Modern radio in FJ62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So how do you go about putting a modern radio into the funky shaped spot in the FJ62?

Steve

So how do you go about putting a modern radio into the funky shaped spot in the FJ62?

Steve

Mine came with what looks like a double din sony cd/tape deck and there still pretty big hole below it. I would be interested what the stock 62 radio looks like installed.

Steve, pages of 'Mud posts exist regarding this.
Many folks (including myself) stab in a Scion head unit.

Picked up one for my 62 on Ebay - can't remember which car it was out of - I believe it was an early 90's Toyota. It's plug and play. Just make sure it has a built in amplifier .
radio.jpg

I put a new single din Pioneer and a pocket with a door out off a mid 90's camry.

Putting a radio in a toyota is as easy as changing oil.

bro in law did mine, picked up the pocket at al and eds, $20. Bolted right up. Standard toyota pocket, used the same at my 91 4x4.

Thanks y'all.

I think the DIN and pocket thing is the way I will go.

Steve

Picked up one for my 62 on Ebay - can't remember which car it was out of - I believe it was an early 90's Toyota. It's plug and play. Just make sure it has a built in amplifier .

This is the way I was thinking about going. Do you have a way to hook up an iPod?

Someone on here installed a unit out of a Tacoma that fit perfectly and looked great. Can't remember the year but I remember it had the jack for the Ipod like the scion units.

A Pioneer DPH4000iB or 5000iB will work and comes with the cable to hook up the iPod. What I have and seems to do the trick. Plus the 5000iB can be mounted at around 70 degrees if you decide you want to install it in an aftermarket console

radio

single din alpine with pocket:

l_c85f618cad531768b334789872ca25de.jpg

hey fjsixtytwo i have the same radio and i love it

For anyone interested. Cruiserpants, I had the same one stock in my 99' 4 Runner Limited edition (RIP), I also believe it comes in the Tacomas, but they don't have the I-pod plug. In my 62 I have the pocket style above and it fits any aftermarket head unit. Thanks for the info on the Scion unit guys, I'm gonna dig one of them up real soon.

I took out the double-DIN stock radio/tape deck. Separated the tape deck part from the rest. Pulled the circuit boards out and sanded the face plate. Put some masking tape over the back of the tape-insert hole. Filled all depressions with marine bondo (3M product). Sanded the face smooth and flat. Then sprayed with black bedliner. Lightly stuck a piece of textured paper towel on face after bedliner was half-cured and peeled it away, leaving a nice diamond texture.
Installed a single-DIN cd player on top with the empty tape-player filler on the bottom.
I know it sounds horribly white-trash; actually everyone at work gave me hell as they walked by. But I've gotten a lot of complements on it . It turned out pretty well, and only cost me three squirts of bedliner and about 2 oz of bondo. I'll post a pic if anyone's interested. Otherwise, I'll slink off into the cheap-skate corner :).

I've got a double din JVC in mine, looks like it was born there (other than being silver). Includes a cassette, which is nice for playing my portable dvd through the truck speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom