More Hole ID help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Before I weld these up, are these just random PO installed holes or are they significant? I already welded necessary holes I had to drill back out. Trying to avoid a repeat. Passenger floor.

Pass floor holes.jpg

My 3/78 truck only has the circled one below, however I see you have a '74 so I can't verify for your year. I checked some diagrams and didn't see plugs for that location. I checked for my truck and it shows the single plug at that location which is 90950-01006

Capture.PNG

I don't know what they are for, but I have the same 2 holes in my 74.

They're probably what the OEMs call "tooling holes". The fixtures that are used to align the various pieces on the offline tooling adjacent to the assembly lines need to be able to orient the separate pieces of assemblies so that the line personnel don't have to measure anything when they're assembling. The individual pieces of assemblies rest on pins on the fixtures so the assembly personnel don't have to hold them individually. The size of the tooling holes is directly related to how much variability the engineers build into the part relationships when they design the assemblies.

If there are plugs available why not use them? Makes less work for you.

They're probably what the OEMs call "tooling holes". The fixtures that are used to align the various pieces on the offline tooling adjacent to the assembly lines need to be able to orient the separate pieces of assemblies so that the line personnel don't have to measure anything when they're assembling. The individual pieces of assemblies rest on pins on the fixtures so the assembly personnel don't have to hold them individually. The size of the tooling holes is directly related to how much variability the engineers build into the part relationships when they design the assemblies.

If there are plugs available why not use them? Makes less work for you.
Thanks a bunch. The info is both interesting and helpful. I'm welding several dozen PO installed holes and maybe 10 or so unnecessary factory holes in the firewall. Tub is completely stripped so, now is the time to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom