Modest/Unassuming Bumpers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you're up for some custom work, there's a bunch of people on mud who have chopped the stock bumper and reinforced it for protection! Some of them look really good and it's what I plan on doing next.
Ooooh, now that sounds nice. Where can I find those posts?

@undecided , I gotta say, an 80 with out an ARB front bumper is like driving with out your seat belt. I don't know what part of NC you live in, but where I live in OR, deer are almost like flies. They're all over town, in my back yard and the 2 lane highways (no multi-lanes around here) are thick with 'em - especially at night, year around. The 2 or 3 body shops in town are almost as thick with rigs with deer damage. Mine has paid for itself at least 10 times over and not just deer. There's plenty of choices, as far as bumpers go, but for me, the classic 80 has an ARB front bumper on it.
For starters, i don't wear a seatbelt often lol

But yeah, deer are an issue here, but I've been lucky to not have many problems. I want it to look fairly close to stock and I'm not a fan of the outback rig look of the ARBs. Great bumpers tho

Remember the end caps on the OE bumpers are sacrificial, keep this in mind when making your purchase.

Regards

Dave
Already ripped both of them off unintentionally lol, it's what made me want a touch more protection.

If I could get some hefty metal end caps and a simple skid plate I think I'd be set.

For starters, i don't wear a seatbelt often lol

But yeah, deer are an issue here, but I've been lucky to not have many problems. I want it to look fairly close to stock and I'm not a fan of the outback rig look of the ARBs. Great bumpers tho
I hear ya! I love the stock look of the 80 series, too. But, looks ain't function and that's why mine has an ARB.

In my opinion to have meaningful protection from deer means also having tubing to protect the radiator and headlights. At that point the bumper is a whole lot less unassuming.

If you want something lightweight, a bit stronger than stock, and can fit a winch while being affordable you can check out this post.

In my opinion to have meaningful protection from deer means also having tubing to protect the radiator and headlights. At that point the bumper is a whole lot less unassuming.
I'm not really looking for deer protection, just something that won't rip off or get destroyed if it's drug over a rock

Already ripped both of them off unintentionally lol, it's what made me want a touch more protection.

If I could get some hefty metal end caps and a simple skid plate I think I'd be set.

This the point of the end caps, they protect the tyre if you hit them hard enough, if they get pulled off then simply rivet them back on, if they were made of steel and you hit something hard enough then bang goes a tyre.

Regards

Dave

I try to keep my wenches hidden too.

This the point of the end caps, they protect the tyre if you hit them hard enough, if they get pulled off then simply rivet them back on, if they were made of steel and you hit something hard enough then bang goes a tyre.

Regards

Dave
Ah dang, I didn’t think about that. I might just stick with the factory bumpers and a hidden winch mount.

Not to sound like a salesman... but we sell a winch plate that can work with the stock bumper after some modification.
Kind of a poor picture but it was to prove the point. The link to the discussion here Bolt on 80 Series Winch Plate - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bolt-on-80-series-winch-plate.1290380/page-2
winch with stock bumper.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom