Mojave heater install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

workingdog

GOLD Star
Threads
I lost my stock heater a while ago and I'm going on a snow run next weekend and I wanted a heater so I can defrost the windshield. I bought the Mojave from Flex-a-lite because it's small and cheap and has decent reviews. It's a traditional hot coolant heater with 3 speed fan.

https://www.amazon.com/Flex-a-lite-...&qid=1548023836&sr=8-1&keywords=mojave+heater

It's also available from other places with different names. I also got the plenum with the side mounted defroster outlet. I since found another version of the plenum that's shallower with no defroster outlet.

The heater has coolant inlet and outlet on one side. You can open up the case and flip the heat exchanger over to move them to the other side with little effort.

I chose to mount the heater under the glove box. It really won't fit cleanly where the stock heater fit. With the plenum, if you face it towards the passenger, it sticks past the edge of the dash, which I didn't like, so I turned it 90 degrees. I figure it really doesn't matter where the hot air is blowing as long as it's blowing. Doing that, I also had to swap the defroster outlet with one of the vents to get the defroster outlet in the right position - that was pretty easy process. You can see the result. From there, you have to wire it - it comes with 3 position rotary switch - and plumb it to the heater outlet on the engine, and connect it up to the defrost ducting.

This post is mostly about mounting and defroster ducting. Mounting was easy, I used 1/2" spacers to keep it a little off the underside.

Ducting took a little time to figure out, but was easy once I got all the right parts. The defroster outlet on the Mojave is pretty big. All the big box hardware stores carry 'hose kits' for shop vacs for under $20. I bought one of the bigger ones (2 1/2") and one of the smaller ones (1 7/8"). I could have just bought a section of the 1 7/8" hose. All of the little connectors included in the kit were of little help. The large hose slid inside the defroster outlet and I could tape it in place. I could then tape it to an 1 1/2" sanitary T. Then the 1 7/8" hose fits snugly into the other two ends of the sanitary T and taped top secure in place. The 1 7/8" hose goes onto the defroster air supply tubes very snuggly. My stock hose from the driver's side was still in the dash, so I used an 1 1/2" coupler to connect it to a short section of shop vac hose.

To get any kind of flow out of the defroster, you have to close both the outlets on the heater - and it's still not great. The FJ60 defroster outlets are just not that great a design

IMG_4028.jpg

IMG_4030 annotated.jpg

IMG_4027 annotated.jpg

IMG_4031.jpg

It ended up fine. But we took it out because the thing generates so much heat naturally that we don't use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom