a new reading after you had completed the install?

Honestly I'm not happy with how the carpet padding has held up in the long run, so I'm going to pull it out, put deadener on the floor (probably Second Skin stuff), then just use some marine grade jute padding under the carpet. Something that can handle getting wet without letting mold and mildew grow. This will be done when I'm able to do up some new carpet using the sewn stuff I already have as a pattern. I'm trying to source some charcoal colored marine carpet. Something that can take a beating.

Once I redo that and finish spraying stuff in the wheel wells, I'll take final measurements.

Damn, looking at the original date I started this thread, I should really get off my ass and finish this project...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom