1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More "Can Jeeps be any more craptastic" stuff...

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by FJBen, Jul 18, 2005.

1. FJBen

FJBen

Media:
    Albums:
    Ugh...got a call on saturday PM from a friend...

"Hey man, I'm stuck in Casper, Wyo...(bout 250 miles from me) no clutch."

hmmm...ok...he said he could rent a trailer if I knew of someone with a truck...hmmm...guess I'm going to get him...

Borrow another friends Dodge CTD and take off 5:30 am sunday. Get to casper 9:30...go to rent trailer...

Trashy budget rentral truck girl with 8 2/3 teeth says..."Sorry, we can't rent y'all a trailer if yous gonna be haulin' it behind ya'lls truck. Budget won't let me rentcha one. You hafta use one-a our trucks...but they's all rented out."

Ok...so information that would have been useful YESTERDAY!!!!

No one else is open or willing to help at this point...hmmm...no other towns close have anything... "Just park it" he says, "I'll come back tuesday"

Well I felt bad as it was...so we go to park it, I say lets look at it more. Hop under the H*(P and look for leaking...

"hmmmm...what is this chincy little plastic hose...ugggggh...WTF are you kidding me???" Yes folks we have some serious Trail Rated parts under here. The cheapest crappies little plastic/hard hose you can find running from the master to the slave cylinder... :ban: of course it's RIGHT by the exhaust...

"Crap I say...complete crap..." run to checker parts store, grab compression union fitting...splice line...sorta gets us to limp home...

I guess just looking under there it was just...um..."Cute" :princess: everything little and underbuilt...would it be that hard to use say, hard steel lines...or maybe hydraulic hose???

ok rant off...just lots of time to think driving through Wyoming...

2. swank60

swank60

Hmmm, I had a hydraulic clutch failure not long ago - first gear is a bit of a pain (have to put it in gear and start the engine to get it moving) but I was able to shift without the clutch...pretty easy, really. Synchomesh is really something.

Maybe maybe your buddy just missed you and wanted you to come rescue him? :princess:

3. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

*Bringing first three fingers of left hand to my lips in a mock giggle...*

:grinpimp:

4. Deep South Cruisers

Deep South Cruisers 1978 FJ40 ~ 283 V8

:D I went to rescue a buddy who just got his jeep back from the "shop" he stopped in town to rent a movie and came back out for his first experience in vapor lock technology.

We already had a tow truck on site and I laughed and told him "watch it start now LOL" sure enough, she fired right up ;) seems the shop left off a few vacuum hoses and "tuned" the carb. for him :rolleyes:

5. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

Yeah, I drove my 87 toyota turbo pickup like this for a week once until I had a chance to change the clutch master. I would have told my buddy to man-up and just drive it.

Another related short story... Years ago a friend of mine's family had an 88 or 89 wrangler, carburated 4.2 with a stick. They had trouble with the clutch on it since it was new. One morning his sister gets in it, pumps it a few times, fires it up, the clutch doesn't work, and she floors the thing. Pushed his motorcycle (parked right in front of the jeep) through a wall and into their laundry room. Their parents were not too impressed.

6. gulp3000

gulp3000

Just got back from an Alaskan cruise and we took a "Jeep" tour one day. Closest thing I could find to wheeling. Fun day, we drove through BC and into the Yukon over White Pass and then took a "4x4" road (the 2wd chevy van at the top sorta ruined it for folks who really thought we were wheeling). The Jeep Wrangler I had was a falling apart. All sorts of stuff was broken on it, it drove like S*%$ and had a wide array of rattles and clanks underneath.

I assumed it must be a few years old and the daily abuse of tourists driving them had taken it's toll. Come to find out, it was a 2005 that had been in service for 8 weeks!

This thing looked, sounded and drove 10x worse than my 20 year old Cruiser. The only redeeming quality was the light-weight and peppy little 6 cyl was a good combo.

JUNK!

7. Rugster

Rugster

Seems that the Jeep could be repaired on the spot due to its simplicity.. a quality not found in many vehicles these days... :D