More 62 tcase ponderings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Flipping through my FSM, it looks like you don't have to remove OR break down the tcase to remove the vacuum diaphram assembly and access the 4WD/2WD shift linkage. At least, that's the way it looks in the illustrations. Can anyone who's rebuilt a 62's give me a definite yay or nay on this? If I can get to the shift linkage without removing the tcase, I'll just bypass my manual vacuum valve idea and fab up a second shifter for 4/2WD.

Spook50 said:
Flipping through my FSM, it looks like you don't have to remove OR break down the tcase to remove the vacuum diaphram assembly and access the 4WD/2WD shift linkage. At least, that's the way it looks in the illustrations. Can anyone who's rebuilt a 62's give me a definite yay or nay on this? If I can get to the shift linkage without removing the tcase, I'll just bypass my manual vacuum valve idea and fab up a second shifter for 4/2WD.

Yes, you can remove vacuum diapharam without removing or disassembleing t-case.
Remove four 12mm bolt which holds vacuum diapharam body to braket and after removing vacuum diapharam body, remove four 12mm bolt again then you can remove braket and access to shaft itselt but you can't pull out shaft completely without disaassembling of t-case.
Be sure that you must drain t-case oil first. Manual shift t-case has oil seal around 4wd engage shaft but vacuum shift t-case(ELC) has not.
I finished my 62's t-case overhaul at Nov04 that if you want further information, inform me anytime.

Oh, Min Seok

DSCF2195.jpg

DSCF2193.jpg

DSCF2209.jpg

Last edited:
schaats said:
Yes, you can remove vacuum diapharam without removing or disassembleing t-case.
Remove four 12mm bolt which holds vacuum diapharam body to braket and after removing vacuum diapharam body, remove four 12mm bolt again then you can remove braket and access to shaft itselt but you can't pull out shaft completely without disaassembling of t-case.
Be sure that you must drain t-case oil first. Manual shift t-case has oil seal around 4wd engage shaft but vacuum shift t-case(ELC) has not.
I finished my 62's t-case overhaul at Nov04 that if you want further information, inform me anytime.

Oh, Min Seok

Will it be necessary to remove the shaft in order to convert the mechanism to a manual shift?

Spook50 said:
Will it be necessary to remove the shaft in order to convert the mechanism to a manual shift?

Absolutely, if you want to have a factory type of shift detents. Radd Cruisers has tried to put some sort of detent mechanism in his without changing the shaft. PM him or maybe he'll reply here.

Dave

Spook50 said:

If you want to change shift mechanism using with FJ60's mechanical shift mechanism parts, you must remove shaft also.
They use different shaft. Here's P/N
Shaft for ELC :36313-60070
Shaft for Mechanical shift : 36311-60050
In ELC, shaft is combines with fork by a bolt (You can see in attached picture above), but in mechanical shift, shaft is combines by pin.
You can see difference in attached picture.
Left is mechanical shift, right is ELC.

Oh, min Seok

t-case.jpg

Any idea on prices for these parts new? All you need to do is order the shaft, rubber boot, and linkage, or are there other parts involved?
Somebody mentioned an oil seal.....

rutbeer said:
Any idea on prices for these parts new? All you need to do is order the shaft, rubber boot, and linkage, or are there other parts involved?
Somebody mentioned an oil seal.....

Go to www.discounttoyotaparts.com and enter the P/N. Good resource for approx discounted OEM prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom