Mojave desert (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm shooting out to the Mojave for the long weekend. I am leaving SD early Friday morning and driving up. Besides the 140 mile Mojave Road, there is supposedly 1000+ miles of trail with a wide variety of difficulty. If somebody feels like doing a little wheelin' this weekend, let me know.

Have fun but keep an eye on the weather. Wish I could say I'd join but will be "suffering" up in Mammoth.

Normally the weather is pretty nice around christmas time. Usually, it warms up a bit and cools down again mid January, but still unpredictable.

It is supposed to rain out here on Friday and Saturday, usually the stretch of the desert that the mojave trail is on gets pounded like crazy. So prepare, also, the night temps have been in the high 20's on a couple of nights, so dress warm, even though it is 70 degrees in the day. I gets much warmer at night when you get closer to the colorado river. Enjoy, the desert is still a little green from the rain this year, and many springs are still flowing.

DBS311 said:
I'm shooting out to the Mojave for the long weekend. I am leaving SD early Friday morning and driving up. Besides the 140 mile Mojave Road, there is supposedly 1000+ miles of trail with a wide variety of difficulty. If somebody feels like doing a little wheelin' this weekend, let me know.

Did you make it out to the Mojave road? Did you find any good side roads? I'm thinking about going in Feb.

calamaridog said:
Did you make it out to the Mojave road? Did you find any good side roads? I'm thinking about going in Feb.

If you plan on running the Mojave Road, you MUST get the Mojave Road Guide.

Go here and click on publications.

The proceeds go to an excellent cause, it is very detailed, informative and interesting.

http://mdhca.org/

Kofoed is sooo right. The guide is excellent, although you might also want to check with whoever answers the phone at Friends of the Mohave Road. Their recent newsletter (I am a member of the organization) listed a couple of really deteriorated spots on the trail where they were not sure if the road would be passable after the next rain/thunderstorm. Nonetheless, a visit to Goffs SHOULD be on your list, there are booklets available for a selfguided tour, but for much more fun, check with the caretakers or Dennis Casebier (not only author of the Guide, but also initiator of the museum at Goffs).

It is not really hard wheeling (maybe those new spots are?), but the trail has so many different terrains, it's a lot of fun. There is also a short detour one can take to "Calico Early Man site" off I-15 on the western end of Mohave road. The dig is really interesting (noted in DeLorme topomap atlas)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom