more ARB bumper questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nakman

addict.
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.gamiviti.com
Just installed my new (to me) ARB yesterday.. All went well, though I do have some questions, and thoughts from previous posts on the subject. Curious what others are doing.

1. Air bags: Before I took the plunge, I was sure to ask Mr. Slee about disabling/worrying about the air bags for the install. He said don't worry about it, and he was right they didn't deploy. I did notice a sticker on the ARB that says "do not use with a vechicle equipped with SRS (air bags)" they also had a similar warning in the install directions.
-So I think this counters the idea from last week that the prices are going up because ARB had to buy an 80 series to crash test... from my legal experience, the sticker/warnings are ARB's way of getting off the hook on the air bag deal.
-So what's the deal, will they not deploy as easily now, or will they deploy more easily? Not that I plan on ever using them, but has anyone ever deployed an airbag with an ARB installed? What happened?

2. Marker lights: I hooked mine up to the side marker lights (next to headlights), not the blinkers. I love watching the ARB lights flash when I hit the remote for the alarm. Is that what everyone else is doing, or is anyone running them off the blinkers? Any reasons why to go either way?

3. Air conditioner thingy: So it's true that aluminum canister deal does hang down below the bumper, and it's possible it could be struck with a rock. Is there an easy way to move it up, or twist it? Or has anyone ever smacked that thing with a rock?

bottom line is I love the bumper, and love my cruiser even more now, can't wait to add a winch to that sucker. I look foward to hearing your thoughts, thanks. -tim

a buddy of mine wired up his ARB marker lights to be on when ever the lights are on(like you did) the lens melted :(

sorry no air bag or dangling AC canister on my 80.

I wouldn't worry at all about the air bag going off......it will still go off when needed.

John

From the few air bags I have seen, they were deployed with a spring and ball bearing. The spring held a ball bearing in place which completed a circuit. Under a designed amount of deceleration the spring would be compressed, the ball bearing would no longer complete the circuit and someone would get a bag in the face. When an ARB is installed in the front it changes the dynamics and forces involved in the front crush zone. Hence the warning from ARB. We can't have it both ways.
I have dented my ARB in the AC canister area and dinged the AC canister itself so have made a skid plate to cover it. I posted a picture (I think) in a recent thread. I can't tell as now I just get red X's for the pics.
Bill

Tim,

1. General theory from the group is that the bags *may* deploy at a slightly lower speed with a solid steel bumper like the ARB or the Slee front bumpers. As photoman described, the deployment sensor in your 80 is a decelleration sensor.

2. No comment.

3. My plan is to relocate the dryer when it gets smacked.

-B-

a buddy of mine wired up his ARB marker lights to be on when ever the lights are on(like you did) the lens melted
My ARB lights are wired to the turn signals.

Well I have mine wired so they do both :p The way to keep the lens from melting is change the bulb from the suppled #1156 to a #67 and all well be fine ( over 5 years ago and still going strong) :D
I have wired and done this on both my fj60 and my bj70
works great and cost me $1 in bulbs
The way to do it is wire one wire from the lights to the + of the parking lights and the other wire to the + wire of the turn signal

HTH some

[quote author=Koffer link=board=2;threadid=5547;start=msg43777#msg43777 date=1064257089]
Well I have mine wired so they do both :p The way to keep the lens from melting is change the bulb from the suppled #1156 to a #67 and all well be fine ( over 5 years ago and still going strong) :D
I have wired and done this on both my fj60 and my bj70
works great and cost me $1 in bulbs
The way to do it is wire one wire from the lights to the + of the parking lights and the other wire to the + wire of the turn signal

HTH some

[/quote]

I sware I tried to do that same thing years ago and had no luck...... ???

Success!! Finally had a chance tonight to mess with it, and was able to replicate the 'Koffer configuration'. After a few trials, here's what worked:

-Connected the blue bumper wire to the green wire going into the corner light
-Connected the brown bumper wire to the green wire going into the blinker light. I just used a jumper wire to do this, which is blue in the picture below. The wire coming from the bumper has masking tape on it.

And to answer my own question, (and pad my post count :) ) when the lights are off, both the blinker and the bumper light flash together. When the lights are on, the blinker and bumper light alternate, one on and the other off, kind of disco style. Definitely a :banana: job, took me about 20 minutes a side.

Thanks again Koffer for the idea, it's dark now, time for a victory lap around the block!

Couple of notes on the airbag. This was one of the things I was worried about when I bought our 80, would the airbags pop when we we're off road and bumped a rock or ledge? I talked with one of the guy's in the club that's a Toy Master Tech and he gave me the low down.

The airbag sensor in the 80 is based on decelleration (as has been said). It's located under the center console. It takes a LOT of sudden decelleration to trigger it. He mentioned that they'd seen Camry's that would hit the rear of a truck or semi at highway speeds and the airbags hadn't deployed. I guess they finally figured out that as the Camry submarined under the truck, it provided enough slow decelleration, rather than abrupt, that the airbags wouldn't trip.

Our 80 was t-boned in the driver's front corner by a MB 380SL. My wife was stopped, the car was doing about 40. The car hit the front corner of the ARB, went under the ARB and the truck, and stopped just below the car's windshield. Even this violent hit didn't pop the bags (fortunately). And it just barely dented the side of the ARB bar. My wife no longer complains about ANY of the body protection I want to add to it. Now if I could just find a safety reason for a snorkel . . . . :D

[quote author=FZJFillmore link=board=2;threadid=5547;start=msg45037#msg45037 date=1064546287] Now if I could just find a safety reason for a snorkel . . . . :D
[/quote]

How about insurance...........Suck in some water and hydro-lock it. that would cost about 7 or 8 grand to fix by the time you were done. ;)

Paper shreder?................... :slap:

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=5547;start=msg45094#msg45094 date=1064579340]
My wife found the slip from my ARB bumper and snorkle and hasn't talked much to me in 7 days. I might be getting that slider sooner than I thought ;)
[/quote]

I still get the bumper purchase thrown in my face from time to time ::)

Hey NAKMAN,
Your stock turn signals look clear in that picture? Those aftermarket? I swear mine are orange (rig is at home).

At my house, it's a strict "quid pro quo" system. She got new skis, so I get a bumper. New purse? driving lights. I really want sliders, but fear that's going to mean new carpet. :)

Yeah, yours are orange, I had to even things up when she came home with another pair of shoes.. paid about $40 including shipping from Ebay, see them on there all the time. I was impressed, they actually came with yellow bulbs. hold on a minute.... ok here's a set http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33717&item=2434349147

I've seen those on there before. They look pretty good installed. They good quality? You like them?

The corners be clear too ;)

Purty soon my turns will be replaced by air scoops.......... :D

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=5547;start=msg45221#msg45221 date=1064606143]
The corners be clear too ;)

Purty soon my turns will be replaced by air scoops.......... :D
[/quote]

Air scoops? Really? COOL! Like to see that when your done. You making them?

Yup.

I plan to use the lamp bodies and fab up a hookup on the back for hoses. I'll cut holes in the core support for the hoses to pass into the engine compartment. One will cool the water/methanol injection pump and the other will cool the intake manifold. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom