More OME Quest-ions ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spike Strip

Goblin Mode Activated
SILVER Star
Threads
Sorry, more OME q's that I can't find in a search...

Cruiser Outfitters lists the CS004 as the "Heavy" spring.

MAF List the CS005 as their "Heavy"

MAF also sells a "modified" kit using "dual-stage" CS004 rears:

"Although not listed here we offer a customized version of our medium kit with a modified CS004R DAKAR leaf spring w/5 leafs in the main stack supported by 2 load leafs. This lighter rear dual stage spring tends to yield the best overall ride quality of all the kits listed with the ability to carry loads. It also tends to give a more level stance front to rear than the other kits which tend to lift the rear higher than the front".

I'm confused:confused:

I will have an ARB front with winch, and ARB rear, single pivot, rt. side (pass) tire carrier. Roof rack and possibly RRT... SUA

Won't be a DD, but will be used around town on occasion.

And MOST OF ALL -- I want to avoid the "Stink Bug" stance :bounce:

So what is really the "heavy" setup? And whatcha all runnin?

Oh, yeah, obvious question, maybe, but the 16mm vs 19mm shock pins refers to the Diameter, yes? I ask because I'm right at the change over month.

Thanks!!

S

Give kurt a call at cruiseroutfitters. He is very knowledgable on the whole arb issue. It is really more of a personal preferance than anything else. What one butt considers rough another one thinks is great.
As far at the stink bug, The truck will start out high in the rear and slowly settel into place. Mine is slightly higher in the rear but level when driving. I personally hate it when you load one down and the A** end is hanging down.

Ordered my heavies from CruiserOutfitters. The springs have CS004 on them. Not sure what the CS005's are.

Picture%20189.jpg

Eight leaves in the spring pack on my heavies.

Picture%20190.jpg

My "medium" kit from MAF has 6 main and 2 overload (8 total) leaves on the back, CSR004R.

Is the Safari Suspension System from MAF also an ARB product ?

Must be MAFs "own" line. Googling Safari suspension yields the MAF site, and a bunch on GMC/Pontiac Safaris.

My "medium" kit from MAF has 6 main and 2 overload (8 total) leaves on the back, CSR004R.

Weird, why would MAF's mediums springs be the same as CO's heavies?

FYI, I have a totally stock '89 FJ62. I put OME heavies front and rear on it, and it is now slightly "stink bug". To correct it, I'm guessing I'll have to put a rear tire carrier on it to push the back down, or else remove a rear leaf.

I'll post a pic later.

Ha, so all this time when people kept saying "Get the Heavies", and I was thinking the mediums are fine, they're actually the same thing.

The Heavies have an extra leaf in them.

But Kurt's heavy duty kit has CS004s (CS005s available as individual springs) while MAF calls their kit with the CS004s "medium duty" and the CS005s "heavy duty". So saying get the heavy kit from Kurt is equivalent to saying get the medium kit from MAF....unless Kurt's website doesn't properly represent what he considers each kit.

The heavies are identified by three full-length leafs; the main which forms the eyes, the second forms the military wrap around the fixed end of the first leaf, and the third is full-length but does not wrap around the first two. A medium spring does not have that third, full-length leaf. I love the heavies. You can always revome a leaf if you think they are too stiff, but it's far more difficult to stiffen a soft spring. Even being the heavies they ride so much better than stock and still articulate like crazy, I think they are the way to go.

ome

spike strip listen, call kurt and do a build sheet( tell him the intended use of your fj and all the crap you want to put on it). he will let you know what you need. if you want to compare call MAF and see what they say you need, i bet you will find MAF to be not so upfront and knowledgeable. at least thats the way they came off to me. i ended up getting the heavy plus+ full meal deal kit from kurt. build in progress:grinpimp:

Ordered my heavies from CruiserOutfitters. The springs have CS004 on them. Not sure what the CS005's are.

Picture%20189.jpg

Eight leaves in the spring pack on my heavies.

Picture%20190.jpg
The CS005F/RA/RB are the 3.5 inch Ultra Heavy Springs. Just got mine from fedex yesterday. :cheers:

I got an email from Kurt:

"We consider the CS005 springs the heavy "plus" as ARB has always
designated the CS004 as a heavy and by adding an additional leaf you
create the heavy plus CS005's. Make sense. We set up a lot of trucks with
each, really depends on your particular needs."

I'm gonna call him today and order whatever he recommends.:)

Thanks for all the input!

S.

you won't be sorry.

I got an email from Kurt:

"We consider the CS005 springs the heavy "plus" as ARB has always
designated the CS004 as a heavy and by adding an additional leaf you
create the heavy plus CS005's. Make sense. We set up a lot of trucks with
each, really depends on your particular needs."

I'm gonna call him today and order whatever he recommends.:)

Thanks for all the input!

S.

Yup, that's exactly what I did several years ago...called kurt, told him about my cruiser and how I use and intend to use it. I ordered whatever he said I should get. he won't lead you astray.

Yes. All the accolades for Kurt are spot on. If you're going to buy OME, call Kurt at Cruiseroutfitters.com.

I live 20 miles from MAF and I still went with Kurt -- MAF doesn't sell OME bushies with their "kit", and Kurt's knowledge and experience with the product made me feel very confident I was getting the proper setup.

I just bought mine today ... My CC is a little more swollen, but hey, it's for a worthy cause! :D

S.

OME 60 springs;

Part No./ No of leaves/Free camber(mm)/Spring Rate (Lb/inch)

Front;
CS003F 5 200 220
CS004F 6 196 257
CS005F 7 196 305
CS006F 7 220 302 - 40mm longer to shackle end

Rear;
CS017RA 8 250 255
CS017RB 8 230 255

CS004RA 6+2 250 268/570
CS004RB 6+2 230 268/570

CS005RA 7+2 250 314/617
CS005RB 7+2 230 314/617