More head questions

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by offcamber40, Oct 2, 2003.

1. offcamber40

offcamber40

I recently sent off a low mileage head to be rebuilt.. The one off my 76 fj40 I have been taking apart to look at.. I noticed that the spring heights are not even all the way across, and neither were the valve stem heights.. there were a number of running issues before I pulled the motor, and I was wondering how these may have effected it? The PO said he had dropped a seat and had the head rebuilt.. is this just a bad valve job? I would think that these issues would effect duration and cause timeing problems?

Mike

2. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

They should have been even all the way across. There is a spec for spring installed height. It's 43 mm for the F according to the FSM. The haynes does not specify F to 2F, but it says 43mm as well.

3. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

Per my OEM 2F book free height on valve springs is 51.5mm. Maybe 43mm is the installed height? The OEM specifies a tension of 32.5kG (27kG limit) at the installed height but fails to give the installed height :doh:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.