More Distributor Tech - Big Cap 2F Distributor with Pertronix Electronic Ignition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Cruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm in the process of refurbishing and modifying an 8/80 and later big cap 2F distributor for a fellow MUD member's '74 FJ40. He wanted to go with a Pertronix set-up instead of a points set-up like the one I built last year (Distributor Tech - Points Distributor with Shaft Bearing and Weatherproof/Vented Cap - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/distributor-tech-points-distributor-with-shaft-bearing-and-weatherproof-vented-cap.1228894/). @ToyotaMatt's "Skunk Works" mentality continues unabated in my shop. This modification provides several benefits over the typical F/2F Pertronix set-up - a bearing supported shaft and a weatherproof/vented cap. However, it does require the use of an 8/80 and later dented side cover.

This first prototype uses many new Toyota/NipponDenso parts:

- single diaphragm vacuum advancer
- shaft O-ring
- cam
- cam grease plug
- mechanical advance weights with sleeves
- breaker plate
- distributor cap
- distributor cap dust proof packing (O-ring)
- rotor
- wire clip
- miscellaneous hardware

I also replaced the missing mechanical advance stop pin bushing with a new nylon bushing from my local hardware store.

The only original parts remaining are the distributor housing, distributor shaft, distributor gear/pin, shaft bearing, and mechanical advance springs.

This turned out to be a nice, clean set-up.

Here are some in progress photos, without the new NipponDenso advancer:

Chad-1.jpg

Chad-2.jpg

Its Simply Amazing John to watch you break further into new ground and territory , and dive ever deeper into the whole Vintage NipponDenso Ignition Topic in

general . Pushing the limits of and Improving upon WWII era Technology is a Fascinating thing ! :D

Im glad your out there making this Nitch Trade-Craft Happen , folks need help with there BIG CAP 2F Units more and more all the time ..

and your making it happen !

SIMPLY BLISS Brother :)

7142713484435816968_1.png

So using the Pertronix in a FJ60 dissy you won't need the igniter?

So using the Pertronix in a FJ60 dissy you won't need the igniter?

i will take a WAG ..........

and say NO , Alf

all it requires is a Coil with a Internal Resister

@4Cruisers / John can you use a external ballast resister coil Toyota oem on a Pertronix System install ?

Exactly like this one here listed below ?

1626686872826.png

Last edited:
i will take a WAG ..........

and say NO , Alf

all it requires is a Coil with a Internal Resister

@4Cruisers / John can you use a external ballast resister coil Toyota oem on a Pertronix System install ?

Exactly like this one here listed below ?

View attachment 2735169
The Pertronix instructions state the following:

"Many vehicles came equipped with a ballast resistor or resistance wire. To achieve optimum performance we recommend the removal of all external resistance, allowing the coil to receive full running voltage."

The Pertronix instructions state the following:​

"Many vehicles came equipped with a ballast resistor or resistance wire. To achieve optimum performance we recommend the removal of all external resistance, allowing the coil to receive full running voltage."

DR. NipponDenso Speaks ...........:D

ToyotaMatt Listens & Learns ....... :)

db024-denso-290119-082917 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom