Monticello Canyon Trail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

i will be driving from texas in May and was wonderinf if the trail is still open to public? do i need a permit to go on it?

any other trails around that area worth driving through
i am a NOOB to off roading..2000 LC

Hi,

i will be driving from texas in May and was wonderinf if the trail is still open to public? do i need a permit to go on it?

any other trails around that area worth driving through
i am a NOOB to off roading..2000 LC

Please join Friends of Monticello Box on FB to get the latest info. Here's a cut/paste:

Tom Stroup Part of what Candice and Candy say is true. After deciding that what we uncovered during depositions and discovery, Dan, myself and our attorneys determined there was probably not enough to change the judge's mind and as we were already about $6,000.00 in arrears to the attorneys and probably another $8-10,000 just to get to the hearing and with Dan and I on the hook for all of it, we made a very hard decision to take what we had and settle. Even though you can not go all the way through the canyon from Monticello, you can go about 6 miles to and through State Land section 36 where you encounter a locked gate. You can also enter the canyon off of State road 52 north of Winston. However this entrance requirs a State Land Office Recreational Permit that you pruchase frome the State Land Office Website or from their office in Santa fe. This entrance goes through a locked gate which the SLO will give you the combination, call for the combination before you go as it changes regularly. This entrance takes you through the narrow part of the Box (the prettiest) and on to SLO section32. You may stop, picnic, hike there but not on private land near the springs. After over a year and a half of battle this was a bitter-sweet end but we did preserve some of the canyon for public viewing and enjoyment. Please respect the private property and keep the canyon clean,so we can keep it open.

New Mexico is becoming more and more like Texas.

Anyone have an update on Monticello Box? I just got a state land recreational permit for the first time, and it specifically says no access to Monticello Box. So I requested to join the Friends of Monticello Box group on FB, but haven't heard back. I drove Monticello Box several years ago before it was all closed up, it was so pretty and was hoping to go back on the state land.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom