Mojave Road Campsites for planned trip Feb 27 - March 1 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am desperately trying to plan a trip Feb 27 - March 1... It is still tentative, but if anyone would like to join, please feel free to let me know. Right now it appears to be myself, 2 jeep buddies and a buddy with a built Rover. That said, i am hoping for some campsite suggestions. Any help would be appreciated!

I am desperately trying to plan a trip Feb 27 - March 1... It is still tentative, but if anyone would like to join, please feel free to let me know. Right now it appears to be myself, 2 jeep buddies and a buddy with a built Rover. That said, i am hoping for some campsite suggestions. Any help would be appreciated!

I hope you really plan this trip thoroughly not desperately. You can get lost and there are sections where there will be no one around for miles and miles to come help.

You can camp anywhere within the Preserve as long as you stay out of site of the main roads. You must use existing fire rings or bring your own container.

Are you camping the night before you leave, staying in a hotel in Laughlin or driving in the same day?

Are you doing a 2 or 3 day run?

Are you sticking to the Mojave Road only?

Either way Beale Mt. is a regular stop for many. It located on the fringe of Mojave Trail just east of Marl Springs 6.14 miles NW of Kelso Cima Road. I can give you coordinates for it. Because of the small size and shape of the mountain you can move around it depending on conditions and hide from just about any wind angle.

Caruthers Canyon is off the trail but very scenic.

There are some cool over look sites off Aiken Mine road up on the side of several cinder cones, very desolate but insane views.

17 mile point is another regular stop and is 1.8 miles past the intersection of Kelbaker and the Mojave Road (AKA Old Government Road and sometimes Cedar road)

You can pretty much camp where you feel like it and not worry about anything. A few days ago I saw a couple camped out in the corral next to Aiken Mine Road, I guess they felt safe inside it? :)

I can email you a list of GPS coordinates. I also have a really good KMZ file for Google Earth and a GPX file for your GPS.

Let me know.

I hope you really plan this trip thoroughly not desperately. You can get lost and there are sections where there will be no one around for miles and miles to come help.

You can camp anywhere within the Preserve as long as you stay out of site of the main roads. You must use existing fire rings or bring your own container.

Are you camping the night before you leave, staying in a hotel in Laughlin or driving in the same day?

Are you doing a 2 or 3 day run?

Are you sticking to the Mojave Road only?

Either way Beale Mt. is a regular stop for many. It located on the fringe of Mojave Trail just east of Marl Springs 6.14 miles NW of Kelso Cima Road. I can give you coordinates for it. Because of the small size and shape of the mountain you can move around it depending on conditions and hide from just about any wind angle.

Caruthers Canyon is off the trail but very scenic.

There are some cool over look sites off Aiken Mine road up on the side of several cinder cones, very desolate but insane views.

17 mile point is another regular stop and is 1.8 miles past the intersection of Kelbaker and the Mojave Road (AKA Old Government Road and sometimes Cedar road)

You can pretty much camp where you feel like it and not worry about anything. A few days ago I saw a couple camped out in the corral next to Aiken Mine Road, I guess they felt safe inside it? :)

I can email you a list of GPS coordinates. I also have a really good KMZ file for Google Earth and a GPX file for your GPS.

Let me know.

To answer your questions...
Yes, I have been planning this trip for 6 months now and just haven't had the opportunity to get away for a few days to make the run. I have combed over previous trip reports, bought the guide book, have laptop w/gps , etc , etc....., prepped the cruiser so i think i am good to go from that standpoint.

We will be spending the night in Laughlin and heading out at sun up.

This will be a three day trip.

Probably sticking to the road for the most part as possible for my first trip. I do want to venture out some if there is something i defiantly need to see or if there is a killer campsite somewhere. I thought i saw a photo of SOCALFJ camping in a canyon somewhere I thought on the Mojave road run and i thought that would be cool. Other than that, i am just looking for good suggestions on where to camp and GPS coord's would be great!

Thanks...

Sorry if I sounded condescending, do you have an email where I can send you the campsite coords? :) 3 days will allow you to see a lot if you plan to stick to the trail.

We were just out there a couple weeks back.

I think one of the best campsites I've seen out there so far, is the one up near the top of Caruthers canyon. As you go up the road, there are some branches off to the left, most of these go to campsites which are OK, pretty much flat spots with a fire ring.

However, if you stay on the main trail, toward the end, the canyon narrows considerably. There is a right turn that will go up a short way. (there's actually more than one right turn with some cool spots) You'll need to do a little scouting around to find this one, but there is a great spot up there with a built-in concrete picnic table/benches, big enough for 5 vehicles or so. Kinda sheltered with huge rocks around it, very nice. Best site I've seen in the whole preserve. If it's taken, there's another one just down the road a couple hundred yards or so, that's where we stayed. This whole area with the different sites can all be scouted in about 10 minutes.

And, if you continue straight up the canyon a bit, there's actually some fun wheelin' up there, and there are some smaller campsites that are pretty cool. You might even find a challenge or two up there. elevation is 5800', so a bit cool at night. when we were there it was freezing and very windy, but should be a bit warmer when you go.

Ditto on the Aiken Cinder mine, it's a few minutes off the MR, but it's a must-see.

Dana

You have enough time to get licensed and setup 2m/70cm in your rig. HRO has a used Yaesu 7800 for $160.

You're a smart dude, so you should only need an evening to study.

We were just out there a couple weeks back.

I think one of the best campsites I've seen out there so far, is the one up near the top of Caruthers canyon. As you go up the road, there are some branches off to the left, most of these go to campsites which are OK, pretty much flat spots with a fire ring.

However, if you stay on the main trail, toward the end, the canyon narrows considerably. There is a right turn that will go up a short way. (there's actually more than one right turn with some cool spots) You'll need to do a little scouting around to find this one, but there is a great spot up there with a built-in concrete picnic table/benches, big enough for 5 vehicles or so. Kinda sheltered with huge rocks around it, very nice. Best site I've seen in the whole preserve. If it's taken, there's another one just down the road a couple hundred yards or so, that's where we stayed. This whole area with the different sites can all be scouted in about 10 minutes.

And, if you continue straight up the canyon a bit, there's actually some fun wheelin' up there, and there are some smaller campsites that are pretty cool. You might even find a challenge or two up there. elevation is 5800', so a bit cool at night. when we were there it was freezing and very windy, but should be a bit warmer when you go.

Ditto on the Aiken Cinder mine, it's a few minutes off the MR, but it's a must-see.

Dana

:clap: THANK YOU!! This is the sort of info i am hoping for. Thank you again very much for the detailed info!

You have enough time to get licensed and setup 2m/70cm in your rig. HRO has a used Yaesu 7800 for $160.

You're a smart dude, so you should only need an evening to study.

An evening to study, is this SoCal_80 guy Einstein? :) Kidding of course.

Here are some coords. for several campsites which are all primitive with the exception of Mid Hills and Hole and the Wall. If you decide to veer off the Mojave Trail south you won't be disappointed. Take Black Canyon road south to Mid Hills and Hole and the Wall. There is a short cut from Government Holes but Black Canyon is wide open and graded allowing you to cover long distances at almost freeway speeds.

Hidden *
35° 6'9.29"
114°46'27.50"
This a great spot if you want to camp instead of stay in a hotel for night one.

Beale Mtn. *
35°10'55.07"
115°36'49.92"

17 mile point *
35°13'17.39"
115°53'40.76"

Caruthers Canyon *
35°14'22.86"
115°18'3.65"

Cinder Cone Campsite *
35°11'33.75"
115°46'17.96"

Mid-Hills Campground
35° 7' 49.53"
115° 26' 2.06"

Hole in the Wall
35° 2'43.18"
115°23'29.83"

* Denotes primitive campsite

Last edited:
An evening to study, is this SoCal_80 guy Einstein? :) Kidding of course.

Here are some coords. for several campsites which are all primitive with the exception of Mid Hills and Hole and the Wall. If you decide to veer off the Mojave Trail south you won't be disappointed. Take Black Canyon road south to Mid Hills and Hole and the Wall. There is a short cut from Government Holes but Black Canyon is wide open and graded allowing you to cover long distances at almost freeway speeds.

Hidden *
35° 6'9.29"
114°46'27.50"
This a great spot if you want to camp instead of stay in a hotel for night one.

Beale Mtn. *
35°10'55.07"
115°36'49.92"

17 mile point *
35°13'17.39"
115°53'40.76"

Caruthers Canyon *
35°14'22.86"
115°18'3.65"

Cinder Cone Campsite *
35°11'33.75"
115°46'17.96"

Mid-Hills Campground
35° 7' 49.53"
115° 26' 2.06"

Hole in the Wall
35° 2'43.18"
115°23'29.83"

* Denotes primitive campsite

Awesome! Thank you again....It sounds like i defiantly need to venture off the road and check out the Mid Hills area. So, if we start the road at sun up on a Friday, will that leave enough time to enjoy the trip , time to explore and make it back to Long Beach by sometime Sunday evening ?

Awesome! Thank you again....It sounds like i defiantly need to venture off the road and check out the Mid Hills area. So, if we start the road at sun up on a Friday, will that leave enough time to enjoy the trip , time to explore and make it back to Long Beach by sometime Sunday evening ?

Actually Hole in the Wall is what you really want to see if possible. Mid Hills has been badly burned and is very stark but is still a pretty area. 3 days is plenty. I covered over 200 miles of dirt and was home by 6:00pm on Sunday. Check out the link I posted, there are some great pics. Have a good time and post lots of pics.

Yes, dana and I drove through Mid hills campground a few weeks back and its almost completely burned. Not very nice at all.

As far as time goes, you should have plenty of time to do a good deal of exploring along the trail and short side trips as long as you guys communicate well and are mostly on the same page.

Our first day we made it to Caruthers. Second day to 17 Mile point and last day easily out to Hwy 15 at Afton Cnyn by lunch'ish time.

Thanks Brad...Ya, I think we will be pretty much following the same time frame/game plan you had.
Thanks again..

Mojave Trail

Is this trip still on? I was out at Afton Canyon a few weeks ago, just for the day.
YouTube - Afton Canyon Part 2

I would like to tag along and do the whole trail, if you dont mind Broncos.

Last weekend Mid Hills was covered in snow. Very back end of the campground escaped the fires and there are some nice spots back there. A good portion of the camp was burned. We chose to stay at Hole in the Wall. Nice, but not spectacular. $12 to support the park service. Hosts were a very nice couple.

Check out Boyd's thread trip report on our adventure and pictures.

Have fun!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom