more lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got a new 62 with an OME 3 inch kit on it. I was wondering what is the best way to go higher to get 35s on it. I was thinking about the 2 inch lift shackles or should I go with add-a-leafs to get the lift. Or something I dont know about.

small body lift, small shakle lift, bump stops.

what does everybody think about the 4 plus body lift from man-a-fre? is there a cheaper or better one out there? Should I go with the SOR lift shackles? couldnt really find any cheaper. thanks for the help just upgraded from the 40 to the 62. Dont know much about the 62 now so i got to learn all over

roger brown made/makes one. do a search on here i think peepers put it on his rig.

Brian

BlueCruiser84 said:
roger brown made/makes one. do a search on here i think peepers put it on his rig.

Brian

Blue is talking about body lifts. You can go that route or you can go with lift shackles as well as the BL.

For the other guy who is lookign at lifts, if you want 4" then go Alcan, no experience yet, but have my springs waiting in the garage as soon as I get my other parts all together.

I went with 1" body lift from Roger Brown.. Nice setup..You can go to 2" without any problems but I think 2" is too much for a body lift. Just make sure you adjust the fan shroud and check your brake lines after doing it.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/ProductLine.shtml

If you go with shackles make sure you throw the right shims in there too. Roger made mine too.

I'll throw in my vote for the Roger Brown Body lift. I know the Tornado Alley Cruisers have a couple of members running the OME / 2" body lift combo with 35's. They seem to like it.

I run 2.5" springs with a 1" BL, and it wasn't enough. I ended up with 2" over stock shackles as well.

hmm what gears are they running with 35's? my main reason for staying 33 was so i didnt have to re-gear (fj62/4.11)

89s rule said:
hmm what gears are they running with 35's? my main reason for staying 33 was so i didnt have to re-gear (fj62/4.11)

Most people I have seen running 35's run 4.88 gears

I plan on running 35s with my 4.56s. They seem a little low for the 33s I have currently.

I did not have the $$ to do a spring lift on my 60 when I started so I went with extended shackles from MAF (the shorter 4+ Anti-inversion ones) and the 1in Roger Brown body lift. Both are great products and that has given me enough room to clear 33s with my stock springs. When its time to do a spring lift I want a straight 3in lift and I think I can easly clear 35s,

BlueCruiser84 said:

Brian

yup, i did... OME springs, schackles and lift and 1" body lift and 34x12's rub at full articulation... hence the suggestion for bumpstops....

thanks, I guess I need to figure out the gearing maybe that would be a good time to throw some lockers in. sounds like if I do it go with rogers systems.

body lifts are/can be bad

I think that if you were to ask this question to any off road mag. or to most other sites they would say to stay away from body lifts or 1" max. Any amount of frame twist puts tons of torque on the body mounts. Body lifts magnify the torque on the bolts and body lift pucks. Bolt shear becomes really scary in the 3" to 4" body lift range. Its huge a liability. Go find some old 4 wheel mags ('80s) and you'll see tall body lifts everywhere and then find some in the mid 90s and you will see that they all learned (some the hard way) that most body lifts are bad news. Now they all warn against them. It's just like lifting old trucks. Blocks are cheap (and somehow still legal) but there are better ways of fitting larger meats.

Ask yourself why you never see body lifts straight from the factory. They just put bushings in and thats it. Just imagine the lawsuits if they did it.... :eek:

Just my $.02 worth

Blue 60

IMHO - sell the springs and put the money toward a SOA. You get 6"s with great flex. You will need to also add a traction bar but, maybe not right away depending on the use of the cruiser. Get the 35s and change you gearing to 4.88's. Since you are already in there, adding a locker makes sense.

Just my 2 cents... I did not do this with mine as its my DD.

I agree with Dtrain, SOA. My 62 is so much better with the SOA, much better flex, 35"s fit under perfectly. I also went with the 4.88's, but I have the h55f. Gearing is exactly what I was looking for, Cruises happily on the highway at 70 mph, doing about 3000 rpm. I have found my fuel consumption has improved as well. Averaging 14 mpg over a weekend trail, 50/50 road/offroad.

I up for the SOA if anybody wants to help me. Seems like a lot of work and will cost more then just some shackles. If there is anybody in the pacific northwest who will help me do it I think I would do it.

dtrain said:
IMHO - sell the springs and put the money toward a SOA. You get 6"s with great flex. You will need to also add a traction bar but, maybe not right away depending on the use of the cruiser. Get the 35s and change you gearing to 4.88's. Since you are already in there, adding a locker makes sense.

Just my 2 cents... I did not do this with mine as its my DD.

You have the Dakar springs?? Also i havent heard of anyone who hated lift springs, but i have heard plenty about SOA that people hated. Again I have never ridden is either, but have 4" alcans waiting to go on. I have 33's b/c I didnt want to re-gear, but if I decide I wanna go bigger tires I can, and if I need a small BL I will do it, I think they are fine up to 2".

89s rule said:
You have the Dakar springs??

Dakkar = OME. Roughly 3"s of lift after install.

Great springs.. not even settled yet and ride really nice.

I got the idea from the owner that they arent the dakar springs but better ones that they make. I dont know if they make other ones or not. If there is someobyd in the pacific northwest that is willing to help do a SOA then I might think about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom