Modifying the HJ61 VX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, i'm new here and my name is Nathan how is everybody doin. I'm trying to find one of these but i live in England so not got one yet ( i'm considering importing one from Japan though ). Anyway how difficult would it be to fit the diffs from a later turbo diesel 80 series ( including center diff ) and also would i need to fit the transfer box and gear box if so it wouldn't be worth the expense. See ya

Hi dude .. I thought you gonna have m uch more response in the Diesel section .. did you plan swap all 80 drive train in to 61 . ?

Hi Tapage, i'm hoping i can get away with fitting the two axles plus the center diff and fit ARB lockers or similar to them, without using a different manual box and transfer box. I don't know how i will go on with fitting all of it together with the old gear & trans box though. The reason why i want to do this is to improve handling ( that maybe another difficult thing to fit ) and the braking ( as you will probably know drums arn't the best ). I'm planning on fitting parts to boost power a little ( front mounted intercooler, maybe a side exit perf exhaust ), also a snorkle etc. But i got to find one first as they don't exist in the U.K. . See ya

Nathan.

Hopefully swap all three diffs and fit both 80 series axles, after that is done the coil suspension and braking system ( power assisted i know my dad owns one ) from the 80 can be fitted that is the theory.

Last edited:
I would keep 2 axles ( diferentials ? ) from 80 series .. more tough stuff ( unice weak point the fron 3rd member 8" HP ) and braking power, that's true.. but more than 2.48:1 in the HF1A / HF2A I prefeer keep the old BF1A with the capabilitie for a crawler box or crawler gears ..

Hi Tapage what is it about the diffs that you want to know mate ?.

I thought are the same diff that I have here in my 80 series ..

layeye.jpg

your question is a little hard to understand. if your asking about swapping front and rear axles from a 80 to a hj61 this can be done. you dont need to swap the transfercase, but this can be done too. i dont know if there would be much benefit to all this work though. It would take a lot of work and money to find all these parts and then modify them to fit.

It would be better to just build a 4 link suspension for front and rear and use the axles on it and pick what ever kind of spring you want.

Keep the 61 axles, try and get cable lockers and link it.

Drum brakes in the rear are by no means problem matic, could easily be converted to discs but then there is the parking brake issue.

Could go with eldo calipers and have the parking brake.

Rob

The only thing is them cable locking diffs might be less capable compared with the later diffs from the 80. Although the axles and diffs are probably stronger.
Tapage that's a nice Landcruiser you got there, we got the usual headlights and no lights in the bumper.

Cody if i find a smashed cruiser and the parts are undamaged ( & have the confidence that the diffs were regularly maintained ) hopefully i will get the parts cheap.

i think i know what you are trying to do. But i think keeping the stock axles and doing a four link, would be more economical and better end product. Cruiser axles with stock lockers in them are never cheap. But the suspension of the 80 series would be nice. But still i would prefer a triangulated 4 link. And there is nothing wrong with the axles that come on a 61. and the full float rears are the shizznit.

You are a true purist, I myself would not use the Eldo calipers and would put a ebrake on the drive shaft also.

At this point I recomend rear disc brake conversion but e-brake on the t-case.

Explain less capable?

The only thing is them cable locking diffs might be less capable compared with the later diffs from the 80. Although the axles and diffs are probably stronger.
Tapage that's a nice Landcruiser you got there, we got the usual headlights and no lights in the bumper.

Ok Radd Cruisers what i mean to say was there is no center diff and isn't full time 4WD. I thought it would be a good conversion for diesel 60's as it would give the obvious benifits. I just don't like leaf springs as i know what the 60 is like to drive ( very agricultural ).

You are a true purist, I myself would not use the Eldo calipers and would put a ebrake on the drive shaft also.

I have Eldo Calipers in my 60 .. they break very well, but the e-brake is useless ( can't stop my cruiser if are in movement barely when it's stopend .. and flat surface )

Thanks dude ..

Hi guys, i havn't posted in a while, one piece of info i didn't tell ya about is this, i want to make the 61 into a mini monster truck but not too big. Can it be done with this 4 link coil suspension conversion idea ? ( will convert the brakes to discs ). I will see how everything is first before fitting 80 series axels, diffs and suspension etc, because where i live there isn't many almost verticle hills to climb and the fact that i've never driven off road before. See ya

hey, 4 link is what you want for big lifts, please pick up some north american 4x4 mags, and try and find some people who have lifted vehicles, they should help alot too. Also have a look at some of the vehicles in the hardcore threads, you can learn alot about going bigger there too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom