More power+power steering?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 74 with the 1.5F 4 speed. I thought i wanted to do a 350 with auto trans, but after some research and talking to people ive found that if i add that much power im going to need to start replacing axles and such. I dont need a ton more power, but i would like a little more and an auto trans, possibly fuel injected. This is a hunting rig, not a rock crawler. I also have to have power steering, the non power is a pain in the you know what! The most complete saginaw conversion i found is over a grand and you still have to source some parts, way too pricey.

What would a good motor tranny combo be for a bit more power, fuel injection, auto trans, and stock ps. Maybe a 60 series? Are the 60s carb'd, im assuming so. Not a mechanic by any means, so all of the work would have to be done by a shop.

Thanks for any help!!

is the 3fe motor from a 60 or an 80 series, i might have meant an 80?

Your best bet would be to find a vehicle where that stuff has already been done to it.
It will be way cheaper than paying someone to do it. And you can sell your existing 40 to someone who wants an original one.

Yes it will be cheaper to find one than pay a shop to do the work. Installing power steering isnt that hard if you can weld search will bring up hundred of threads. Drive train will handle the sbc without any problems autos are longer so preplanning to get a rear driveline that will work.

Lots of folks have run of the mill SBCs in front of a stock drivetrain and it holds up fine.

You can keep your 1.5F motor and add minitruck power steering (no welding), so that way you have power steering if you're willing to put up with how your motor runs.

You can get a 3FE from a 1988-1990 FJ62 with auto trans, or a 3FE from a 1991-1992 FJ80 with auto trans. The 3FE will also mate to a later 4 spd or 5 spd manual trans.

Or you can take the 3FE head/fuel injected intake and bolt it on top of a later model 2F engine (from a 1981-1987 FJ60) and basically have a stroked 3FE (also called a 2FE around this forum).

Here's some threads I have saved on the subject:
Pappy 3FE stroker build/ROTW
mmw68 3FE swap
tucker74 3FE swap
RockDoc 2FE build
CruisinFJ60 2FE swap
BamaBleach 3FE build
elripster 3FE conversion
2FE threads
Best 2F
2F TBI vs. 2F MPI

Another option would be TBI :meh:

Auto trans is going to add length to your drivetrain, and 40s don't have much to spare, so you may be looking at moving your rear axle back unless you get a shorter engine that you can move forward like an SBC. I'm not sure a 3FE with auto trans will fit lengthwise.

You should learn how to :wrench: yourself, or else you're going to pay big bucks to a shop to do any of these mods to your cruiser. And they probably won't understand what you're trying to do or get it done right unless they're a cruiser-specific shop (and even then they may not get it right).

You can find an 88-92 cruiser for a donor, use the motor, automatic, split case, power steering and disc brake parts if you don't already have them. The drive train is going to be long. You may want to flip your rear springs to get some more wheelbase.

I have a 74 with the 1.5F 4 speed. I thought i wanted to do a 350 with auto trans, but after some research and talking to people ive found that if i add that much power im going to need to start replacing axles and such.

Run the numbers. If you WANT the SBC/automatic trans, and it makes sense from a cost perspective, go for it. I've seen plenty of broken parts on 'stock' drivetrains. IMHO, broken parts are more a function of the driver's foot, skill level and overall vehicle condition than any horsepower or torque advantage. I'll grant that the early birf's are more prone to breaking under certain circumstances, but a disk brake conversion with OEM parts will take care of that issue.

Really, it depends on how much you "build" the SBC. If you're running a 550HP cammed SBC out of a corvette or something, and then you gun it - yeah you might snap your rear pinion or something. "SBC" is a very generic term because performance can very a ton from one SBC To the next.

That said I'm running a stock, carbed gen1 SBC. I would be shocked it I had more than 230 HP, and at no point have I been worried about breaking something.

Really, it depends on how much you "build" the SBC. If you're running a 550HP cammed SBC out of a corvette or something, and then you gun it - yeah you might snap your rear pinion or something. "SBC" is a very generic term because performance can very a ton from one SBC To the next.

That said I'm running a stock, carbed gen1 SBC. I would be shocked it I had more than 230 HP, and at no point have I been worried about breaking something.

Everything in moderation!;)

Everything in moderation!;)

Except fuel consumption...and rust...and financial ruin...oh, yeah, and sh!t eating grins every time you get in and go for a drive :D

Also - My SBC is NICE, but my (mostly broken, PO hacked) Saginaw power steering conversion would STILL be my mod of choice between the two. Can't go wrong with the toyota F engine, but d@mn if it doesn't get tiring arm wrestling a 4000lb truck.

I agree. When I'm asked about the best, most practical, mod to do first to an FJ40 - without a doubt it's power steering. After that it's a matter of personal preference, how you plan to use the rig and $$$$$$$.

Ed's advice above is good, but just know that you'll lose your handbrake if you use the whole drivertrain from a later model vehicle. 1974 has a drum mounted on the back of the transfer case. Starting in 1979 the parking brake drum was moved to one at each rear wheel.

Power steering is about the single best mod you can make to a FJ40 to make it more driveable.
If you're planning on big tires and rock crawling, Saginaw is probably the way to go.
If not, then you could do an FJ60 steering box or a minitruck steering box. Any of those will make for a nicer driving rig.

If you want an automatic, really a 350 is the best way to go because of drivetrain length issues. The 3F/A440 from an FJ62 or FJ80 will be VERY long so, as others have said, other modifications such as flipping rear spring and adding a rear axle mounted parking brake come into play as well. If you can find an FJ62 being parted, get the drivetrain, axles, and parking brake handle.

Thanks alot for the help guys! Is the minitruck ps cheaper to do than the saginaw,and where can I get a setup?

Starting in 1979 the parking brake drum was moved to one at each rear wheel.

that is incorrect, the ebrake moved to the rear axle in the 81 model year

Thanks alot for the help guys! Is the minitruck ps cheaper to do than the saginaw,and where can I get a setup?

lots of reading in the tech links and searching here in the 40 forum, it depends on how much work you can do yourself, and how much you'll farm out.
how good you are at finding the needed parts.
I've got 60 series setups along with 55 columns up north of you.

The bottom line is - do your homework. This forum is packed with incredibly valuable information. The FJ40 is one of the most modifiable, versatile platforms you can start with and there are tons of options to mix and match. It depends entirely on whether you're going for a stock vehicle, an off roader, a driver, a crawler, a dune buggy, etc. The hardest part (for me) was deciding what I wanted to do with it. From there, it's just a matter of time and money.

3_puppies, im no good at sourcing parts, only because i dont know what i need. If i had a list of everything i needed i could probably track everything down. You have 60 series setups, are they complete, or would i need to source some parts? if so, would you like to part with one, and how much would you be willing to sell them for? Again thanks for the help! Doing a transplant isnt in the near future, i need to pay off the new truck first, but the power steering would be sooooo nice if i can afford it!!!

I just got done reading some threads about the mini conversion, it looks like something i may be able to do, and i have a few buddies that can turn a wrench who would possibly be willing to help. Looks like grinding the rivets out would be about the worst part.

that is incorrect, the ebrake moved to the rear axle in the 81 model year.

:whoops: My bad, I thought the move to the rear axle coincided with the change in the parking brake lever.

To the OP, there are places like JT Outfitters that sell all the components for the minitruck conversion. Some people have not had good luck with them as a vendor, I've never had a problem personally :meh:

I did the FJ60 conversion and love it, but it's a lot more work than the minitruck setup. One thing I would do different if I did it again (and still plan to change back when I get the chance) is I would not use an FJ55 steering column again, but that's just personal preference on how you want to do the conversion.

You'll be amazed how much fun it is to drive with new power steering. As others said, if you want an auto tranny and more power buy a cruiser with those mods already done, you're talking about $10k of mods plus, and then you'll want disc brakes! Unless the 40 has sentimental value, if you really want those mods sell your truck and buy one for $5k that's already been done, 350 fj40s are in that price range on ksl.com all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom