1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More head questions

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by offcamber40, Oct 2, 2003.

1. offcamber40

offcamber40

I recently sent off a low mileage head to be rebuilt.. The one off my 76 fj40 I have been taking apart to look at.. I noticed that the spring heights are not even all the way across, and neither were the valve stem heights.. there were a number of running issues before I pulled the motor, and I was wondering how these may have effected it? The PO said he had dropped a seat and had the head rebuilt.. is this just a bad valve job? I would think that these issues would effect duration and cause timeing problems?

Mike

2. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

They should have been even all the way across. There is a spec for spring installed height. It's 43 mm for the F according to the FSM. The haynes does not specify F to 2F, but it says 43mm as well.

3. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

Per my OEM 2F book free height on valve springs is 51.5mm. Maybe 43mm is the installed height? The OEM specifies a tension of 32.5kG (27kG limit) at the installed height but fails to give the installed height :doh: