More on my 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I got the front and rear axle out to begin the SOA. Kinda made me mad I did the front disks a few months ago and now I had to tear down the whole front axle agian--more practice I guess.

Heres a pic with the axles out.
lc6fr.jpg

I then started to work on the steering column, getting a new column from cruiserman350 next week. I got the old box and bracket off the frame. Kinda a pain in the ace with just a 4"
steering9la.jpg

I got kinda bored waiting for parts for the SOA, so I decided to start to tear out the interior and see what has been lurking under the carpet that was BOLTED down by the PO. I took out the seats, tuffy, and under insulation, which was under the carpet pading, which was under the carpet, I found a bit of rust.

I put the wire wheel on and started to take as much as i could off. ended up spending the next 6 hours working on the tub. I think i should be ok, but I wanted to get a few opinions of others on this rust. Do you think I need to cut it out and replace the floor, or just go with some anit rust stuff like POR 15. Its not like there are any holes in the floor, but the tranny hump seems to have a few holes around the edges. I wire wheeled the bottom of the floor as best I could, but there is still roughness and blackness. I cant get anymore off.

pass0ip.jpg

maintub6jx.jpg

driver8ts.jpg

tub27wo.jpg

Yeah if you can stand on it and it aint goin anywhere I'd leave it and use some por15 or that other stuff, can't remember the name. You can always find a new tranny hump on ebay for pretty cheap. Also crawl under there and see what kinda rust is on the underbody. But I think it looks pretty good myself. Good luck

Yeah, it's not too bad. I'd use a rust converter/nuetralizer/encapsulator over all of it to stop the advance, then fill any unwanted holes with a little bit of an epoxy product made for it. Then seal it up with POR or if you like, one of the line-x type coatings.

thanks for the info guys. Its pretty sturdy, I can stand on it and there are no issues. It just looks somewhat scary. Im going to fill in the unused holes then do the POR, then the bedliner stuff. I think i should be good then. I wish I would have taken some pics of the underside of the carpet insulation, it looked like the underside was all rust.

WOW, your really jump-in right in :D

Although I kept mine SUA, my interior received similar treatment.

Wire wheel all rust and anything loose (wear safety glasses)

Fill all un-used holes w/epoxy (use a piece of masking tape on one side, turns a hole into a Crater...easier to work with).

Use seam-sealer caulking to seal all exposed edges, and unwanted seams.

Apply rust neutralizer where needed.

scuff everywhere you will be applying a coat of primer/por-15/zero-rust/rust-bullet, and mask all edges you don't want to prime/paint.

Apply one coat of primer/por-15/zero-rust/rust-bullet and let dry.
(when applying anything over your bed, take care of all necessary threaded holes...you may have to chase each hole w/a tap when you are done).

Apply second coat of primer/por-15/zero-rust/rust-bullet followed by one coat of herculiner/dura-coat?

Repeat the herculiner/dura-coat until desired thickness/finish is achieved (mine received 3 coats w/5 coats on floor/bed)..allowing each coat to dry.

Remove masking tape when done, and enjoy a cold one...you will be pleased w/results.

Hope this helps,
manny

PS - Please keep me in the loop on any future Dustin appearances/wrenching events...may try to cruiser-pool :D

Dang, thanks for all the info Manny! I got to get this thing going sooner than later and it might as well be now.

Question, what type of rust killer and bed liner did you use? And did you spray, or roll/brush yours in? I dont have a compressor at the moment :doh: so unless I can find a cheapie Im going to get painting.

Let me know if you guys have anything major coming up, I would be game to come down too!

I have an HVLP setup you can utilize for your body, but Mark is currently in possession of it
(fixing his parent's ford, before they get back from there European vacation) :D

I have had good results applying zero-rust/port-15 with those disposable brushes.
The same goes for the Herculiner, rollers (came w/kit) and more disposable brushes.

Tip on zero-rust/por-15 (If you go that route):
Buy a GAL and drill a hole into the lid, and seal w/FAT Bolt.
Back-out bolt and pour when needed, Seal when done (maintains a good seal, and much easier to work with).

I have also had good results w/extend Rust Converter (Neutralizer) avail. at local APS:
http://www.duro.com/products/detail.asp?catid=13&subid=47&plid=168

Keep taking pics...I took several, but wish I took more of work I did to my truck.

manny

Last edited:
I got a brand new (never used) fiberglass tranny hump I bought for my '76 that I decided not to use (keeping the Aqualu one that came with my AL tub). I'll sell it to you cheap if you want. Easy to ship also.

Hit me up on PM if interested.

AndrewT

DUUUUDE! I didint even know you had this thread going! Ok, heres my few cents

my floor looks like yours :D Sucks huh! :D I think its ok thouhg. If you can sandblast any of it, then I think thats a good way to go. otherwise sanding disk on the 4". I know how you feel about the 4" brother, but its just one of those things that takes time. The grinder at seams does suck though, and I dont think wire wheel does much beetter though. But when youre done, get to the POR 15. Expensive but will be worth it. Use the caulking after you do th e POR. Then get some paint, even if its rattle can, over it. Paint guns are cheap too. Check the pawn shops and even Harbor Freight. Its going to be a long, expensive haul! Body work sucks - which is why I have been putting it off for last :)

if youre looking for a grinding project, get rid of that steering stablizer mount in the first pic. Its going to be in the way once youre done with the SOA.

Are you keeping your motor or going to Chevy?

I have a few drive shafts that may be of use to you. If you need anything, let me know!

Mike, youre now a Cruiser junky and need help :D

cheers!
Dustin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom