More new pink panties (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I posted about a month ago concerning a salvage title LX450.....well, for better or worse, I bought it. Spent a full 9 hours between me and my buddy (who has some experience with salvage vehicles, and did not find anything majorly wrong with it.

So anyway, it's a 97, 65,000 miles, not locked (as of yet). The only slight problem has been the CEL with a 300 code (random/multiple cylinder misfire). I cannot feel it misfire and it seems to only do it under heavy acceleration. I was leaning towards the mess of wires under the EGR, but today I stopped by the Lexus dealership to pull service records, and they had it in for the CEL saga. The guy told me that they had found corrosion under the instrument panel and had replaced a couple of connectors at the ECU, thinking that it was caused or was getting a false signal there. But he had no idea how everything would have gotten wet in the first place.

When I get home, I started poking around and sure enough, there is a lot of rust under there. Even found new drips. Eventually, my search led me to the lower driver side corner of the windshield, where I found a leak. So, I am planning to bring it to an auto glass place and have them reseal the glass.

Have any of you had the glass leak and drip onto all of the electronics and cause problems? I have searched everything that I can find, which is why I was leaning towards the EGR problem in the first place. Thanks in advance for the help!!!

Pics-sorry they are a little fuzzy.....
100_0150 (Small).jpg
100_0222.JPG
100_0224.JPG

Congrats. Did you get a good deal with the salvage tile?

I would spend some time and break everything down and clean/replace what you need to. You need to get all remnants of the rust out.

Be thankful thats all that you got wrong with your cruise :flipoff2: Mine leaks oil :mad:

nyk438 said:
Be thankful thats all that you got wrong with your cruise :flipoff2: Mine leaks oil :mad:
Nick,
I've changed the oil pan gasket in my 91 and the rear main seal. Consider changing the pan gasket first. And get the one peice oil pan gasket from the dealer or SOR.

Romer,
I thought the deal was fair for this area. Any low mileage 96-97's are going for 17-19K, locked or not. The salesman wasn't going to budge much, but I got it for 14,500. In Iowa (which is where it was titled), as little as $3000 damage would earn it a red title. Talked to the previous owner and he said that the DS front fender, hood, bumper, and radiator was replaced. Looked to me like the master cylinder was new as well as the brake lines and a few other things in that area.

BTW, I told my wife that I wanted to buy an ARB asap because we have a TON of deer in these parts. She wasn't too cool with another $625 going out until I showed her pics of your daughter's misadventure. Upon seeing the lack of damage to your rig, she got on board in a hurry!!

Tony

jklubens said:
Nick,
I've changed the oil pan gasket in my 91 and the rear main seal. Consider changing the pan gasket first. And get the one peice oil pan gasket from the dealer or SOR.

Yeah the oil pan is first to get a new gasket, the rear seal has been leaking for years and the job was quoted at a few hundred to get it fixed. I might try and tackle it myself once I learn more and acquire more tools. Don't I have to drop the tranny to get to the rear oil seal?

More pics......
100_0223.JPG
100_0226.JPG
100_0227.JPG

One more of my herd....
100_0178 (Small).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom