SOLD Modesto, CA: 1996 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
Color
Green
1996 Toyota Landcruiser
445,000 miles
12,000 miles on rebuilt engine and front axle.
No locking axles or differential.

Mechanical history
I bought it Modesto in 2016 from the original owner at about 395,000 miles and had the engine rebuilt by a local shop. I lived in Oregon at the time and drove it from there to Montana and back down to Modesto multiple times visiting family without issue.
The following work was done at an independent Toyota shop in Oregon
Tie rod / drag link
Trans pan gasket
VSV / Smog valves replaced

I moved back to CA in 2018 and the following work has been done at a dealer since then:
Radiator / Water pump / Thermostat
CA Compliant catalytic converters installed with new muffler and resonator (aftermarket)
A/C Compressor
In March of 2021 the engine was rebuilt again. We found that the original rebuild was done incorrectly. Engine was rebuilt at 432,840 and it has about 12,000 miles on the rebuild now (445k miles).
The front axle was rebuilt at the same time (replaced all of the seals, no mechanical issues). All belts and hoses were replaced with the rebuild.

Accessories
Clear glass depot headlights
New grille
New center caps in OE aluminum wheels
High output LED high beam bulbs
Interior lights replaced with LEDs
TPMS in each wheel with gauge on dash for temp and pressure ( See thread here )
Cheap Kenwood stereo with Bluetooth (it works, but its not great
Replaced all door speakers

Custom padded carpet insert for entire rear – folds back for back seats when they are installed

To do list
Window Felts need to be replaced
tires are ok, but not great
Drivers seat belt is fraying and annoying

I am sure there has been more done, but i cant remember it all at the moment.

The only reason I am selling is because i found a locked 100 series and really couldn't pass it up.
ive got about $20k invested in this which i know ill never see again. Id love to see $15k but i am willing to negotiate for a mudder.

more pics coming

IMG_6207.JPEG

IMG_6207.JPEG

IMG_6208.JPEG

IMG_6210.JPEG

IMG_6211.JPEG

Last edited:
1996 Toyota Landcruiser
445,000 miles
12,000 miles on rebuilt engine and front axle.
No locking axles or differential.

Mechanical history
I bought it Modesto in 2016 from the original owner at about 395,000 miles and had the engine rebuilt by a local shop. I lived in Oregon at the time and drove it from there to Montana and back down to Modesto multiple times visiting family without issue.
The following work was done at an independent Toyota shop in Oregon
Tie rod / drag link
Trans pan gasket
VSV / Smog valves replaced

I moved back to CA in 2018 and the following work has been done at a dealer since then:
Radiator / Water pump / Thermostat
CA Compliant catalytic converters installed with new muffler and resonator (aftermarket)
A/C Compressor
In March of 2021 the engine was rebuilt again. We found that the original rebuild was done incorrectly. Engine was rebuilt at 432,840 and it has about 12,000 miles on the rebuild now (445k miles).
The front axle was rebuilt at the same time (replaced all of the seals, no mechanical issues). All belts and hoses were replaced with the rebuild.

Accessories
Clear glass depot headlights
New grille
New center caps in OE aluminum wheels
High output LED high beam bulbs
Interior lights replaced with LEDs
Cheap Kenwood stereo with Bluetooth (it works, but its not great
Replaced all door speakers

Custom padded carpet insert for entire rear – folds back for back seats when they are installed

To do list
Window Felts need to be replaced
tires are ok, but not great
Drivers seat belt is fraying and annoying

I am sure there has been more done, but i cant remember it all at the moment.

The only reason I am selling is because i found a locked 100 series and really couldn't pass it up.
ive got about $20k invested in this which i know ill never see again. Id love to see $15k but i am willing to negotiate for a mudder.

more pics coming

View attachment 3216058

View attachment 3216059

View attachment 3216060

View attachment 3216062

View attachment 3216063

IMG_6212.JPEG

IMG_6213.JPEG

IMG_6214.JPEG

IMG_6215.JPEG

IMG_6216.JPEG

Additional thoughts / notes
its filthy and needs a good wash... but carpet cleaning in winter is not ideal...
hard to see paint fade / peel in the rain, but its got a bit.
sorry for the fat hand in that last group of pictures
please excuse the christmas decoration bins in the garage

Been sitting on this a while and I’m not in a hurry to sell. But I’d love to get some feedback from y’all about what you think it’s worth before posting elsewhere.

The market has cooled of considerably. Your truck mileage will scare away 90% of people for anything over 5k IMHO. But on here most people know what it takes to maintain these pigs and will have a reasonable idea of maintenance cost. Your truck looks pretty straight but like you noted with the paint fade and mileage I feel your truck would be valued around 8-10k. I have recently sold a extremely clean locked 96 with a fully rebuilt motor for $16k. As always value is in the eye of the buyer. If you provide more information on the rebuild that would help, was just the head rebuilt with new head gasket or was the bottom end worked on also piston/piston rings, bearings? Good luck.

The market has cooled of considerably. Your truck mileage will scare away 90% of people for anything over 5k IMHO. But on here most people know what it takes to maintain these pigs and will have a reasonable idea of maintenance cost. Your truck looks pretty straight but like you noted with the paint fade and mileage I feel your truck would be valued around 8-10k. I have recently sold an extremely clean locked 96 with a fully rebuilt motor for $16k. As always value is in the eye of the buyer. If you provide more information on the rebuild that would help, was just the head rebuilt with new head gasket or was the bottom end worked on also piston/piston rings, bearings? Good luck.
Thanks so much for the feedback!!

Engine was a full rebuild at a Toyota dealer
I had a noise in it that was a partial spun bearing
Thankfully there was no damage and it was able to be polished out.

The rig has been dealer serviced its entire life with the same service writer (a friend of mine). The only gap in that was the two years I lived in Oregon.

I know I’ll never get money back on this truck
But I’d hope to not loose my ass entirety 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom