Modifying oilpan for axlehousing clearance? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need to add few inches to width of the axles under my truggy, but removed all the factory bumpstops so the housing is within 1/4" of the frame rails at full-bump, and Toyota did a great job of providing adequate clearance, fantastic actually, but there's not enough room for larger aftermarket housing without cutting into the frame and oilpan to make some more room. Can have stock housing widened, but that's going to be a lot more work, and probably more $$$ than just buying a housing from ruffstuff. So before widen and truss the stock housing, wanted to see if anybody can tell me what's going on inside the oilpan. Wondering how much room, if any, there is to modify for additional clearance. Also looks like might be a bitch to remove that upper part of the pan?

hmmm, was gonna link to some pics of clearance in build thread on pirate, but looks like they're gone-gone-gone

Thanks, what was wondering is how much 'extra' clearance there is in there, up front above the diff. Don't wanna drop the pan just to look/see if can avoid it...

Your question is about a very specific engine/axle and location.

I would cycle your axle to figure out where it will hit the oil pan, mark the pan, remove it and see how much clearance you have to the internals, then mark and cut metal... Then put it back on with a couple bolts, tack some metal back on while its bolted to make sure it still clears moving parts... Remove and finish weld.

If your looking for someone to tell you exactly how much and where to cut and weld, you probably wont get that info.

You shouldnt need to hold any hands for this one, its not really a big deal.

Know how to check for clearance. What was ASKING was if anyone can tell me approximately how much room there is between the pan and the crank. But thanks, that was super helpful Cody.

Well, you don’t have a single piece of information like what engine you have, where the axle is relative to the oil pan, or even what truck this is in.
So how the hell are we supposed to help you?

You know what, just run it like is and let the axle smash the oil pan. It’ll be fine you definitely have at least a few inches between the bottom of the pan and the crank.

You're right, here's a link to the build thread on pirate, it's an FZJ80, there are a bunch of pictures. Anybody have an engine with a pan off could take a few measurements for me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom