More power wanted, as usual (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like everybody driving a 2F, I'd like more power. Already have K&N air filter, Bosch +4 Platinum plugs, performance wires.
Anybody have any luck getting more power/better mileage with an upgraded ignition? I'm thinking of doing something there next. If so, can you reccomend a brand? MSD? Crane? Mallory?

Difficulty: CA smog legal

Thanks in advance.

The questions will be raised: what kind of power? HP or torque?
Now on with my answer: Plugs don't necessarily equate to more power and apparently, platinum just makes them last longer (researched this on 'mud before for my LX450). I think modest gains are had with one or a combination of these things (more of these combined add more power, obviously) the addition of headers, RV grind cam, milling the head (increases compression and HP). Regearing will make you feel like you have more power.
I'm not not sold that an MSD ignition or DEI distributor add a measurable amount of power... I have an MSD because my stock igniter crapped out and the MSD 6A was cheaper than a new ignitor (running it 12 years and still going strong).

I'm sure I missed something obvious but I'm sure some one will pick up what I missed.

Like everybody driving a 2F, I'd like more power. Already have K&N air filter, Bosch +4 Platinum plugs, performance wires.
Anybody have any luck getting more power/better mileage with an upgraded ignition? I'm thinking of doing something there next. If so, can you reccomend a brand? MSD? Crane? Mallory?

Difficulty: CA smog legal

Thanks in advance.

None of the mods you have done will increase power by any noticeable amount. It is doubtful that an aftermarket ignition will do so either on an otherwise stock engine.

If you want power... compression increase, camshaft upgrade, intake/induction improvement, free flowing exhaust.. ALL together.

Mark...

None of the mods you have done will increase power by any noticeable amount. It is doubtful that an aftermarket ignition will do so either on an otherwise stock engine.

If you want power... compression increase, camshaft upgrade, intake/induction improvement, free flowing exhaust.. ALL together.

Mark...

And there you have it, from one of the well respected "those who know" or guru's of the TLC/'mud community.

Cam mods could mess with Kaliforniastans smog laws. But that's the fun of driving a 2F powered cruiser on the street. It's lot like driving a combine on the autobahn.

It would all mess with Kali's smog laws... a C series oOffy with a 500cfm Edelbrock on top of it, 9.5:1 compression, 260 degree duration cam, headers and 2.5 inch exhaust with all the smog stuff ditched... makes for a nice 2F... but not smog legal.

Smog legal power increases in Kalifornia with a 2F... Not gonna happen.

Mark...

I would run stock plugs, and generall stock other stuff. Not much worth doing...expect make sure you do normal tune-up type stuff.

my platinum bosch plugs lasted 11 months before they were toast. i'm just buying the cheap s***e now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom