More rattle on startup

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by snowwolfwarrior, Jul 3, 2005.

1. snowwolfwarrior

snowwolfwarrior

I have noticed that my engine is far more rattly on startup, I did change the oil a few weeks ago to castrol magnatec 10 40 I did not change the filter as I do that every other oil change, it rattles only for a few seconds on a cold start up, but it is quite loud now.
    I have read on forum about the rattle and some cures and fixes, but has anyone recently found any new ideas on how to stop it.

2. 92FJ

92FJ

Some people say to use a smaller oil filter and others just dont mind. I have start up rattle from time to time but its totally normal most mechs say.

3. snowwolfwarrior

snowwolfwarrior

mmmm I have read that the ratle is nothing to worry about, but being an engineer, I just need to know what the noise is, its the not knowing that worries me.

4. RavenTai

RavenTai

It is related to the timing chain. Robbie has had luck reducing/eliminating it by enlarging the oil hole to the chain tensioner. This lets the tensioner get control of the chain quicker.

I have a very unsubstantiated theory that rare broken chain slipper is related to start up rattle.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=564016&postcount=17

Things you can do to reduce or eliminate it is get you start up RPM down by cleaning the throttle body and or O-ring trick on the idle air control valve, and as you said use the smaller filter. If that does not do it look up Robbies posts about the oil hole.

Or just let it rattle.

5. Dusty

Dusty

I put a preluber on mind and rattle almost gone but if i turn off the luber (i have a switch) the rattle is back. These observations are consistent with the chain tensioner concept-give tensioner oil (preluber or drill it out-as in prior posts) and rattle can be minimized.

6. Tools R Us

Tools R Us

I changed the Rotella T 5W-40 and big Purolator Pure One filter to Mobil 15W-50 and new "cheap" OEM filter and the rattle went away, '96 with 49K miles. My brother just put Rotella T 5W-40 and a small Purolator Pure One filter in his truck and no rattle, '97 with 110K miles. Maybe the big filters have something to do with making it worse?

7. tacomafj-80

tacomafj-80

I use Mobil 1 10-30 syn. with a fram 3600 oil filter and I dont have any rattles at all. It may be the t-chain tens. as others have stated. I had the same problem when I had a toyota truck with a 22r. It turned out to be a busted timing chain guide. on a side note-I like running the bigger filter. any opinions on whats the best filter out there?

8. tacomafj-80

tacomafj-80

Thanks Kevin-good info :beer:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.