More interior lights in the front? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've made some mods to my interior lighting, including adding an additional dome light at the rear cargo area, changing out all the door lights to LED bulbs, and George's LEDs on all three dome light and the map light. While the lighting in the rear passenger and cargo area are sufficient, I've alway wanted more light in the front seating area, especially in the driver/front footwells.

Another mod that I've considered is to wire the front map/reading light to come on when the front doors open, but it would involve adding in a relay a wire up the a-piller.

Has anyone added more lights to this area? Any good light to use?

I have a small maglight in the center console that works just great. :D Easy installation too!

Brentbba said:
I have a small maglight in the center console that works just great. :D Easy installation too!

i got a nice big maglight right next to the e-brake boot great for extra light and security in sketchy areas ;p

I'm planning a couple of these. Many police departments use them with great success and they have a dimming capabilty and usually come with a red filter.

I like the idea due to easy wiring, and they are very private. By private I mean if my lovely wife wishes to read her "how to make a million dollars with a stupid husband" book, she can without blinding her stupid husband driving.

http://www.streichers.com/Catalog/Products/index.cfm?action=product_detail&product_id=94
ABT-MAP.jpg

Johnny,

I have been giving some serious consideration to one of those as well. Just cant decide where to mount it. Possibly on the side of the tranny cover.? i dont know.

I have been thinking about foot well lighting also, LEDs would be good here also; a string of them just behind the knee panel where you cannot see them should do the trick.

For tying the map into the domes one wire strung between the first dome and the map should do it, no relay required. either will come on when the other does, you could also include the other 2 domes so that they all come on when any other does (would require LEDs or high current could cause problems)

if you want one to come on without the other, or for them to come on In stages, a diode(s) can be added, a diode will drop the voltage to the receiving light(s) but I think that will still be OK with Georges LEDs as I think his controller board is a current regulator, if so it will compensate for the lower voltage without lowering light output. I have been meaning to contact George to confirm, haven’t got to it.

The staging idea is for the later trucks wher ethe domes are door specific. would be that opening the front doors would turn on the map and both domes and cargo (and foot well), opening the rear doors only the aft dome and cargo dome. Opening the rear hatch only the cargo (would require some modification to the rear harness) that way the driver is not blinded when just dropping off passengers, but when the driver gets out full lighting is made.

a lower map light sounds kick ass also, the current map light is to bright for some situations.

When is it that I am going to find time for all this stuff?

Is there an easy way to add door lights to my 92? All it has, when the doors open, is the two dome lights in the middle and rear, nothing in the front other than the reading light. Also, how many :banana: 's does it take to change the domes to George's LEDs?

RavenTai said:
I have been thinking about foot well lighting also

I have this in my truck and it is one of the best mods I have ever done. I constantly drop stuff in the wells at night and wanted something to give a little light. I took two small 8" Fluorescent and put one in each foot well, wired them up with a little switch where the OEM hand throttle would go and let there be light. I got little blue tubes so they are not to bright and if left on for a few minutes don't give off much glare.

I've got a Hella map light mounted to the right side of the center console box. It's like the ones pictured above with the flexible stalk. Great on trips or if you dropped something at night. I put the clip further forward, and it's completely out of the way.

DougM

alkaline747trio said:
Also, how many :banana: 's does it take to change the domes to George's LEDs?

Adding George's LEDs is real easy, folow the directions and maybe <.5 :banana:

adding door lights to a 92? no idea.

This may sound ghetto but why not put white neon tubes underneath the dash? You could have them on a switch with a relay so they are only on when you want them on, but it seems as though they would solve the footwell lighting issue.

Has anyone investigated alternate Lexus/Toyota products? The new RX330 map light/sunroof switch module has a couple of amber LEDs casting a pleasant glow onto the center console. Could this be used in our trucks? I've e-mailed George at TaskLEDs on this, and he says yeah, a couple amber LEDs can be added to his unit, as long as we drill the holes to let the sun shine...

A couple of the above posts have nice ideas for footwell lighting...way to go, ya mudders!

WildYoats said:
I'm planning a couple of these. Many police departments use them with great success and they have a dimming capabilty and usually come with a red filter.

I like the idea due to easy wiring, and they are very private. By private I mean if my lovely wife wishes to read her "how to make a million dollars with a stupid husband" book, she can without blinding her stupid husband driving.

http://www.streichers.com/Catalog/Products/index.cfm?action=product_detail&product_id=94
We use those in our fire engines/truck, they do a good job of lighting for the mapbook while not blinding the driver :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom