1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More cooking questions ---Shrimp

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by David Clayton, Aug 27, 2006.

1. David Clayton

David Clayton

My wife got some good sized shrimp from the gulf. I want to grill them, but I have never grilled shrimp with much success. Please post recipies and techniques.

2. jjbodean1970

jjbodean1970

put on skewer, tails on or off, dont matter. sprinkle with spices, and baste with italian dressing when almost done on grill

3. LoveTractor

LoveTractor

Media:
    Albums:
    Olive oil with Old Bay spice. Skewer. 5 minutes(maybe a little more) tops. Shrimp grills fast.

4. Capocaccia

Capocaccia

Paper plate on Hi for 2 minutes. Im 17, this is how I cook everything.

5. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

when I grill shrimp...

I skewer them with a chunk of jalapeno and wrap it all in bacon.

what you'll need...
    bacon,
    jalapeno pepper (optional...well, I don't think it's optional, but I know some can't do jalapenos)
    shrimp (duh!)

bamboo skewer or toothpicks

(that's it...no need for any other seasonings...really :) )

Prep the shrimp:
    - remove shells (I like to pull shell off the tails too).
    - devein the shrimp (if necessary)

Prep the bacon:
    - depending on the size of the shrimp, you'll need either 1/3 of a slice of bacon or 1/2 of a slice of bacon per shrimp.

Prep the jalapenos:
    if you're doing the jalapeno peppers too, you'll need to prep them first. Take a jalapeno and cut it in half, length-wise, so it looks like you have 2 stubby pepper canoes. take each of these halves and cut them into thirds length-wise. This gives you 6 jalapeno "planks" per pepper. I suggest that you remove the seeds and the veins before adding them to the shrimp. I also suggest wearing latex or rubber gloves when handling the peppers...and don't scratch your eyes...or your forehead...or...uh...any body part with jalapeno oil on your hands :eek:

Assembly:
    Take one of these jalapeno planks and put it on top of the shrimp -- if you've deveined your shrimp, it's right where the cut would be (I do recommend deveining your shrimp if it's not already done).

Now...here's the tricky part -- you want to wrap your half (or third) of a slice of bacon around the shrimp and the jalapeno plank, then run a bamboo skewer through everything (or toothpick, if you're going this route).

if your skewers are long enough, you can have 2 or 3 (or more) bacon wrapped shrimp on each skewer.

Grill:
    the doneness of the bacon determine when you're done -- grill these until the bacon is cooked. because you're grilling bacon, there will be flare ups...you must watch these guys as they cook.

I have yet to have ANYONE not go for a second, third or fourth helping of these bacon wrapped shrimp.

:D

6. Rocknroll

Rocknroll

Skewers make it easier to keep them on the grill and turn them, and use whatever seasoning you like. The only REAL secret is not to overcook them. They will get tough if you cook them too long. Keep this in mind and everything else will be fine.

BTW Doug your recipie sounds awesome! I'll be trying that one.

7. greytandy

greytandy

Media:
    Albums:
    X100000. My :princess: is a person chef whose specialty is seafood. The single biggest problem with cooking seafood is overcooking it. If you don't overcook it, everything else will fall into place.

8. srplus

srplus Walked with the Dinosaurs

Always de-vein big shrimp... little shrimp taste better that way, too.

I de-vein all shrimp since I think the stuff tates like SH_T and I do it on the top and bottom with a sharp paring knife... makes a pretty presentation when the shrimp are cooked. Some kind of oil is needed before you put them on grill (or wrap in bacon as Doug suggests). Don't get the flame too high if grilling on gas grill... they are cooked as soon as they smell cooked. Skewers make it easier and fewer fall thru the grill. I like them like a standard Kabob (but I put the veggies in the microwave for a bit so that the peppers and onions are cooked enough by the time the shrimp is... just nuke the veggies in a bowl for a bit and then skewer in order with the shrimp that you like.

A friend of mine has a cast iron grill that he puts in the grill with the top on and some mesquite on the coals... oils the grill up good and plops the shrimp down on it when it is sizzlin'. Closes the top for a few and then opens it back up and filps them... It does not take long. If you are going to have steak and shrimp either be prepared to eat very rare steaks or put them on before the shrimp. Another friend has a stainless steel basket with small mesh he prepares some slop (marinade) that he soaks the shrimp in... then he oils the basket with EVO and puts the shrimp in and heads for the grill... one turn and he is done... opens the basket and he usually dumps them on a salad that his wifey makes with lots of fresh greens. She tosses the salad before the shrimp go on... really easy and tasty.

Over cooked shrimp have the consistency and taste of seafood tires. Oh, run skewer through shrimp in two places unless it is flat cause these babies will just spin on a round skewer and it will be hard to do all of them on two sides.

9. David Clayton

David Clayton

Thanks for the replies

keep em comming

10. hooptie

hooptie

put cilantro on shrimp with a little lime juice and no matter how you cook it , it is good :D

shrimp tacos especially :D

i am getting a little hungry

11. DBAX

DBAX

you don't need anything else. Norcal's got gold in that there recipe. :cheers:

12. Eduardo96FZJ80

Eduardo96FZJ80

Like mentioned before, just make sure you don't over cook. I use the above ingredients, along with a little olive oil and fresh garlic, and grill over mesquite coals.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">