1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moderate drinkers make better thinkers

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by tea LC, Aug 3, 2005.

1. tea LC

tea LC

A woman appreciates a glass of wine in Sydney. Moderate drinkers make better thinkers than those who tipple too much or not at all, a new Australian study says(AFP/File/Rob Elliot)

[​IMG]

Full Story: Yahoo News

SYDNEY, (AFP) - Moderate drinkers make better thinkers than those who tipple too much or not at all, a new Australian study says.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Verbal skills, memory and speed of thought were all faster and better in people who drank moderately compared to heavy drinkers and tee-totallers, according to tests done on 7,000 Australians.

Men who consume 14-28 alcoholic drinks a week and women who imbibe 7-14 glasses a week were classed as moderate drinkers.

The study, conducted by researchers at the Australian National University, interviewed people aged 20-24, 40-44 and 60-64. It said the findings were similar in all age-groups.

Doctors Kaarin Anstey and Bryan Rodgers also found that those who drink moderate amounts were also healthier.

"The research looked at factors including physical health, personality, social supports, friendships and enemies, and yet these did not explain it," Rodgers told the Daily Telegraph newspaper. "It's a mystery."

"We found that people who did not drink were more likely to have poorer mental and physical health, less education, and poorer lifestyles," Anstey said in a statement.

"However, these factors are not sufficient to fully explain the results and further research is required to obtain a clearer picture of exactly what this means for our thinking abilities."

---

SALUDE! :beer:

2. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    i'd hit it

3. reffug

reffug

the booze that is............................

4. LabRat11

LabRat11

Is there anything you wouldn't???
    I dont think a pulse is in your list of requirements.

:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :D

5. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

28 drinks a week = 4 drinks per day. 4 drinks = pretty good buzz, I'd think that is within heavy drinker status, not moderate. NTTIAWWT, but I doubt someone who gets sloshed everyday has clearer thinking.

6. Jman

Jman

You gotta keep in mind that they're talking about Ozzies. . . . . :rolleyes:

7. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    i wouldnt "hit" fat chicks, guys, animals, or disease ridden anything..............

unless she was hot.... :grinpimp: :flipoff2:

8. tea LC

tea LC

yea but dont assume u need to have all 4 drinks at once (so american :flipoff2: ) -- if you have 1 or 2 at lunch, one after work, one or two w/dinner most people will be fine -- unless you're 40lbs and a big :princess:

9. re_guderian

re_guderian SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Correlation does not equal causation :rolleyes: There are SO many other factors that link into this. Like people with no education dont' make as much money, and can't afford to drink 4+x/day, etc. etc. This story surfaces every few years. Must be a slow news day on Yahoo...

10. tea LC

tea LC

here we go with the chicken or the egg debate :rolleyes:

go have a drink! :flipoff2:

11. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

salud .. !

Merlot .. [​IMG]

12. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

I certainly feel smarter after I've had a few drinks. Downright brilliant, in fact.

13. macneill

macneill Rollin’ on 33s

A beer and a shot count as one drink right?

14. reffug

reffug

DITTO!!!!

15. Jman

Jman

And are moderate fawkers better lovers?

16. e rock

e rock

Apparently I had an incident in college; I say 'apparently' because I don't remember that much of it and most of the story is therefore based on hearsay.

Finals week prior to summer break and my housemate Brad and I were done with our finals Wednesday morning. No parties until the end of the week since everyone else we knew would be studying. We spent the remainder of the day playing volleyball and getting ourselves good and dehydrated. Then we went home and started drinking rum-n-cokes. I have no idea how much rum I had, but I went through a couple 2-liter bottles of coke while mixing them stiff. Since I was so thirsty, they went down pretty fast.

At some point in the evening, I began to wax eloquent on the virtues of alcohol. Apparently the main point of my dissertation, which went on for quite some time, was that whoever invented alcohol should be presented with some sort of award - posthumously of course. None of the presently available awards (Nobel, et al.) seemed to do adequate justice to the man that so blessed future humanity with such a fine product in virtually all of it's various forms so we would have to invent a new 'Humanity Enrichment Prize' or something similar.

That evening was also the only known occurance of anyone ever beating my other housemate Xiao in table tennis. When I won, I thrust my hands into the air with such victorious force that apparently my feet followed suit, landing me squarely on my back, confused as to my state but still celebrating the win.

Shortly after that, the puking began. That was 10 years ago and I still can't drink rum without feeling ill. It took me at least 5 years to be able to drink Coke again.

That guy should still get an award or something...