Molle or Adams for professional help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BigRiggs

SILVER Star
Threads
I live near Adams but my thinking is the guys over at Molle have probably worked on more Land Cruisers. Basically I'm asking if you have opinions on mechanics at either location.
I usually do things myself but I need professional help. My 07 100 dies either because of EVAP issues or catalytic converter heat next to the fuel lines. Doesn't ever cause a CEL, it acts just like vapor lock, there are many threads about it but nothing conclusive. I did the heat shield between the cat and fuel lines last summer, but just got back from Colorado and had the same issue multiple times. Every time it has happened we were pulling a trailer and temperatures were 80-95 degrees, 3-4 times at high altitudes, 2 times when we got home to back the camper in and once at sea level (Disney World last summer).
I did the heat shield first because it made sense and was a cheap and simple first step. Several guys have replaced most of the expensive parts of the evap and fuel system and still have problems, so I'm hoping for a pro.
Thank you

That’s and endless possible issue. Have you cleaned the MAF? Clean the throttle body? My next would be crank position sensor. All low cost looks. Without a CEL no one will be able to do much. Anyone would be guessing and throwing parts at it. Check battery and grounds. Heat causes some odd corrosion issues and high resistance in circuits.

So cools down and restarts like nothing happened?

One of the best deals I've ever gotten on an 80 series was because the mechanics at Molle told the PO the motor was locked up and needed completely replaced to the tune of $7k. He just wanted to wash his hands of the deal so I paid the man, drove the rig out where the tow truck could get it, and had it delivered to my house. Since the radiator was completely fouled I replaced it with a good condition used one, fixed the leaky front seals, then sold it to a member from Oklahoma who is probably still enjoying it to this day.

The moral of the story is the motor was just fine. I was a bit skeptical being that an actual Toyota mechanic said it was shot, but what I was seeing wasn't adding up to what they were saying, so I took a gamble. You might as well just roll a 12 sided die to see what your going to get anytime you take your rig to a dealer, especially if it's not a blatantly obvious fix.

Why not try wrapping your fuel line in reflective tape like they sell at the parts store? That will at least rule that one out.

That’s and endless possible issue. Have you cleaned the MAF? Clean the throttle body? My next would be crank position sensor. All low cost looks. Without a CEL no one will be able to do much. Anyone would be guessing and throwing parts at it. Check battery and grounds. Heat causes some odd corrosion issues and high resistance in circuits.
I have not cleaned those yet or checked the crank sensor in the 3 years I've owned it so I will. And yep, it cools down in 5-15 minutes and runs like normal.

One of the best deals I've ever gotten on an 80 series was because the mechanics at Molle told the PO the motor was locked up and needed completely replaced to the tune of $7k. He just wanted to wash his hands of the deal so I paid the man, drove the rig out where the tow truck could get it, and had it delivered to my house. Since the radiator was completely fouled I replaced it with a good condition used one, fixed the leaky front seals, then sold it to a member from Oklahoma who is probably still enjoying it to this day.

The moral of the story is the motor was just fine. I was a bit skeptical being that an actual Toyota mechanic said it was shot, but what I was seeing wasn't adding up to what they were saying, so I took a gamble. You might as well just roll a 12 sided die to see what your going to get anytime you take your rig to a dealer, especially if it's not a blatantly obvious fix.

Why not try wrapping your fuel line in reflective tape like they sell at the parts store? That will at least rule that one out.
When I made the heat shield between the CAT and fuel lines I wrapped them too. It didn't do the trick

@4wheelfever if you wrapped the lines in heat resistant tape and installed a shield then it's probably safe to rule those out and move on. As was mentioned above if there isn't a check engine light the kids at the dealership probably won't be a lot of help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom