Moly grease color (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It’s time to rebuild the front axle again. For the last 20 years I’ve been using black moly ep grease. While looking at the store I ran into the grey one.
Anyone know the difference?

78DECA59-AA47-4472-8BA1-8CFFF11E9B56.jpeg

I had the same question with the Valvoline grey versus black. Valvoline seems to only show the grey on their website now, but I did manage to find the black at a local parts store. It might have been NOS (new old stock). I was thinking maybe the black had more molybdenum disulfide, but that was just a guess based on the color. It does seem like the grey is what they sell now, marketed for the same uses as the black.

Valvoline Palladium, comes in a 3% (NAPA stores) and a 5% moly version (hard to find, try Summit Racing).

Interesting. That seems similar to the information I had found before. In that chart though, they only have a part number listed for 3% NLGI #2 in the 14oz carton. The next smallest size is a 35 lb bucket.

The 5% Moly Valvoline Palladium is hard to find, Summit Racing could get get it for you but strangely it's very expensive from them. You might have luck contacting your local Valvoline distributor (do a search), but you may have to order 50 14oz tubes of it.

I used the Valvoline Multi grey in my 80 which was my 1st birf job, and then turned around and used the 3% Palladium in my 40 a couple of months later. No real reason other than maybe be becoming a little better educated on the subject. I'm not losing sleep over either choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom