1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modifications to Wildyoats roof rack

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by MDarius, Aug 17, 2006.

1. MDarius

MDarius I break stuff. SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    So I'm taking a road trip to Oregon over Labor Day and want the roof rack. I've been looking and searching and I can't find the con-ferr bulldog clamp. Con-ferr is out of business and their stuff was bought out by ORU. The ORU site doesn't have the brackets for sale separately, and doesn't offer any pictures of them so Ic an't be sure they are the same thing. Does anyone have a line on these?

I was thinking of using of using these...
    http://www.autoanything.com/roof-racks/69A1324A0A0.aspx?kc=MS278

It means they would mount differently, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Also, I like the basket effect. I like to have those little sides to help me think my stuff isn't going to fall off the rack so easily. I'm thinkin' I'll bolt some brackets on the inside of the flat aluminum and run another strip of flat aluminum or a couple strips of aluminum C Channel or 1 inch square tubing to give it sides.

I'm thinking that being 48'' wide the rack is a decent place for a couple kids to sleep. See attachment. I am no MS Paint wiz, but you'll get the idea.

So, what do you think? Any ideas, problems you see, etc.? I'm thinking of using these ramps...
    http://www.literamps.com/full_trifold_ramps.htm
    instead of the moose. A 2'' strip of aluminum at Home depot is almost $30. If you lay 4 of those down on the moose ramp it adds $120 to the cost, but you really need to in order to have a decent floor. these provide a tighter grid with less cost overall.
    Roof rack concept.JPG

2. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

You can get the Con-ferr clamps from 4WheelParts, guy I know ordered some for his JMoose a few months ago, think it was $220 for 8 of them.

3. firetruck41

firetruck41

4. firetruck41

firetruck41

Then there are Quik-N-Easy mounts. HERE is thread in the Outfitting section about them (there are a couple of posts from people confusing them with quick-fists, a whole diferent product).

5. Hayes

Hayes

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm skeptical of the tri-fold ramps. The strength of he J-Moose style rack is limited by the connection of the halves (or thirds, in your case). The physical break between the sections is totally unsupported--it relies on the bolts holding the pieces together. If your rack is going to sag at all, it will be because there is a little flex in the connection. Seems like adding another "seam" will just add more flex to the system, which probably puts more wear on the cheapo aluminum.
    Not sure about this, that's just my gut reaction.

If you can find a Metal Supermarkets near you, they have metal prices that are magnitudes cheaper than Home Depot.

Hayes

6. Hayes

Hayes

Media:
    Albums:
    Duh, I just noticed who posted the thread...

There's a Metal Supermarkets in SLC, just west of I-15, just north of 201. :doh:

Hayes

7. barrypt5

barrypt5

As far as the metal goes I would recommend trying somewhere else than Home Depot...try the local metal shop or even some fab shops will sell you metal...as long as you have cash they would probably do it and trust me it will be A LOT LOT cheaper than home depot!

ps they would probably cut it to whatever length you want too!

8. turbocruiser

turbocruiser SILVER Star

Avoid prolineracks like the plague; their stuff is super cheap and their customer service sucks. HTH.

9. MDarius

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks. I've been looking for metal fab shops in the area, hard to find from looking at the signs. I'll try the metal supermart in SLC.

I appreciate the thoughts on the tri-fold ramp.I think you're right. Using cross bars underneath would solve that, but also add an inch or 2 of wasted space, and extra materials.

Any thoughts on the tent idea? Just a stupid add on, or what? I think it would be a benefit to not have the extra gear, be able to make multiple uses out of the tarp, and it makes sure I have a place to sleep, regardless of the terrain. Plus the kids will think it's cool. Thoughts?

10. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

Lucy,
    My idea would be to do what I have on mine and have had for about 4 year snow. Thule cross bars with a 3/4" box tube with expanded metal tack welded to the frame. Mine is holow in the center but one could throw in a few more long ways braces and voila!! a flat platform. When I did mine I spent about $60 on steel, $10 for some automotive undercoating and some time with the welder.

As far as the tent goes I would go simple is best, pick up some dome tent poles (Hell I have some spares if you need them and make a hoop, all you would need is some sort of bottomed tubing to allow the tent poles to seat.

Of course as I type this it seems a lot easier to pick up a $20 walmart special two man dome and make sure your platform is big enough to go on it, a sheet of plywood on top of the rack and your good to go.

Dave

11. MDarius

Media:
    Albums:
    Update:
    I ordered the short ORU brackets from 4WheelParts. They came today, they position the rack so that the back fin does not fit under the new ramp. I have to position the rack forward of the fin on the window. They are also bent at a 90 degree angle, not 45 degrees like WildYoats. They put the new rack at the same height, minus just a touch, as if you set the ramp on top of the factory rack. I'm a little disappointed, but I'm leaving in a week and a half and don't have time to mess with a return. I'll make it work.

I also bought a 69 inch long ramp. This puts the front of the rack right over the sun roof. I took it back and got the 7 foot ramp. I think I'll cut a couple rungs out of it so it doesn't block the sunroof, then I'll use the tabs on the ramp to attach a faring and ultimately lights. I think with the taller brackets I could have positioned the ramp farther back, with the fin coming up just under the ramp, and not having a problem with blocking the sunroof.

I'll post pix if anyone cares.

12. MDarius

Media:
    Albums:
    Also, on the ramp, Sportsmans warehouse sells a 48 X 69 ramp for $80 or so. Of course, out of stock with no arrival date. I could have bought something cheaper off e-bay or other online location, free shipping, but I kept thinking, ''There has got to be a good deal locally." I ended up spending more because I waited too long to have one shipped. Just buy the ramp online. You'll never put 1200 pounds of gear on it anyways. I wasted a lot of time searching and about $40 by not taking a good deal for what it was.

2 cents.

13. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

Careful with the clamps bent at 90 degrees. Someone on here did a home brew rack and used those, they bent pretty good with a load and shifting offroad.

14. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy

I have a set of the Proline clamps and bars.
    Pretty cheap compared to Thule and have
    stood up to light abuse so far. They feel kinda chintzy,
    but at $50.00 for 4 clamps and 2 bars, it's hard to beat.

I think the Quick-n-Easy look stronger.

15. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

Lucy,
    If you are unsure on the clamps you ended up with I have a spare set of yakima cross bars you can borrow for your trip if they are needed. You would need some way to attack tot he 48" cross bars but Ubolts work pretty well.
    Dave

16. MDarius

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Phaedrus. I am a little wary of the 90 degree bend. I think I am going to use a cross bar set up on this, I intend to use the ramp heavy just occasionally, so I want it to be strong. I'm looking locally for a good cross bar solution. If I can't find one, I might just take you up on your offer. Thanks.

17. davegonz

davegonz Keeping it Weird SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I would get the Thule 300 gutter mounts and cross bars. They are low profile and will be strong...plus they are cheap if you find them on craigslist or ebay.

18. MDarius

Media:
    Albums:
    Well, I got the 45 degree brackets from 4WheelParts and returned the 90's. I used salvaged stop sign posts for cross bars...really strong and they have holes placed every inch or so, so a lot of flexibility for adding/modifying attachments. It'll be easy to mod up a bike rack or anything else that comes up. I made the cross bars 60'' wide and added a bolt on feature for jerry cans on the side in the back. It's all pretty :hillbilly: , but hey, it worked for this trip. I'll clean it up for later use and to make it look nicer...eventually. This pic is from our recent trip to OR. Stopped at 4:00 AM on an old unused portion of road. Had camp set up for 4 kids and me and mommy, and we were curled up in the sleeping bag within 30 minutes of stopping.

The roof top tent hasn't happened yet, we're still working on it.
    RoadsideRack.JPG

19. concretejungle

concretejungle SILVER Star

just curious why you camped in the middle of the road instead of off to the side?

20. MDarius

Media:
    Albums:
    Ha! Looks like the middle of the road, doesn't it? It's actually an old portion of road no longer in use. It was about a 100 yard section that didn't lead anywhere, but began and ended on the same highway. The new highway bends to the right in the picture and goes on the other side of the grass/sagebrush in the pic. It's like they just straightened that curve when they updated the highway...kind of a redneck rest area. The other answer is, it was 4:00 in the morning and that old, abandoned highway section was the flattest area available.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">