More map light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I really should be packing up for Death Valley next week, but a package showed up while I was at work. So here's a little mod for more light from the front map lights that use a 168/194 bulb.
LED produce a brighter light at a fraction of the amperage draw and I found these units at Super Bright LEDs and decided to try to retrofit my map lights.
LED2.jpg
I took my lamp light/sunroof switch housing out and measured the inside of the lights. Took a chance ordered one to play with and see what it would wind up like. Well they fit better than I had hoped for. I pulled the lens out and then fit the circuit board in to where I needed to grind out a retainer ring. Using a Dremel tool with a disc grinder, I made a groove for the board to fit in. I also ground the corners of the board to round them off. The circuit on the back is close to the edge so I had to watch out for not getting into that.
LED4.jpg
Next, I just took a sharp pick tool and carved out the recess until the board fit and snapped into place.
LED6.JPG

With friends like Spressomon who send me links to websites that sell stuff I really don't need, it's no wonder I spend my free time in the garage.
LED2.jpg
LED4.jpg
LED6.JPG

The lens

Next I tried the plug to get it the right way, the board must be supplied with the right current flow or the LEDs do not work.
The lens fit on with no problems and then I reassembled everything.

LED7.JPG

Sorry about the bad pictures, but here you can sort of see the difference in the light output. Notice the rearview mirror reflection and you can really see the output difference.

LED8.JPG

Now it's time for the other side.
LED7.JPG
LED8.JPG

Nice!

Here's a couple of shots now that it's dark to show the difference.
168 bulb lighting=
LED12.JPG

and with the 168 and the LED light.
LED12A.JPG
LED12.JPG
LED12A.JPG

Now which ones are for the dome lights???? I feel retarted. How are you mudders figuring out what what lights are for the correct applications???

All help would be great!!!!

Campfire:

Awesome mod!! Your gonna have to stop by and show this off when your up valley.

Someone has to experiment and just try things out. That's one of the huge reasons I'm a proponent of purchasing a star to support Mud - think of all the work other people are doing so others can just "plug and play".

For any of the lights in your truck, they have a model number or type - festoon, wedge, twist socket, etc. All you have to do is look at the light and see what LED corresponds to it. Check the thread I started last week for the dome lights. You purchase them from George Scolaro (MUD individual).

Now which ones are for the dome lights???? I feel retarted. How are you mudders figuring out what what lights are for the correct applications???

All help would be great!!!!

Campfire:

Awesome mod!! Your gonna have to stop by and show this off when your up valley.

This is the dome light to use:

Dome LED lighting

There is nothing that can compare with the light output and (minimal) power draw of George's dome light.

I have George's LEDs in the domes. I'm probably in the minority here but I prefer a warmer temp bulb. The cold bluish light of the LED's is bothersome to my eyes. I certainly can appreciate their efficiency...but a light with a 4,500-5,000K temp would be better at least for my eyes.

And it would be nice to see a published lumen value for stock bulbs and the available LED lamps.

I have George's LEDs in the domes. I'm probably in the minority here but I prefer a warmer temp bulb. The cold bluish light of the LED's is bothersome to my eyes.

I agree that I would like them warmer and would get them again if George did a batch with a warmer bulb. FYI, George is using the 6500k lumileds LED (what they call cool), but they match up perfectly with the Superbrights Natural LED's which are claimed to be 4500k temp. I thought about trying to swap the LED to a 4100k in the Georges module but have no idea how to solder anything that small.

Nice post and illustration. :thumbup:

I installed George's festoon dome LEDs in the front/rear domes.

I used 2 of the superbrightled WLED-WHP9s for the front maps.

High Power SMD WLED Car 360 degree Bulb specs

I also installed their white WLED-WHPs in each of the door locations.

High Power SMD WLED Car Bulb specs

Vast improvement over stock but as previously noted a warmer white (4-5000 K) is best for the map lights if you actually want to use them for reading something.

A bluer cast to the light throws more glare back at you. I'm going to see if I can find something closer to ~4500K for the maps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom