Monstaliner no more. So…

musthave

😂
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
So, I took the time to measure it, minimum is 29.4 mil, maximum is 31.7 mil. A little bit thinner than I figured it was. I'm satisfied.

@A2ShedsJackson Yea, just when I thought I knew a tiny bit about UV and epoxy paints. That first read was very educational. It never ceases to amaze me when I post something on Mud that responses like yours and people like @BILT4ME work with these things all the time and have such vast experience. Oh meee of little knowledge.

I think with the 2 standard paint coats that I used, and the 2 clear coats, I should be adequately protected from UV. I sure hope so.

LINUS

Waiting for the Great Pumpkin
I initially thought you were going back to autobody paint, but only B/C the fade issue made me a non-fan of Monstalinering a whole body.

Your finished product looks great & like the almost DD color-match (easily a top 5 fav color).

Does anybody know if the “ Raptor Liner “ -does the UV fade? -I’d heard ‘no’ but only spoke/seen 1st hand a 40 that had it in the rear interior.

I’m thinking of spraying the bow, motor cover & transom deck of the boat.

Also the Tundra bed.

musthave

😂
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
I initially thought you were going back to autobody paint, but only B/C the fade issue made me a non-fan of Monstalinering a whole body.

Your finished product looks great & like the almost DD color-match (easily a top 5 fav color).

Does anybody know if the “ Raptor Liner “ -does the UV fade? -I’d heard ‘no’ but only spoke/seen 1st hand a 40 that had it in the rear interior.

I’m thinking of spraying the bow, motor cover & transom deck of the boat.

Also the Tundra bed.
I gave strong consideration to going back to autobody paint. When I originally did the monstaliner, I didn't prep it good enough and it peeled some. It did fade a bit too. So, I was on the fence, autobody paint or monstaliner.

This vehicle was our "west coast cruiser" for several years, lots of memories. Once the maintenance is done it will either head back out west, or head north to Maine, then Iceland for a year or two, then to Norway and beyond. Can't make up my mind on which way to go. So, with that in mind, I figured I wanted something durable, good looking, and that would prevent rust creeping in, etc. I was set to go to monstaliner, until I found out the bad news.

Thank you for the compliment, it means a lot. Desert Dune is absolutely my favorite color. Keeps cool in the sun.

My experience with Raptor liner is that it fades in 3 years. I suppose you could do raptor liner, then a good paint with a good clear if you were going for the textured surface look. I considered raptor liner, dura liner, and a few others but settled on Macropoxy 646. Glad I did.

On a boat, I think spraying the bow, motor cover & transom along with the deck would yield excellent results. The macropoxy 646 holds up well to the elements. Others know much more than I do, but after my 20 hours or so of internet research I felt that 646 gave the best possible outcomes longterm. YMMV :)

Bludozer

SILVER Star
I gave strong consideration to going back to autobody paint. When I originally did the monstaliner, I didn't prep it good enough and it peeled some. It did fade a bit too. So, I was on the fence, autobody paint or monstaliner.

This vehicle was our "west coast cruiser" for several years, lots of memories. Once the maintenance is done it will either head back out west, or head north to Maine, then Iceland for a year or two, then to Norway and beyond. Can't make up my mind on which way to go. So, with that in mind, I figured I wanted something durable, good looking, and that would prevent rust creeping in, etc. I was set to go to monstaliner, until I found out the bad news.

Thank you for the compliment, it means a lot. Desert Dune is absolutely my favorite color. Keeps cool in the sun.

My experience with Raptor liner is that it fades in 3 years. I suppose you could do raptor liner, then a good paint with a good clear if you were going for the textured surface look. I considered raptor liner, dura liner, and a few others but settled on Macropoxy 646. Glad I did.

On a boat, I think spraying the bow, motor cover & transom along with the deck would yield excellent results. The macropoxy 646 holds up well to the elements. Others know much more than I do, but after my 20 hours or so of internet research I felt that 646 gave the best possible outcomes longterm. YMMV :)
I love Desert Dune too. Much more interesting than the regular white paint everyone fawns over. I can't say I like the two-tone versions quite as much, but the full DD cruisers are some of my favorite. Really a nice job "matching" it.

musthave

😂
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
I love Desert Dune too. Much more interesting than the regular white paint everyone fawns over. I can't say I like the two-tone versions quite as much, but the full DD cruisers are some of my favorite. Really a nice job "matching" it.
Thank you, I think the match came out really good. The white monstaliner that I had was so white, it kept cool, but it was just so bright to look at. I much prefer desert dune and like you, most of the cruisers that I build I repaint a single color of desert dune. The two tone looks better than white, but a solid color is what I'm always after.

LINUS

+1

I get white is super functional in heat & single-stage simple, but white is just so “company leased fleet vehicle” -to me.
Just no character IMO - so since you & @Bludozer both have 97’s - was that a tan interior or were they grey/blue?

I’m 3x the fan of the 2-tone desert dunes than the sage 40th’s that I had / everybody is crazy over, personal preference :meh:

musthave

😂
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
+1

I get white is super functional in heat & single-stage simple, but white is just so “company leased fleet vehicle” -to me.
Just no character IMO - so since you & @Bludozer both have 97’s - was that a tan interior or were they grey/blue?

I’m 3x the fan of the 2-tone desert dunes than the sage 40th’s that I had / everybody is crazy over, personal preference :meh:
I've had 3 white cruisers, they were all repainted Desert Dune. Agree, they have no character.

This vehicle was originally green with grey interior.

The 40th sage does nothing for me. A CE, Desert Dune, Locked is a rare find. My personal favorite.

LINUS

I've had 3 white cruisers, they were all repainted Desert Dune. Agree, they have no character.

This vehicle was originally green with grey interior.

The 40th sage does nothing for me. A CE, Desert Dune, Locked is a rare find. My personal favorite.
Sage is the same color as Bronzit in BMW E30 body world - it gets dogged on like a burgundy 80 :hillbilly:

Both are the least desired color of each.

I walked out to my sage 40th (locked & cheap, bone stock, Slee HG job) a few mo after buying & realized “OMG, I bought a Bronzit 80!”

I only had it about another ~6mo.

Raptor Liner appears to be a urethane. Urethane's don't suffer as much from UV as epoxies.
Pigments also block UV. Some pigments fade more than others. The more expensive paints and clearcoats tend to use pigments with lower fade and also add more UV blockers.

A good clear over an epoxy or urethane will add to its durability but with added cost. You would want to clear over a liner after the solvent has flashed off but before it has fully crosslinked or cured.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom