Builds Montana 65 FJ45LV "Tin Zen" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That’s what I figured, just a guess at that strap’s purpose. But the screw and washer don’t look very original anyhow. Can‘t tell if strap is canvass or rubber either.

Looks like she ran awhile with some loose lug nuts on the front driver side. Definitely spent plenty of time in 4WD.
Found plenty of dirt packed in the frame rails, luckily all of it bone dry.
20211012_152918.jpg
20211012_160127.jpg

Gave a few hours to cleaning out frame rails last night. With a chisel point scraper and a shop-vac I was able to get about 1/3 of one rail done. Mostly had to re-pulzerize the cake into dust and suck it out. Got a couple big chunks out, if only those sediment layers could speak.
20211013_202022.jpg
20211013_191950.jpg
20211013_193810.jpg
20211013_201449.jpg
20211013_201000.jpg

Frame rails cleaned out. Pulled the fuel tank drain plug expecting water to come out since it came without a gas cap but it was bone dry as well. Poured a gallon of gas in there and watched it drain, looked clear. Started lightly scraping the loose and hanging factory undercoating. Most places that the undercoating came off, it took the paint with it leaving shiny metal.
20211016_183226.jpg

I found some of the same shiny metal hiding beneath the undercoating of my LV, right next to the massive gaping holes of rust, I have to say that good old fashion undercoating is pretty effective at protecting metal.

@JLawson - let’s face it. The @Mtntopper LV is wayyyy better than most found these days.

I found some of the same shiny metal hiding beneath the undercoating of my LV, right next to the massive gaping holes of rust, I have to say that good old fashion undercoating is pretty effective at protecting metal.

@JLawson - let’s face it. The @Mtntopper LV is wayyyy better than most found these days.
There is definitely some gaping holes near that shiny sheetmetal. I guess the undercoating must have softened the paint for it to come off like that? I'm scraping and vacuuming as much of the loose stuff as possible then I'll be giving her underside some Fluid Film love. That stuff wipes off easily enough and will preserve things while I'm collecting her pieces.
It's pretty surprising how many open steel channels there are under that body. This thing was holding dried mud everywhere, it's own design is a huge contributor to its demise.
20211013_200723.jpg

You are 100% correct about the 1960's design causing corrosion problems.

Every floor cross member is a big mud holder. The floor corrugations create the entry points for water and mud at the top of each cross member and the lack of drain holes makes them hold dirt, salt and debris. It worse as you work toward the rear of the vehicle. The rear door openings at the wheel well also are a classic mud collector. Resulting rot shown below. (my LV had just a bit more cancer than yours :frown:)

Driver rear sill 2.JPG
Driver rear sill 4.JPG

If you still have a warm day up in the mountains just hit the underside with a pressure washer and clean as much dirt off the as possible. Let it dry then coat with something for protection. It seems harsh, but I wish I would have power washed the heck out of my LV on day 1.

I've never named a car before, but I kind of like this one: Daktri. Somebody can certainly educate me on this, but my research indicates that it's a Hindu word that means to treat, heal and prevent injury and disease. Synonymous with the word Doctor. Expired in 2000.
20211019_174445.jpg

Mine was a little more obvious as dumpie had a dump bed!! But it was definitely HIS name!!! It certainly has a nice meaning!, although most LV’s cause mental pain, injury, and rusty metal infection’s !!!😜

4994A54E-76BC-4585-90F3-D8325A8B223A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom