More custom rear bumper questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My father has told me that he would be willing to take on a custom rear bumper fab project. He has significant welding skills and experience, as well as equipment, so I think I'll probably take him up on his offer.

I'd like to emulate the Slee bumper. It looks clean, strong, and well designed (it's just waay out of my budget, so I'll see if I can't copy it--hope you don't mind Christo).

I think I've read through every post with the words "rear bumper," and saved a few dozen pics on my computer, but I've got a few questions still.

1. Do you DIYers work from any kind of plan or diagram? Or do you just start cutting and welding? What about mock-up's made of wood?

2. Is there anyone in Salt Lake City who would like to let me take pictures of your SLEE / 4x4labs / Kaymar / TJM / home-made / whaterver bumper while you drink the beer I buy you?

Lot's of great looking stuff out there. I hope I'm not stepping on any toes by trying to copy.

Hayes

I have started on a rear bumper I just looked at some pictures of others and took some measurements on my 80 and came up with something in my head.I am going to leave the center section of the factory bumper on.

To be honest when I build mine I just started with a piece of 3x5 tubing, got it bolted on and started cutting. For the wings, I made templates out of cardboard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom