Monache meadows sept 19 or 26 (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quite true, although they don't say who does the rating nor what it means (nothing).

Quite true, although they don't say who does the rating nor what it means (nothing).

Marketing think tank term no doubt!

146.460?

remind me again what the ranger station and road are, pls. I can visualize it but my notes are buried someplace.

Somebody is bringing a chainsaw then, right? New trailer not quite ready yet so not sure I'll have much space to spare. Tempted to bring a gen and blender, though... :D

Sadly, not a 100% sure thing yet I can make it, the :princess: not happy with the idea, something about kids... :confused: negotiations under way... :)

Not sure if this will work or not:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa...&t=m&z=10&vpsrc=1&iwloc=000473442b551ea165655

Brent is planning on bringing a chainsaw, but unless the fire restrictions are lifted, the only thing that could be done with a chainsaw is to make some more furniture.

I don't know that we really need a generator and blender. A generator and a heater might be nice if fires are not allowed though :).

Not sure if this will work or not:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa...&t=m&z=10&vpsrc=1&iwloc=000473442b551ea165655

Brent is planning on bringing a chainsaw, but unless the fire restrictions are lifted, the only thing that could be done with a chainsaw is to make some more furniture.

I don't know that we really need a generator and blender. A generator and a heater might be nice if fires are not allowed though :).

yup, that works. I'm not seeing the ranger station though, what's it called again? So you want to get the sites at the very end of the road eh?

OK, I'll leave the chainsaw home then. We'll let Brent have a go at downed trees, he likes that.

Heater eh? You had to remind me of how cold it is up there... Man.... Mmmm.... electric heater in my tent would be OK. Don't get any ideas though, guys, I only take in lost pretty redhead (or blonde if I must) girls in my tent while camping... :D

IIRC when I tried last time I think I was able to raise you guys on 2m at the river from all the way to the Ranger Station or close. Don't remember exactly but it was some ways I think. 146.

The Ranger station is called Blackrock.

Yes, the end of the river campsites is what we prefer, but if it is taken, we will find another place, hopefully nearby.

You could bring the chainsaw, if the fire restrictions are lifted, just to see how it works up there. If there is a down tree, then it would be useful to make everything go faster, unlike the last time that happened.

The freq. used is 146.460

I am sure that you don't have any worries about anyone visiting your tent, unless someone gets the idea to leave food for a bear to visit, but you might have a 50/50 chance of it being female and some bears are close to being a redhead :).

I don't like bears. Well, actually, I don't like to have to deal with bears as in hiding all the food, the extra cleaning etc... Dang things....

is there a repeater that covers that area?

As far as I know, there is no repeater in that area.

It might be possible to reach a repeater as there are some down in the Ridgecrest area, but you would need to use high power and have a good antenna and the location would make a difference.

thanks
doesn't sound too likely to reach a repeater at a lower elevation unfortunately.
On another topic, anybody knows the rules about firearm possession in the Sequoia NF? Didn't see anything on their web site.

Sorry to Muddy up such a nice thread but Eric asked?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Can I possess/carry my handgun/rifle/shotgun openly/loaded/concealed/otherwise when I am hiking/camping/hunting/other in the forest/park/campground/wilderness in California?"

First, it is very important to understand that there are many different types of "forests" and "parks" and they are all run by different government agencies with different restrictions.

Here is a list of the most common types of parks, forests, and public lands, and their respective firearms restrictions:

- National Parks, Federal, National Park Service, US Department of the Interior - firearms now permitted but CA state law applies - see *1
- National Forests, Federal, US Forest Service, US Department of Agriculture - firearms and shooting welcomed but CA state law applies - see *2
- BLM Land, Federal, Bureau of Land Management, US Department of the Interior - firearms and shooting permitted but CA state law applies - see *2
- State Parks, State, California Department of Parks and Recreation - firearms prohibited - see *3
- Regional Parks, some are county owned (example), some are city owned - firearms often prohibited per local ordinance findlaw.com municode.com

*1 - The firearms prohibition in NPs and NWRs was lifted on 2/22/10. See the "Important Notes" about HR 267 in the second post for more details.

*1 - UOC of handguns is not legal in NPs effective 1/1/12 as a result of AB144 (PC 26350)
*1 - UOC of long guns is legal, except in federal facilities (buildings with federal employees and no-firearms signs posted)
*1 - LOC, UOC, UCC, and LCC are all legal in one's campsite. (PC 26055, 26383, & 25605)
*1 - Since NPs can be near/within urban areas, school zones can be an issue. Unlocked/operable firearms are not allowed within 1000 feet of a K-12 school.
*1 - CA CCW/LTC permit holders may LCC anywhere in NPs except in federal facilities.

*2 - LOC and UOC are legal everywhere except "prohibited areas" (areas where shooting is prohibited)
*2 - LOC, UOC, UCC, and LCC are all legal in one's campsite. (PC 26055, 26383, & 25605)
*2 - Shooting is prohibited within 150 yards of any residence, building, campsite, or developed site, or on/across a road or body of water ("prohibited areas")
*2 - consensus opinion is that UOC of handguns is now illegal in "prohibited areas" of NF/BLM (AB144 / PC 26350) not all agree (PC 26388)
*2 - Forest administrators have the authority to prohibit shooting in other areas of the NF but must clearly post this information (more "prohibited areas")
*2 - BLM administrators may post closures and restrictions regarding firearms use (more "prohibited areas")
*2 - LCC is legal for licensed hunters/fishermen, while hunting/fishing, but only where shooting is not prohibited (PC 25640)
*2 - UCC is legal for licensed hunters/fishermen while hunting/fishing and while traveling to/from hunting/fishing expeditions (PC 25640)
*2 - UOC is legal for licensed hunters while hunting and while traveling to/from hunting expeditions (PC 26366)
*2 - CA CCW/LTC permit holders may LCC in NF/BLM

*3 - firearms permitted in vehicles and temporary lodgings when unloaded and "packed, cased or stored in a manner that will prevent their ready use"
*3 - CA CCW/LTC permit holders may apparently LCC firearms in California State Parks

Acronyms used in this thread:

UOC - Unloaded Open Carry
LOC - loaded open carry
UCC - unloaded concealed carry
LCC - loaded concealed carry
LUCC - locked unloaded concealed carry (also called LCC in another thread which will cause confusion)

Additional types of public lands:

- Wilderness Areas, Federal, within or part of a National Park - firearms now permitted but CA state law applies *1
- Wilderness Areas, Federal, within or part of a National Forest - shooting and/or possession may be prohibited, check with local ranger station
- National Monuments, Federal, various agencies but usually the NPS - firearms now permitted but CA state law applies *1
- National Wildlife Refuges, Federal, US Fish and Wildlife Service, US Department of the Interior - firearms now permitted but CA state law applies *1
- US Army Corp of Engineers Recreation Areas (SF, Sac, LA) - firearms generally prohibited except for limited hunting activities
- DFG Wildlife Areas and Reserves, State, California Department of Fish & Game - firearms restrictions vary (usually very prohibitive)
- Demonstration State Forests, State, California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CDF / CAL Fire) - firearms permitted, some restrictions - (details)
- PG&E Recreation Areas - no official restrictions, generally the same as neighboring federal lands, state laws apply (details)
- Private lands and privately owned campgrounds - firearms either permitted or restricted by the owner
- Open Space Districts (a form of CA Special District) - unknown, TBD
- Land Trusts - unknown, TBD

This thread's focus is on parks/forests/campgrounds/etc. in California. Not all of the specifics and subtleties of carry, loaded, and transport laws are covered here. So,

- For specifics about transporting firearms, see the CGF wiki page on transporting
- For details about the definitions of loaded, see Defining loaded in California.

The first three posts in this thread will be continually updated for accuracy.

If you ever suffer any harassment while legally using firearms or receive incorrect legal information from any Federal or State LEO, please report it using the form posted here.

A printer friendly version of this post is available here.

Additional PDF documents that may be useful to carry with you are linked here.

There is now a shortened URL for this thread: tinyurl.com/fifap

Shooting sports activities have been enjoyed for generations and are welcomed on National Forest System lands.

Both state and federal laws apply on National Forest System lands, so you also need to check on the state laws and county ordinances which may apply to the area you will be visiting.

You also need to be in compliance with any general federal laws and regulations about weapons (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), etc). The National Rifle Association of America (NRA) and many commercial publications provide this information.

The only regulations specific to use of weapons imposed by the Forest Service is that you cannot discharge a weapon within 150 yards of any structure/development or occupied area, within or into a cave, across or on a road or body of water, or in any manner that endangers a person. You also cannot use any tracer or incendiary ammunition. Forest Service regulations require that you also comply with all State laws regarding the use of firearms while hunting.

If you are planning on visiting a designated Wilderness Area, the Regional Forester or Forest Supervisor has the option to implement a special local order which additionally prohibits the mere possession of a firearm within that Wilderness Area. Although this prohibition is not common, you should contact the Forest Supervisor's office to find out whether such a restriction has been imposed.

We encourage you to use designated shooting areas or ranges. However, if you choose to shoot in an undesignated area, please ensure that your shooting does not damage any facilities or natural resources, disrupt other uses, or endanger public safety, and ensure you remove any targets, wads, shells, brass and other refuse with you when you leave. Be sure your shooting target area is free of rocks, as wildfires have resulting from sparks from ricochets. Be responsible for your action and follow outdoor ethics, in other words always, Leave No Trace and Tread Lightly! on federal lands.

It is also a good idea regardless, just to contact the local Forest Service District or Forest Offices in advance of your visit to ask the same question, as they are more aware of local ranges and other opportunities, local orders or restrictions, issues and special conditions that may affect you.
thanks
doesn't sound too likely to reach a repeater at a lower elevation unfortunately.
On another topic, anybody knows the rules about firearm possession in the Sequoia NF? Didn't see anything on their web site.

Last edited:
thanks, what source is this?

sounds like open carry is OK and concealed carry only at campsite.

and still no campfire eh?

...and I prefer not to be around guns. Please leave it at home, or let me know you intend to bring it and I'll stay at home or go to the desert. Yes, I feel that strongly about it. Nuf said.

Last edited:
Here you go Eric.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457

http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/trails/welcome.shtml

thanks, what source is this?

sounds like open carry is OK and concealed carry only at campsite.

and still no campfire eh?

Really Brent I had no idea? I think you may have been around guns on many of the trips you have been on but were just unaware of the fact the guys had them present and there was no reason to show them off. Anyhow this is the wrong thread for this discussion so we'll have to pick this up around the fire at SnT. :)

...and I prefer not to be around guns. Please leave it at home, or let me know you intend to bring it and I'll stay at home or go to the desert. Yes, I feel that strongly about it. Nuf said.

For anyone who is planning on going, please let me know that you plan to go and when you are planning on arriving. Also let me know if you have a Ham radio or a CB, so that we can listen for you (assuming that you get there after us).

FYI, the fire restrictions will be lifted starting tomorrow, Friday, 14-Sep-2012.

You can't get angry at people in the wilderness having guns that are safely packed away in their luggage / vehicles. Now, if the guy is creating a dangerous situation bringing guns out when unecessary and using them unsafely that is another matter.

I for one always bring my springfield xd on family trips and into the wilderness. However it is never taken out or "played" with. It is not a toy.

Noah

Arrived home around 6:45 this evening. Nice relaxing trip. Destroyed the remainder of the tree that blocked our path to the last river campsite with my chainsaw this time around. Split a lot of it and that made for a couple of nice campfires Friday and Saturday evening.

Got home and the wife said it had hit 104 here in Laguna Niguel over the weekend. Darn glad we were in Monache Meadows where it was beautiful and temps made for some great sleeping by the Kern River!

See the previous pictures, it is all the same :).

I did take some pictures of the furniture.

Unfortunately the log seat at the campsite is gone. I don't know if it was burned, stolen or moved.

See the previous pictures, it is all the same :).
I did take some pictures of the furniture.

Unfortunately the log seat at the campsite is gone. I don't know if it was burned, stolen or moved.

"See the previous pictures, it is all the same :)."

LMAO...lazy bastards. :meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom